Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

[Scam] New York Record Retrieval, Inc.

We got this letter yesterday (personal information obscured for obvious reasons):

Of course, it sounded off all kinds of warning bells in my head so I looked into it. Sure enough, it's a scam. Oddly enough, it seems to be legal. Still, given that obtaining a copy of your deed costs about $5 from your local County Clerk, paying a company $60 to get a copy qualifies as a scam to me.

Has anyone else gotten this letter?
--
-Jason Levine
Support a children's charity. Buy a calendar. Shooting For A Cause
Jason's Toolbox | PCQandA.com

Kibbles
Premium
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Have you called them up and asked why they charge $59.50 for a $5.00 document?

stevedaytona

join:2008-03-04
Daytona Beach, FL
reply to Jason Levine

Does it qualify as a scam when they are (apparently) supplying an actual service? It may be exorbitantly priced but so are many other 'services'.

They even say that records are available fee or at nominal cost.

When I think of scams I think of people being relieved of their money when they are led to believe they will receive something but never do.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

1 edit

A reasonable profit for providing a service is one thing, but making a 1200% profit on a service rises (in my mind at least) to the level of scam.

I'm sure different counties have different procedures, but this is what my County Clerk's office had to say about it:

said by »www.albanycounty.com/county-noti···?id=1951 :

Albany County Clerk Tom Clingan Advises Property Owners to Beware of Deed Copy Scam

My office has received calls from concerned property owners about communications that they've received from "New York Retrieval, Inc" offering to secure a certified copy of the deed to their property for a fee of nearly $60.00.

This private company is in fact re-selling certified copies of deeds that can be purchased directly from my office for about ONE-TENTH of that price.

I am asking the news media to let the public know that these mailings are NOT coming from my office, which is the ONLY source for certified copies of property deeds. The public needs to know that New York Retrieval, Inc., is NOT a government entity.
The county clerk goes on to say that (for Albany, NY) deeds can be purchased online for $1.25 per page (minimum $5 fee). I've seen similar statements from other county clerks when searching for information on NY Record Retrieval, Inc.

EDIT: Minimum, not maximum.

--
-Jason Levine

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to stevedaytona

One other point from my county clerk:

What's more, this company is asking you to give them your credit card number in payment, something I cannot recommend. We never ask for credit card information, but ask customers to send us a check, which is much safer.
If a company is asking for 1200% profit on something that costs a mere $5 from the county clerk's office, why would I trust them with my credit card number? The whole thing is shady at best.
--
-Jason Levine

Kibbles
Premium
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

So has anyone called them to see if they ask for a CC# even if a check is offered?

Maybe Dateline could do a story on them.

stevedaytona

join:2008-03-04
Daytona Beach, FL

The form letter indicates checks are accepted.

I think Dateline have bigger fish to fry

flyaway718

join:2008-05-28
reply to Jason Levine

I received a similar letter as well. Can somone tell me how or where to request for a NY property deed without using a thirdparty like this one?

MGD
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-31
kudos:9

A certified copy of a deed is usually available for a nominal fee from the county property recorder's office in the county where the property is located.

If you are not familiar with the office, then do a Google search for: "(your county) property appraiser" and it should come up. Ignore the commercial sites and go to the actual county government site. Replace ( ) with the name of your county.

There is absolutely no need to pay a third party service fee, to do what you can easily do yourself.

MGD

Kringle
Dr.D
Premium
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:3
reply to Jason Levine

I'm not sure that this qualifies as a scam, per se. I know that the amount of time I've recently spent (note that I'm in Quebec) with various government agencies regarding my property is worth MUCH more than $55 (the difference in this case).

I would NOT pay them by CC but this is a service that might be useful to some as long as the documents provided are, indeed, the real McCoy.

abstractor

@rr.com
reply to Jason Levine

At your mortgage closing when you purchase your home, one of the many papers you sign is a copy of your deed, which is then notorized by a Certified Notary Public. After processing in the County Clerk's Office, that deed is returned to the owner (you) by mail. This IS your certified document - your certified deed. Most people already have a certified copy of their deed. It is not necessary to pay this "scam" company a large sum of money to obtain something you likely already have. However, if you have lost or misplaced your certified deed and need a copy, go to your County Clerk's Office and they will give you a copy for $5.00.

mazdave

@hcks.org
reply to Jason Levine

I received my this month June 2008, looked it up to find out if it was legit. Thanks for the posting.

roc5955
Premium
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY
reply to Jason Levine

The County Clerk for Dutchess County came out with a statement about this a few weeks ago, and again a few days ago.
Though the service that they provide is legit, you can purchase a copy of a deed for far less than the company charges.
As far as most of them are concerned, it is nothing more than the free market system. If people don't pay their prices, they will eventually go out of business.
--
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

RudyV

@quickclic.net
reply to Jason Levine

Jason, Thanks for that information! My parents recieved the same letter and called me up (in Canada) to find out if it was legit. It sounded fishy to me and your information proved it! Thank you!

Babu

@verizon.net
reply to Jason Levine

I got the same letter last month & I send my check. They cash my check but didn't receive any thing ..What to do now

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2

Contact the postal inspectors; that's out and out mail fraud, and the USPS frowns on such activity...
--
Jim Kyle

blakjava

join:2005-12-31
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
reply to Jason Levine

I got the same letter from California Record Retrieval, Inc, but the fee was $79.50. I did a little research and discovered they got a license in Florida, where there is a Florida Record Retrieval, Inc. I wasn't fooled.

Dizaar

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Jason Levine

My husband received the same letter; it reads like this:
California Record Retrieval, Inc.
15303 Ventura Blvd - Suite 900
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
phone 888-480-1977

The body of the letter is the same, but, they are asking for $79.50.

Thank you for alerting us.

Dizaar