dogstar1

smc 2804wbrp-g as print server only?

Hi -- I've seen numerous posts that make me think this is possible:

»7004BR as Print Server Only
and
»Printing on 2804WBRP-G printer port from WAN side
and
»Re: SMC2804WBRP-G: FW v2.08 Problems

But I can't make it work. When I try to set the IP address for the SMC Lan to a static address (on the LAN page of the SMC config), I can't get back to the SMC router to administer anything. The new address shows up as not found. I'm either entering something in the wrong place or I'm just an idiot.

If someone wants to give me the idiot's walkthru of the directions to do this (including what "page" in the SMC config I need to be in for each config), I'd greatly appreciate it and be more than happy to write up my experience as a "resolved post" to possibly help someone else in the future.

My current network is running off a broadcom-based router running tomato. The settings are:
Vlan: 10.0.0.1
client 1 is 192.168.1.111
client 1 is 192.168.1.118
client 1 is 192.168.1.138 (wired)
I think I have the SMC at 192.168.1.10 but I can't see it.

The SMC is plugged into a Lan port on the Broadcom router from a Lan port on the SMC.

Any tips or help would be appreciated!
dogstar1

dogstar1

OK, so I figured this out. Thanks to rw266 via a PM. They got me going in the right direction.

Here's what I did:

1. I connected the SMC directly to my computer via a LAN port. I had no WAN connection at this time.

2. I logged into the SMC admin page and turned off wireless and DHCP in the SMC admin pages.

3.. On the SMC admin LAN tab/page, I assigned an IP address of 192. 168.1.113 to match the 192. 168. 1. xx of my main router.

4. On the SMC WAN tab, I assigned a fake IP of 53.10 x. X, I believe this keeps the router from trying to get a WAN address.

5. I then plugged my computer into LAN port on my motorola router and plugged the SMC into a LAN port on the motorola (lan to lan for the routers). I left the SMC WAN port empty and the Motorola router WAN port goes to my DSL Modem. IIRC, I did an IP renew/release for my computer but I don't know if it matters.

6. In my Motorola router running Tomato admin pages, I assigned the SMC MAC a static IP address of 192.168.1.110 and saved the config and refreshed.

7. At this point I could connect to the SMC admin page at: 192.168.1.113.

8. Using the SMC printer configuration tool, I was able to configure the printer driver to use 192.168.113 as my printer port. For the one of my machines that was already working with the SMC in the past, I just had to go in and modify the port to use the new address (rather than the SMC default 192.168.2.1).

I printed a test page and it worked.

Thanks folks.