spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsldan

join:2001-11-06
Forest Hills, NY

Linksys: Connect on demand or keep alive?

Anyone know the correct setting for the Linksys 4 port - Connect on demand or keep alive? Linksys says, try one, and if it doesn't work, try the other. Which is best? And why?

Thanks,
Dan

Joydrop
A Witty Saying Proves Nothing. -Voltaire

join:2001-07-19
Milliways

I set my router to keep the connection alive.

Connect on demand will terminate the PPPoE session when it isn't needed. Say you pop up explorer and browse to a webpage. Your router would then take a few seconds to authenticate which causes a slight delay. Since your modem is on, why not be connected? That's why imo, keep alive works best for me. It also gives me nice "uptimes" on the Verizon usage page!

I guess it comes down to how you want to handle your connection, but I'd set it to keep the connection alive.

[text was edited by author 2001-12-16 07:18:24]

Weapons Of Masturbation
Premium
join:2001-10-20
kudos:1
reply to dsldan
Anyone know the correct setting for the Linksys 4 port - Connect on demand or keep alive?
"Keep alive" does precisely that: it keeps your DSL
PPPoE connection alive when there is no traffic between
your LAN and WAN (the DSL modem to Internet).

- djb

sadowski
I Am My Own Doppelganger
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-14
Buffalo, NY
reply to dsldan
said by dsldan:
Which is best? And why?
If you are paranoid about security use On-Demand. After X minutes of inactivity the Linksys will drop your connection and your machine will not be reachable from the outside world.

If you run servers you want to be accessible via the Internet or have applications that need Internet access scheduled to run unattended then use Keep-Alive which will reestablish your connection if for any reason it is dropped.

It's more a matter of personal choice than anything else.

dsldan

join:2001-11-06
Forest Hills, NY
I am a little paranoid about security, so I guess I'll use connect on demand, but with a little longer timeout than the default so it doesn't keep connecting too often. But when I leave my PC for any length of time, I want it to disconnect.

Thanks!