how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lamsao

join:2008-01-31
Fairfax, VA

How to disable "Home Voice Mail" service

I am having Verizon Freedom Essentials service (as part of the triple deal) which includes Home Voice Mail feature.

Does anyone know how disable the Home Voice Mail feature, since I am using Answering Machine System on my phone?

Many thanks,
Lamsao
PS: I don't know where I should post this question. If this is not the right forum, please move it to the appropriate one.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

You have to tell Verizon you don't want that feature.

PJL

@verizon.net
reply to lamsao

I don't know how to turn it off, but I just set the number of rings before it picks up to as high as possible. That way my home answering machine always picks up first, except when I'm making a call and don't pick it up in time, or am dialing out and a call comes in, in which case it goes directly to the Verizon VM.

Calabria

join:2007-11-06
Lansdale, PA
reply to lamsao

Call V* they will disable it.I've done it.i think its possible to do it online too.Just go to your V* online account go under my phone,features and uncheck voice mail.

lamsao

Fairfax, VA

said by Calabria:

Call V* they will disable it.I've done it.i think its possible to do it online too.Just go to your V* online account go under my phone,features and uncheck voice mail.
Thanks. Good to know that it can be done online (I guess you know why). But, can I reinstate after having it disabled? Any fee?

lets456

join:2008-01-21
Hainesport, NJ

Why would you want to do that? It comes "free" with the package, you can get your VM from anywhere and when the power goes off and your away you don't have to reset anything...

Maybe I am missing something?

Also, I have a phone that has an indicator light on it that shows when I have a VM, maybe that's why you want to disable because you don't know if you have a message?

markanon

@pacbell.net
reply to lamsao

LETS - for me I disabled it because re-educating the other people in my house (read that wife and kids) on how to use some other service would be a painful event.

They know how to answer the phone and dial out and get the current voice mail by hitting one button - anything more complicated than that puts a burden on me.

Not to mention I like having the ability to really easily disable the answering machine (for incoming faxes) by simply unplugging the base station. And I can easily instruct my wife how to do that - would this free Verizon service be as easy to shut on and off? If the answer is no, forget it. I would spend countless hours on the phone (from work) explaining to her how to make it work. I'd rather stick a pin in my eye.

lamsao

Fairfax, VA

1 edit
reply to lets456

said by lets456:

Why would you want to do that? It comes "free" with the package, you can get your VM from anywhere and when the power goes off and your away you don't have to reset anything...

Also, I have a phone that has an indicator light on it that shows when I have a VM, maybe that's why you want to disable because you don't know if you have a message?
The reasons are:
1. When there is a VM and you want to dial out, you will first hear a few interrupted dial tones before the phone actually dial out.
2. I don't have a compatible phone that will let me know when there is a Verizon's VM.
3. I already have an answering machine phone and it is much easier and more convenient to to use. It does not hold up the line when you are checking VM. I can check VM while away from home too.

You brought up a very good point about power outage. So, it would be nice if the feature can be easily and conveniently disabled/enabled. Then I will only turn it on when away from home for a long trip.

urkelOs

join:2008-03-02
reply to lets456

said by lets456:

I declined the VZ VM option when I signed up for the bundle because I liked my existing cordless phone/answering machine combo and saw no reason to change. I can retrieve messages remotely, and it's completely dependable. The combo is on UPS, so there's very little chance that a power failure will disrupt service. That might seem a little extreme, but my neighborhood has frequent short-lived power outages (ancient grid) and I just got tired of resetting the clock and losing cordless phone service during bad weather. Just my two cents...