All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt to prwood

to prwood

Re: Mechanical ventilation for basement?

said by prwood:

The question now is how to vent the exhaust from the fan. We don't have an HVAC system (just hot water baseboard heat), so there's nothing to tap in to.
Where does the hot water baseboard get its heat from (gas/oil boiler?)? You have to be careful about just exhausting any space, especially if there is a heating system (or fireplace) or gas water heater somewhere. Unless it is a high efficiency heating system that has both intake and exhaust piped outside, you could end up sucking fumes down the chimney.

Best would be some sort of air exchanger/heat exchanger that transfers room temperature going out to the fresh air coming in.

prwood
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Salem, MA

prwood

Premium Member

The HWBB gets its heat from a gas furnace. We also have a gas water heater. They are in a separate utility room in the basement. The vents for these are on the roof in a chimney.

I am hoping for the simplest possible solution that would satisfy the code requirements, and that I could do myself without hiring an HVAC technician. (Not because I don't want one, but because we really don't have the money to hire one.)
said by efflandt:

said by prwood:

The question now is how to vent the exhaust from the fan. We don't have an HVAC system (just hot water baseboard heat), so there's nothing to tap in to.
Where does the hot water baseboard get its heat from (gas/oil boiler?)? You have to be careful about just exhausting any space, especially if there is a heating system (or fireplace) or gas water heater somewhere. Unless it is a high efficiency heating system that has both intake and exhaust piped outside, you could end up sucking fumes down the chimney.

Best would be some sort of air exchanger/heat exchanger that transfers room temperature going out to the fresh air coming in.