how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RadioBob1701

join:2001-12-03
Auburn Hills, MI

[Connectivity] Comcast area outage notification system

Why doesn't Comcast tell their paying customers that there will be an outage or that there is an outage in X area. Unless I missed something is there a phone number that is up to date informing you of this type of situation?

Boy how annoying

I can't check my emails remotely and my wife says we are down at home. Gotta love it.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Usually when there is a known area outage, there will be a recording that informs you of it when first calling the phone number on your bill. I've heard it once or twice, but can't remember the last time I had an outage.
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
reply to RadioBob1701

If there is an outage in your area, it should not affect you getting your email from the website if you are at a computer with working Internet.

ykronic
Premium
join:2006-01-31
Canada
reply to RadioBob1701

Dear Paying Customer,

This email is to inform you that at 1:37am on 03/14 a bad driver will take a corner too quickly and knock out the node servicing your area. Our technicians will be on site performing maintenance and hope to be completed by 6am.

Sincerely, Comcast.

THAT'S why. because most outages aren't planned. Add to that if something does break while you're using the internet you're going to notice it go down immediately, it'll take Comcast some time to detect it or for people to call in and causing the ticketing system to open a trouble ticket to have it looked into.
Otherwise the maintenance they plan ahead tends to happen in the 2am-6am window and 90% of people don't care

kelso2

join:2007-04-06
Ashburn, VA

2 edits
reply to RadioBob1701

Edit: negative comment deleted

gchris2203

@comcast.net
reply to ykronic

said by ykronic:

Dear Paying Customer,

This email is to inform you that at 1:37am on 03/14 a bad driver will take a corner too quickly and knock out the node servicing your area. Our technicians will be on site performing maintenance and hope to be completed by 6am.

Sincerely, Comcast.

Lmao good post As already mentioned If there is a planned Outage for an upgrade or somthing of that sort. They do contact you either by email or phone. However if it an accident or power outage to blame for the cable going out it s hard to pre warn customers for somthing you do not know is going to happen

FoMoCo
466 C.I.D.

join:2001-01-10
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to RadioBob1701

If there is an outage its normally the end user who notifies them of it not the other way around

lineguy

@verizon.net

said by FoMoCo:

If there is an outage its normally the end user who notifies them of it not the other way around
That WAS the case years ago but not so much now. Most areas have a NOC or a LMC that is manned 24/7 to detect outages (mostly by looking at node health) and they send the line crews (they also work 24/7) to check the possibility of an outage or a problem way before the first phone calls come in. It's not perfect, but it is improving all the time.

anonymouse6

join:2001-05-28
Littleton, CO

Re: Planned maintenance outage for 6 hours

We have a comcast business account. About an hour ago, the service just dropped dead. When I called in, there was a recording that said that there will be a 6-hour planned maintenance outage.

I am simply disgusted with Comcast ... they have no ethics, brains or any sense of customer service/responsibility .... they just pulled the plug without informing us (paying business customers). If I had another ISP/carrier in my area, I would simply drop Comcast in the dust, in a heartbeat. Very annoying to say the least!!

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

Outages occur with every provider regardless of cost or transmission technology. To achieve high availability you need to eliminate single points of failure, which means planning on having a secondary ISP / transmission technology available.

Anyuser

@comcast.net
reply to anonymouse6

said by anonymouse6:

We have a comcast business account. About an hour ago, the service just dropped dead. When I called in, there was a recording that said that there will be a 6-hour planned maintenance outage.
Actually, any planned overnight maintenance like that is always listed as "between midnight and 6:00 AM" simply because it has to start after midnight and be done before 6:00 - it rarely, if ever, lasts that long... In fact, planned maintenance typically gets done pretty expediently (mainly because you already know what you need to do and have what you need to do it) but, of course, it all depends on what you're doing.

Would you rather have a failing component replaced in advance, at a time that would effect the least number of subscribers, or would you rather no one maintains anything and just let something break whenever it decides to? Not only does the latter end up being a bigger... "inconvenience"... but you would have to wait for them to track down the actual cause of the issue - that is, after the NOC/LMC has noticed the issue or enough customers have called in with problems.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

I think you're missing the point.

If you're going to do planned maintenance, there's no reason to just pull the plug like the OP stated without sending out an email or something else to let customers know it's going to happen.

Planned outages have a business impact, if there are employees sitting around waiting for access. It reduces a company's ability to manage their assets and it costs them money. The "90% rule" isn't much comfort in a situation like that, and of course, Comcast isn't going to help defray those expenses.

Maybe Comcast should just get out of the business market if they can't understand the business ramifications. No notification isn't a big deal to gamers and home users.

Anyuser

@comcast.net

said by goalieskates:

I think you're missing the point.
All I was doing, mainly, was pointing out the difference between a six-hour duration and a six-hour timeframe/window (which is why I had quoted anonymouse, to put it in context).

I'm certainly not disagreeing that notification of "planned" outages is something that should be done.

anonymouse6

join:2001-05-28
Littleton, CO

3 edits

Thanks for the feedback folks. Yeah, I was simply stating that there should be a mechanism, as simple as an email notification, etc. that alerts us about these issues.

We had some tasks planned last night that could not be performed due to the outage (and we had planned them a few days ago).

I just find that it is unprofessional that Comcast can pull the connection as though it were Christmas lights without realizing how critical it can be for smaller businesses (it's like pulling the oxygen supply for someone on life support ). Unfortunately, not all (smaller) businesses can afford and/or deal with having a secondary ISP but all of your arguments make sense. Thanks again!