spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Squiddy
@grouptelecom.net

Squiddy

Anon

Acanac e-mail server changes??

I have been using Outlook to get my e-mail from home and since Tuesday nothing has been coming into my inbox. No errors reported by Outlook - it's as if my mailbox on the incoming server was empty. Yet when I looked via squirrel mail (webmail) online I saw all my incoming messages. Then I noticed that the url for the webmail seems to have changed, so for the hell of it I changed my outlook settings to mailer2.acanac.net and presto all my e-mails came in. Am I supposed to do this? If so, why in hell didn't Acanac contact me to tell me to do this?? Is there anything else I should know?
thelurker
join:2006-03-24
North York, ON

thelurker

Squiddy, there's nothing that should be changed. I believe that the regular mail server's address (the one you were using before) was just supposed to have an ip address change... could be that the DNS change took longer where you are, or for your own machine, but nothing needs to be changed.

Sorry to hear that you missed out on your mail, but to be honest, if it were me, and I was using Acanac as my main email provider, I would have checked their webmail access when I started getting no mail (even spam lol) after 24 hours.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

Farshid420 is correct. You did not have to change anything. It was definitely a DNS issue. It can take up 48 hours for propagation to occur. You can also flush your DNS settings.

Best Regards,
Paul
»www.acanac.ca

squiddy
@acanac.net

squiddy to Squiddy

Anon

to Squiddy
OK, I changed the mail servers back to acanac.net, did the DNS flushing and a ping of acanac.net then showed a new IP address -> good. But then I was still getting an error during the "send" operation in Outlook. Phoned tech. support and he knew immediately what to do: change the Outlook settings to include the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" checkbox (which was not checked before). He said that there was some important changes made to the e-mail servers on Tuesday that requires this now. Super simple to fix, but why weren't Acanac clients notified of this requirement? (please someone answer!)

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

We have always requested that the user requested authenticate before sending mail. This has been the case with our hosting and the DSL side. Below you will find a link to a Flash video. Click on your email client and it will take you through the steps.

»www.canaca.com/canaca_democenter

Once again this should of been transparent.

Best Regards,
Paul
»www.acanac.ca