join:2006-06-14
Myerstown, PA

NoPegs to rockotman

Premium Member

to rockotman

Re: SNR on digital cable.

said by rockotman:

said by gchris2203 :

The problem could also be and dont take it personal cause idk what type of fittings and splitters you consider good quality. But it could be your handy work.

Heres what you do..go pick up your phone call comcast and schedule for a tech to come out and check the drop aswell as your handy work to see if they are actually good compression fittings aswell as 1ghz splitters.

To everyone who trys to be a DIY thats cool and all but I can honestly tell you out of the number of people that try and do things on their own very..and i mean very few actually succeed. Most of the time making more work for the tech. Just call your office and get a tech out it will prolly save you time in the end anyway. considering you prolly spent most of a day trying to fix it yourself and in the end its still doing the same thing..so save yourself the trouble next time
Well considering that the splitters were provided by comcast, I would hope that they are good quality. And as far as my handiwork with stripping/crimping cable ends... I have the proper tools (a coax stripper and a properly sized crimper for the cable ends I use). And while RF is not my forte, I am am EE, so I think I know a bit about the importance of proper technique and equipment when it comes to doing electrical/electronics work.
We don't ever crimp any more. Compression fittings only... Hex crimps are eeeeeevil!!!

You can actually pick up a decent compression tool for between $60-$100 on e-bay these days...

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

LOL - yeah they are... but for now, that is all I have. Besides - problem resolved for the time being.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to NoPegs

Premium Member

to NoPegs
i was thinking the same thing. all compression fittings suck.