Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to FFH5

Re: I don't like France's proposed policy

Uhm... I can't answer that, can you?
Is Caltrans the cops that write you a ticket for speeding on the roads they build and maintain? No!

Should the ISP that builds and maintains the line you & I use be the cops? No!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by dadkins:

Is Caltrans the cops that write you a ticket for speeding on the roads they build and maintain? No!

NYC, Philadelphia, etc all have their own transit cops and railroads have their own railroad cops(paid by the railroads). Why shouldn't ISPs have their own internet cops?
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

Ok, but they themselves are not the cops. See the difference here?

Seeing as it is not the ISPs bitching about the illegal transfers of material(s), then it should not be the ISPs (or you and I) footing the bill for police type services.

Are you willing to have more restrictions applied to your connection *AND* pay more each month so some private company/entity can dictate what the ISPs should do?

Fuck that!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

nipseyrussel
Nipsey Russell, yo

join:2002-02-22
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
railroads hire transit cops because (a) if they dont their customers are in danger and are less likely to ride -thus they would lose customers and (b) they are protecting the actual physical safety of their customers

with respect to (a) the ISPs stand to lose customers if they police content, and re (b) no one is going to get stabbed or raped in kazaa like they might on the subway.

here we have a situation where most of the ISPs and their customers have no desire to have themselves policed, so let them keep up their dumass lawsuits

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

Not to mention that filtering content opens ISPs up to liability. No filter is going to be 100% perfect. If they block some copyrighted material from being transferred without permission, but don't block others, then they might be sued by the owners of the non-filtered items. If they don't filter at all, they can claim Common Carrier and are shielded from being sued.

Premium
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:2
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by dadkins:

NYC, Philadelphia, etc all have their own transit cops and railroads have their own railroad cops(paid by the railroads). Why shouldn't ISPs have their own internet cops?
You talking about government, isp is not government. RIAA soon will be out of existence, as they refuse to adapt to new reality. Make all songs cheap to download, say 50c and it will not worth for people to pirate. Till then people will pirate and their is nothing RIAA can do about it

vannyx
Premium
join:2003-07-07
Bronx, NY
All i can say is amazing, when people complain about something, like isps blocking stuff and ask for some kind of regular from the government to stop it these guys come out o the wood work and argue that the free market should decided , let the free market handle it, if you dont like it dont subscribe to that isp, these are citizens asking for help from the government to fix something they feel will become a problem. So now we have a private entity that wants another private entity to impose restrictions and to violate there customers privacy for this private entities gain. So why dont i see anyone saying that the free market should decide this, but guess what the free market has decided this. According to the RIAA/MPAA they are loosing sales, which if this is true then the free market has chosen not to support your outdated model, so stop trying to force 3rd parties to bend to your will. ( dont get started on this whole piracy thing). If you feel someone is stealing from you then go through the due process and charge them a reasonable fee for the violation and actually prove your case. The market has spoken now evolve or die.