spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JTech4
join:2001-11-13
Springfield, MO

JTech4

Insurance claim on siding.

I recently had an insurance adjuster out to look at some hail damage. He says they are going to replace one side of the siding. The problem I have is the contractors are telling me you cannot find the siding I have anymore. So the siding for one side of my house is not going to match.

Has anyone here experienced an issue like this?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

What kind of siding do you have? A pic may help.

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

1 edit

HRM to JTech4

MVM

to JTech4
Because of sun fading, even if you had enough in the garage left over from the first job it wouldn't match.

The original color is really important in this. White, when on two non parallel surfaces does not have to be exactly the same color to match. The light difference between the two will make things look fine to everyone except those who "know" it doesn't match.

Location is another consideration. It is like having two matching hubcaps on each side of a car. Even if they do not match each other, no one can see both sides of the car at the same time. Likewise, if the sides can not be viewed at the same time (more like if they normally are not seen at the same time) it really doesn't matter...
JTech4
Springfield, MO

JTech4

Yellow, Aluminum. I realize they wont match do to fade, However I don't want grey siding on one side and yellow on the rest. From the street you can actually see 2 sides of the houes and one side is the side that is going to get replaced.

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

1 edit

HRM to JTech4

MVM

to JTech4
Are you saying that you can't get any yellow that is similar and they are telling you they will put up grey?

They may just be saying that it won't be a close match (which is true just considering the normal fade by itself) or they may just be trying to get you to do the entire thing while you are at it.
JTech4
Springfield, MO

JTech4

I actually fouund some, It is Alcoa alumina siding and the agent is paying to have enough of it shipped here, About $150 freight.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

4 recommendations

Kramer to JTech4

Mod

to JTech4
I suggest you read this carefully. Your insurance company may be violating the law. They may be acting in bad faith. Give a copy of this to your insurance adjuster. »insurance.mo.gov/laws/bu ··· 1-02.htm

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5 to JTech4

Premium Member

to JTech4
$150 in freight versus thousands to replace siding on the whole house sounds like a bargain...for the insurance company, especially after reading the link Kramer See Profile posted.
JTech4
Springfield, MO

JTech4

I don't fully comprehend the article. I am honestly happy if the difference in siding is not to bad. Just to make sure I will have the siding company send me a small sample.

If it is to different, I will request they replace all the siding, Or at least spring for a paint job (Can you paint 30 year old aluminum siding?).

Kramer, Thank you for the document.

itsgettingwarmer
@charter.com

itsgettingwarmer

Anon

said by JTech4:

(Can you paint 30 year old aluminum siding?).

Yes. You can paint vinyl siding as well.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

said by itsgettingwarmer :

said by JTech4:

And that is exactly what you will be doing every 5 or so years.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

said by Kramer:
said by itsgettingwarmer :
said by JTech4:

And that is exactly what you will be doing every 5 or so years.
Thats not true. Repainted aluminum or vinyl siding will often last as long as the original aluminum/vinyl did. Latex/acrylic paints are very colorfast these days and as long as the surface is properly prepared it will last for years and years.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The government came up with these figures not me. »www.oldhouseweb.com/stor ··· 82.shtml

Ok maybe I over-stated it a little but a 7-10 year life paint job on a material that lasts 20-50 years, doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when the insurance company has to pay for the job.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

1 edit

Icarus

Mod

Whats the warranty on vinyl? 20 years? Id give you a 10 year+ on paint for a quarter of the price.....you decide.....

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Yes but I wouldn't be paying, so the price is irrelevant. Finally, I don't think you do business in my area, but if you do, slip me an IM. Most the painters I know, I wouldn't trust or I couldn't afford. Vinyl is anywhere from 1.5-2x the cost of a paint job on my house. I've got numerous quotes. I have to make the decision soon. Ideally if money were no object, I'd like Hardy Board and paint, which I think looks the best.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to JTech4

MVM

to JTech4
I disputed doing this on my old house. The insurance came up with painting was good enough to make 2 sides match the other 2. IMHO, it is NOT good enough.
markopoleo
join:2003-04-02
Bonne Terre, MO

markopoleo

Painting vinyl siding is the worst possible thing to do. Not only does the paint actually crack, you can see it up close, also the paint on one side of the house with sun most the day will fade drastically than others. Vinyl siding does NOT fade, if it is you have a bad batch or very cheap siding.

Apathy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Saint Louis, MO

Apathy

Premium Member

Latex paint doesn't crack. It's flexible and expands with the vinyl. Properly prepped it'll last for years, as with anything else that's been painted.

Paint formulas have changed, latex especially so.

jmkraft
Premium Member
join:2002-04-11
Paris, IL

jmkraft to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

Yes but I wouldn't be paying, so the price is irrelevant.
You will pay in the long run: If you ever plan on selling your house, the fact of painted siding will bring the price down and may even keep people from buying it.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

I would agree with that on aluminum and vinyl, but painted hardy board siding is what higher end houses are using today. I think you need to re-read my posts. I have been arguing against painting the aluminum siding.

traker1001
@swbell.net

traker1001

Anon

I talked with the claims rep again today and he says they are just going to authorize another $4K for all new siding.

The article Kramer pointed out seemed to effect things, So thank you.

So now, I have to color and metal or vinyl. I think I am going vinyl because I like the way it feels and looks. I think I am going grey.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

I assume this is the OP. Glad to hear that. I think vinyl is the right choice. You don't see any new construction around here using aluminum although they do have some interesting products out now. I don't know how expensive it is, but it might be worth inquiring on... but they make vinyl siding now that is stiff and backed with foam. Normally they would put a 1/4" foam backing behind the vinyl, so this offers a similar insulation value, but gives the siding a more solid look. You might have to pay out of pocket for that upgrade. Make sure whoever does the repair gets a permit (if required) and has all the inspections done that might be required. I would check with your locality to determine if a permit is required. Don't trust the word of the contractor. Those inspectors can be your best friends. I had a house fire over ten years ago and the contractor kept trying to replace things as they were installed in the early 1960s and the inspectors kept having them rip it up and do it right. The repairs they do must meet code and it is not your obligation to pay the difference necessary for the old construction to be brought up to modern code. I'm just not sure a siding job would require a permit here and I don't know about your locality.
JTech4
Springfield, MO

JTech4

Yeah this is the OP, I deleted my cookies and am to lazy to re-request the password.

I will look into it, However I don't believe roof or siding require a permit where I am, Outskirts of Greene County, Mo.
JTech4

1 recommendation

JTech4

I got lucky, I have a contractor that is going to replace all the metal siding with vinyl, Replace the roof entirly, Re-do all the guttering, Then take the difference between the cost of metal vs vinyl and poor me a new concrete slab and credit me my deductible.