spc
uniqs
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

SilverSurfer1 to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: Read Your ISP's "Privacy" Statement

said by openbox9:

I'm implying that you have options to opt out of a lot of things that ISPs (and many other businesses) do with some of your personal information.
Said the person who has clearly never tried to opt-out of anything. If you did, then you would know that opting out does absolutely nothing to protect your information from disclosure as much as it serves as an implicit acknowledgment that you know it is occurring.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

I opt out of every "privacy" statement that I receive from my financial institutions and service providers. I receive very little "value added partner marketing" material. So, I'd say that opting out does help in that sense. Also, I'm not naive enough to believe that I have any real privacy, so I guess my implicit acknowledgement is irrelevant.

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

POB

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

I opt out of every "privacy" statement that I receive from my financial institutions and service providers. I receive very little "value added partner marketing" material. So, I'd say that opting out does help in that sense. Also, I'm not naive enough to believe that I have any real privacy, so I guess my implicit acknowledgement is irrelevant.
But opting out is, in fact, utterly useless. You jump through the company's hoops, and in the end, 6 months later, you get a post card letting you know that your info is still fair game to their trading partner and the bartering/selling of information is controlled by the federal and your state's privacy laws. And since most states don't have any privacy laws, and, the federal government certainly does have any either, specifically where financial data is concerned, you're still SOL, and, opting out is still a friggin' joke.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Ok, so don't opt out. I for one will continue opting out of items that I don't want part of because I do see a benefit. Even if it's every six months (not sure where that came from), it takes all of about 15 seconds to click the "opt out" button, or dial a phone number.