spc
uniqs
omputeretard
join:2008-03-04
Decatur, IN

omputeretard to bcastner

to bcastner

Re: MonaRonaDona "virus"?

you are the man. i am primadona free thanks to you.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57

Premium Member

All Hail bcastner See Profile, All Hail!

Hopefully, this thread and this experience will cause a bit of a light bulb to come on for some of the less computer-literate.

This infection is pure social engineering.

Don't believe everything you see in a pop-up on your screen, in an e-mail, etc.
In fact, don't even open unrecognized e-mails. Simply delete them.

You have no unknown benefactor in Nigeria who has died and willed you a large amount of money, if only you could send the cash for the process to be transacted.

You have no virus or other issue with your computer simply because some random and unrecognized pop-up says so, with the "guaranteed cure right here at this link".
Etc.

And when in doubt, don't do it.

Learning from mistakes is a positive experience.
Ignoring mistakes and continuing to make the same ones is strictly a dead-end street, and potentially a ticket to a financial nightmare or identity theft merry-go-round.

It does keep folks busy in this forum, though.
omputeretard
join:2008-03-04
Decatur, IN

omputeretard

well yeah i have learned a few things. but when i found errorsmart i was on the microsoft download site. what are they thinking? i mean its not very professional of them to go screwing people out of money. yay to corporate wool over my blind and unintelligent eyelids. it must have been an add or something that i assumed was from microsuck.
omputeretard

omputeretard to AB57

to AB57
well yeah i have learned a few things. but when i found errorsmart i was on the microsoft download site. what are they thinking? i mean its not very professinal of them to go screwing people out of money. yay to corperate wool over my blind and unintelligent eyelids. it must have been an add or something that i assumed was from microsuck.
classical62
join:2008-03-03
Vacaville, CA

1 recommendation

classical62 to AB57

to AB57
said by AB57:

All Hail bcastner See Profile, All Hail!

Hopefully, this thread and this experience will cause a bit of a light bulb to come on for some of the less computer-literate.
I'll double that "hail" and raise you a three cheers!
AB~ I agree with you on this actually "easy" lesson that was learned..I think my light bulb was having a bit of an electrical connection and that's why I did a dumb thing and downloaded that *^&$ virus...I KNOW better than to open email I don't recognize as well as be mindful of what I download...funny thing is I was scolding myself for not listening to my intuitin the other day and then I went ahead and didn't listen and got a pain the the *** for my troubles.
Thank you all again for your time and I will behave myself from now on