uniqs

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

[XP Home] Black Start Menu

So this Compaq Presario V2000 laptop I have (and typing on) had a small malfunction of equipment. One of the 2 memory sticks failed and it was apparent when the BSOD stopped appearing.

So I ran chkdsk, settings on the laptop reset a bit, etc. Now the start menu appears black.

It shows up fine in Class Start Menu mode and would use that instead but if there is an underlying problem, I would like to get it solved.

Anyone has any ideas what could cause the start menu to turn black? What could have possibly been corrupted? The event viewers doesn't show anything and I don't even have a minidump directory/folder anywhere.

I have no installed anything recent except for removing one of the defective memory stick, the other one is fine with no errors from memtest, and from google searches, I do not use anything logitech :P

Thanks

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

what did chkdsk fix?

Cudni

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

Nothing from what I saw. The first time I removed the ram, when Windows finished loading there was a message on the line that Registry has fixed some problems. No real details anywhere I could work from :/

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to Tokidoki

Premium Member

to Tokidoki
Do you have a Logitech camera or camera drivers on that machine?

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to Tokidoki

Mod

to Tokidoki
Does the same problem occur if you restart the computer in Safe Mode?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to Tokidoki

MVM

to Tokidoki
maybe consider xp repair

Cudni
anthrorules
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Rollinsville, CO

anthrorules to Tokidoki

Premium Member

to Tokidoki
Did you try switching between the XP Start Menu and the Classic Start Menu options via Properties in Task Bar?

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

said by AB57:

said by Tokidoki:

I have no installed anything recent except for removing one of the defective memory stick, the other one is fine with no errors from memtest, and from google searches, I do not use anything logitech :P
=====
said by anthrorules:

Did you try switching between the XP Start Menu and the Classic Start Menu options via Properties in Task Bar?
said by Tokidoki:

It shows up fine in Class Start Menu mode and would use that instead but if there is an underlying problem, I would like to get it solved.
=====

:P

Doesn't show up right in safe mode either, just tried it

Repair install was the first thing I wanted to try but theres another problem involving the disc drive. I think I should just put this 3 year old lappy to rest.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to Tokidoki

to Tokidoki
2 things to try , first increase the icon size and restart pc , then set them to normal size.

2nd if you have a logitech web cam , there is a driver bug with them. Set the control panel as a menu and see if it fixes it.

My solution was to change the Start Menu to not have control panel as a menu item and swap it back to a link.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to Tokidoki

Premium Member

to Tokidoki
said by Tokidoki:

said by AB57:

said by Tokidoki:

Yep, right in front of my face and I never saw it. Good thing it wasn't a snake.

Sorry about that. Good luck to you.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

1 edit

Tokidoki

Premium Member

No good on the control panel thing.

It seemed that alot of people had this problem and there was a site with a registry hack that would completely reset start menu stuff. The site is gone however

[cache]
»72.14.253.104/search?q=c ··· =1&gl=us

#31 - Disable Changes Made to the Start Menu - Undo

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

Kelly's Korner is gone!

A sad day for XP tweakdom, if it's permanent.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

Darn. Didn't work either

»web.archive.org/web/2007 ··· eaks.htm

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

1 edit

auggy

Mod

Does the same black start menu exist in another user account (create one if necessary)?

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

Yeah. Still shows up on a new user. Tried to see if the ntuser.dat file would help.
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

System restore!

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

said by ChiTang:

System restore!
Disabled. After the mess it has made for me in the past, no way. The laptop doesn't have any image software but my desktops does.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy to Tokidoki

Mod

to Tokidoki
Does it make any difference if you stop and then restart the "Themes" service?
danPuters
join:2008-05-16

danPuters to Tokidoki

to Tokidoki
I've hit exactly the same problem. A dodgy stick of RAM caused it too. Have you had any luck getting it back to normal?
FourWheelKid
join:2006-03-03
Lafayette, LA

FourWheelKid to Tokidoki

to Tokidoki
Just wanted to mention that Kelly's Korner is back up

bcastner
MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD

bcastner

MVM

There was an issue with Kelly's-Korner where the Registrar failed to renew the site registration; despite the fact that Kelly had a subscription term remaining of three years with the Registrar.

DTS-L had the same issue with this Registrar. It was an on and off mess for several weeks.