uniqs

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Greg_Z

Premium Member

to Greg_Z

Re: Why am I so shocking (static electricity)

said by Greg_Z:

You really need to increase your intake of Di-Hydrogen Monoxide.
NOOOO!

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
I don't think it could be the shoes or the socks. In public, I pretty much always wear flip-flops, yet I get shocked during the winter at the grocery store and nobody else seems to have that problem.
As for the shoes, I have gone through two pairs of shoes here and both have the same problem. My previous pair is very similar to another coworker's and he doesn't get shocked.

tmh
@comcast.net

tmh to Maxo

Anon

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

It seems that my body is more vulnerable to static electricity. Anyone know why the hell I have been cursed with being so damn electric? What causes one person to get shocked more than others?
Try to reduce your fiber intake. As it courses through your intestines, it rubs against the tissue, generating static electricity. This is particularly acute when you visit the restroom to *ahem* eliminate. You will acquire a significant net static charge, and is a major reason why people walk out of there with toilet paper stuck to one heel.

At the same time, the waste acquires a charge of the opposite polarity. This causes toilet paper and other material to clump with it, and is a reason why toilets get stuck.

Hope this helps.
future1
join:2006-04-29
Cincinnati, OH

future1 to Maxo

to Maxo
Years ago at the Comdex show in Atlanta, Georgia I saw a cool computer-side discharge unit(ESD unit). When you touched the strip the amount of your discharge affected the Homer-esk like figure that was attached to it. Your electric shock was passed onto the little guy! So cute!

For over twenty years I had a computer servicing business and I found that many of my calls were due to electrical degradation of equipment. I would never sell a computer without a surge protector (APC) nor would I service a computer without a ESD strap and the computer having a live ground.

ESD is silent. You very seldom hear it. It is invisible. You very seldom see it. Sometimes it will be several months before the damage is even realized. When it strikes, your equipment will fail usually over time.

If you have ever moved across a carpet on a floor and touched a door knob and felt a spark jump you have experienced ESD. It only takes about 30 volts to damage a solid state device. There has to be about 3000 volts before you notice or feel that spark. By that time it is too late and the device is damaged. The damage may not even show up for several months and fail at sometime in the future.
---

Found this online:
"Static Electricity accumulates as you walk and move about. Once you build a static charge level of 3000 volts your body receives a shock when you touch another object. At this point your static level lowers dramatically only to begin the building process again as you continue to move about. The charge is often painful to you but can be destructive to the object you have just discharged into like a phone, computer or any electronic component. While you feel the discharge of 3000 volts you are constantly discharging static at level below 3000 volts and electronic equipment is affected by those as well.

To eliminate the pain and save your electronic equipment place One Touch Pads at strategic locations (your desk, computer, fax, file cabinet).

No pain, no damage, you are now at zero static.

Dont forget to touch it often.

Contents:
1 - Anti-Static One Touch Pad
1 - Pad Grounding Cord (attaches to any electrical outlet with proper grounds) $5.90 ea
»www.anti-staticmat.com/A ··· hPad.htm

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to Maxo

to Maxo
said by Maxo:
said by Jwobot:

Do you use dryer sheets when you dry your clothes?

Low humidty causes more static. Use a humidifier in your home to increase humidity
I hang dry most of my clothes, weather permitting.
If you don't use dryer sheets, your clothes will come out and have static in them. Then, you sit on the couch and the couch gets some of it. Then whenever you sit on the couch, you're going to pick up some of the charge that was left there.

I got shocked all the time in my apartment, and my wife didn't use dryer sheets. I started to do the laundry using dryer sheets, and "shockingly enough" the problem seems to have dissipated.

(a little electricity humor) lol

- FM

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

We do have dryer sheets for when we do use the dryer. Most of the time the thing is idle. I can't stand static in my pant-legs.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
You better be careful you don't spontaneous combust... AKA set on fire and die without any known source of fire.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp ··· mbustion

-Tzale

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to Maxo

to Maxo
"Bounce" seems to do the trick for me. And I always dry on high heat.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Tzale

Premium Member

to Tzale
Maybe I'll get lucky and have Spontaneous Human Involuntary Invisibility.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

It seems that my body is more vulnerable to static electricity. When the weather gets cool and dry like it has been off-and-on here, I get shocked all the damn time. At the grocery store I simply cannot touch anything metal.
You in a carpeted grocery store? Very hard to get zpped from hard floor.... unless maybe you are amazingly prone for some reason.

Big thing in winter back up north... but again generally only in carpeted areas.