Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

2 recommendations

Morac

It would work, but not for the reasons given

quote:
hinted that there would be less piracy if users simply knew what they were doing was illegal
I'm pretty sure most people at this point know downloading pirated material is illegal, the same way that people know speeding is illegal. They do both anyway because the gains outweight the risk of being caught.

People would stop downloading pirated material if they knew their ISP was watching them, not because they didn't know what they were doing was illegal, but for the same reason people don't speed in front of cops. At that point, the risk of getting caught way outweighs any possible gains.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by Morac:

I'm pretty sure most people at this point know downloading pirated material is illegal, the same way that people know speeding is illegal.
Actually I rather doubt that. There is nothing in the online experience that tells them this. So how would they know?

From personal experience with my family and friends, I know that people are surprised when I tell them that downloading songs and videos for free is illegal and leaves them vulnerable to being sued.

The usual response is something like "Huh? So-and-so told me about this great website, all I had to do was click a few times and it was downloading. It told me I needed to share to get better downloads so I loaded some of my CDs onto it. I bought them, so I can do anything I want with them."

I actually had several arguments with my daughter who was using (I think) LimeWire. She finally took it off but was really angry at me. Then, her friend's sister got sued by the RIAA. When she told me, the look on her face was priceless. She looked at me like, "Wow! My Dad was actually right! And I thought I knew everything!"

Millenniumle
join:2007-11-11
Fredonia, NY

Millenniumle to Morac

to Morac

I agree.

It's pretty much a free for all right now, and may continue to be even with monitoring, provided transfers are encrypted. Maybe ISP's will serve up the warnings based on blacklisted source IP or protocol rather than actual content. Identifying the actual content, its copyright, and whether the transfer is with or without permission seems a virtually impossible task even without encryption. It seems that at best an ISP could identify possible copyright violation activity.

Again, I think you are exactly right. Most won't proceed if they get hit with a warning. Suddenly they'd feel they are going to get into trouble if they proceed. Of course, if it turns out that ISP's really aren't able to identify actual violations, which it would seem difficult to do 'on mass,' then the warnings could quickly gain a reputation as being meaningless.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to Morac

to Morac

Re: It would work, but not for the reasons given

Who knows what horrible outcome might happen. I've already had problems with software I bought over copy right crap.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas
I'll agree that some people are still unaware, but with the amount of commercials the **AA is putting out (eg: "you wouldn't steal a car..."), that number is going down.