how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HomeNetDepot

join:2008-03-06
Hollywood, FL

Answer to - What type of Splitters can be used with MoCA

Yesterday there was a posting about WHAT TYPE OF SPLITTER CAN BE USED WITH MoCA... I'd like to provide a little information.. MoCA is ,Multimedia over Coax Alliance. It is designed to operate in the frequency range from 875Mhz, located just above the off-air UHF to 1.55Ghz..... MoCA on Satellite (Direct TV or DishNet) works in a different frequency area... Anyway MoCA works a bit different that the way a splitter was originally designed to function.. A RF splitter sends the signal from the input to the outputs, equal signal level.. Were "MoCA" data stream communications from betweeen the splitters different output to outputs... Because splitters have been design to have HIGH signal loss between the different outputs. MoCA signals can sometimes be attenuated to a signal level to low in level to operate correctly; Or have the MoCA devices communication with the desired data rate or fail to communicate at alls.... The other problem is the splitters frequency is not allowing the MoCA signal to pass. Radio shack splitters or the RCA type in Home Depot or Lowe's will not work correctly with MoCA.. There is a bunch more about MoCA but since this is my 1st posting I will stop, Email me if I can assist. SRB - Florida

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

As long as the splitters are the 1ghz variety and not the 900mhz variety they will work.

M509272

join:2002-08-07
Carlstadt, NJ

I have a bunch of 900Mhz in my setup without issue. Perhaps ok because my internet is over CAT5 it's ok????

mrlinux

join:2008-02-10
Southlake, TX
reply to HomeNetDepot

I was the original poster... the thread seemed to have
wandered off... anyway... I replaced my amplified 4 way
splitter with a $3.99, passive, 900mhz splitter and my
VOD issue went away.

I looked and looked at Frys for a 1gz splitter and all they
had on the shelves were 900mhz ones.

I swapped out my amplified splitter for the new, cheap-o
passive one and I was back in business.

jack

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

1 edit

Ahh .. you were using an "amplified" splitter ...
Many amplified splitters circuits will not pass signals back "upstream" from the box, they amplify & pass down the incomming signals, but in the opposite direction they are a "brick wall". This may have been your VOD problem.

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

Be aware that even though some amplified splitters are labeled bi-directional, they will only pass upstream frequencies below about 50 MHz (works with the typical cable modem). These will not work with MoCA since (as has been stated) the signals are above 850 MHz. Like MeatChicken said, they look like brick walls to MoCA.
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

VZ_Frank

join:2005-10-21
Basking Ridge, NJ

1 edit
reply to HomeNetDepot

A couple of comments:
1. Amplified splitters normally operate within a specified frequency range (e.g. less than 900 MHz) in that they only amplify the RF signal within that range. They often include a filter to strip off any signal outside that range as part of the amplification process.
2. Non-amplified splitters do not have filters and often will work above their stated range. They have a stated range (e.g. 900 MHz) only to guarantee operation up to that level.
Bottom line is that MoCA requires non-amplified splitters; and sometimes any specified range will work. But for best reliability select a range up to 1.5 GHz. Do not use any splitter with a "power pass" output on any ports as this will cause pixilation of your broadcast video and unreliable MoCA connections.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to M509272

said by M509272:

I have a bunch of 900Mhz in my setup without issue. Perhaps ok because my internet is over CAT5 it's ok????
That's interesting. I had a 900mhz splitter in my line and it caused problems, we removed it and replaced it with a 1ghz and all was well. Hmm...

Agent 86

@comcast.net
reply to HomeNetDepot

All splitters have high loss across output ports. MOCA is designed for it.

FFJOHNL312
Premium
join:2007-12-16
Pawtucket, RI

MoCA with VZ operates at 1150MHz. 900MHz splitters may work, but to be afe, 1G splitters are recommended.