spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ShadPTR
join:2008-01-23
Whitby, ON

ShadPTR to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

I usually DL this to test re: torrents, as it seems to be always well seeded and gives me my max DL.

»distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/

Maybe you can test it as well?
smihaila
join:2004-08-17

smihaila to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by zinc:

AFAIK Bell doesn't have the technology to throttle like that.
Even if Bell had the equipment, they probably would not have the legal clearance to actively interfere with wholesale traffic.

As you said in the rest of your post, Bell is most likely experiencing local link or equipment overload. Me and a few others in the Anjou and St-Leonard areas have encountered somewhat lousy speeds during peak hours over the last few weeks or months. In my case, line stats certainly are not to blame with 4dB up / 10dB down attenuation and 26dB down SNRM. Everything was great for the first two weeks from activation but it has been slowly going downhill with no change in line stats.
Yes, I'm in the same situation as you (Anjou). After 4PM the best download speed I can get is 600kbit. In the mornings it is 4.4megabit. It's been 2 months since I'm waiting for the ticket that TSI opened with Bell to come to a resolution.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to Quake110

Premium Member

to Quake110
void main() {
      for (;;)
           printf("We do not throttle\n");
}

HA! I win.
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

> for (;;)
> printf("We do not throttle\n");

Do you guys have any garantee from your transit providers that they do not throttle certain protocols ? Would such garantees apply to all transit providers, or are there now precedents where some transit providers reserve the right to throttle ?

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

4 edits

Angelo

Premium Member

#include <stdio.h>
#include <iostream>

void main(){

char issue="";

printf("Do you have an issue?");
scanf("%c", &issue);

switch(issue)
{
     yes:
       printf("Please clarify your issue\n");
       break;

no:
       printf("Glad your happy with your service!\n");
       break;

default:
       printf("You didn't type in yes or no!\n");
       break;

}

{
     exit(1);
}

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

"ptintf" doesn't compile. :-P

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

1 edit

CanerisErik

Premium Member

said by TSI Gabe:

LOL, neither does $issue...this isn't PHP or Perl angelo

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

> for (;;)

Do you guys have any garantee from your transit providers that they do not throttle certain protocols ? Would such garantees apply to all transit providers, or are there now precedents where some transit providers reserve the right to throttle ?
Transit providers are just that, transit. They take each packets and transport them equally.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

1 edit

Angelo to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

that's bc you have the old compiler , damn it you guys are right ive been coding php all week :/

i should quit while im ahead!

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik

Premium Member

said by Angelo:

said by TSI Gabe:

that's bc you have the old compiler , damn it you guys are right ive been coding php all week :/

i should quit while im ahead!
#define ptintf printf

brassy
join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON

brassy to Angelo

to Angelo
void main? VOID MAIN??????

*pulls hair out*

stick to php.
dmk
join:2007-01-17

dmk to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

said by jfmezei:

> for (;;)

Transit providers are just that, transit. They take each packets and transport them equally.
primus went through this issue..and yes can have a say in the traffic that passes thorugh the bell equipment

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to brassy

MVM

to brassy
Does anybody actually check error codes anymore? Is there really any point in returning 0 or 1 or the like?
pwnedrice
join:2006-04-27

2 edits

pwnedrice to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
ummm...are you sure??
my torrents are being throttled right now...and im positive that there is nothing wrong with my DL/UL speeds right now:

my ports are not blocked, my download speed was just stuck in the 20s...but about 3pm this afternoon, i had about 200+ kb/s on torrents...

and with 19000+ seeds, theres nothing wrong with the torrent at all...

and to further test it to see that theres nothing wrong with the torrent itself...i tried downloading Open Office 2.3.1 thu torrent...still the same speed...
TheS0urce
join:2008-02-26

TheS0urce to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
NO throttling here slowest was around 100 and fastest was almost 400k. If there was throttling my downloads wouldn't be that fast. If you are using crappy bitcomet it maybe the reason since some trackers and torrent clients block bitcomet users.
pwnedrice

pwnedrice to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
if you actually bothered to look at my screenshot...its uTorrent -_-
Cybrspin
join:2007-12-05

Cybrspin

your only connected to 19 seeds on a public tracker, be happy to get 20k has nothing to do with throttling
TheS0urce
join:2008-02-26

TheS0urce

Click for full size
Here's my snap shot of torrent download.
ForeverBlind
join:2003-11-27
Mississauga, ON

ForeverBlind to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
You can't judge torrent speeds by public trackers. Find a good private tracker and then test it.
mandrews4
join:2008-02-11
Toronto, ON

mandrews4 to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
Just 'cause you're getting slow link speed doesn't mean the problem is Teksavvy.

I live in a condo in downtown Toronto and for the past several months, my DL speed was 1.7Mbps.

Bell kept on telling me the DL speed was due to my distance from the CO until recently. A few weeks ago, another Bell tech told me that my location wasn't so far from the CO, and my DL speed had been capped to avoid repeated link drops.

They paid a visit a few days later, replaced some existing cable with a fiber optic link and dropped the cap. My DL speed is now 6.5Mbps, and it was no fault of Teksavvy.

I don't deal with Teksavvy tech support much, since problems are rare.

The few times I have dealt with them, I've found them to be much more technically aware and accurate than Bell and the other ISPs I've tried
pwnedrice

pwnedrice to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep

heres the Open Office torrent, and yes its from their own BitTorrent servers so thats considered private enough?

still the same speed...
ill shut off the modem and router to see if anything goes back to normal
ForeverBlind
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

ForeverBlind

Not enough leachers there...there is no one to download from you
Cybrspin
join:2007-12-05

Cybrspin

start all 3 torrents too, cant judge anything from one torrent on a public tracker, ive seen 20000 seeds and only getting 5k a sec for weeks on a 10mb line. lol
ForeverBlind
Mississauga, ON

ForeverBlind to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
daboom
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON

daboom to pwnedrice

Premium Member

to pwnedrice
Click for full size
2 mins in downloadin torrent
Click for full size
after 5 mins
No probs here definately something on your end dude.

and it just finished.
ForeverBlind
Mississauga, ON

ForeverBlind to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep

Yup....definitely on your end.
pwnedrice

pwnedrice to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
yeah...>.>
so much for switching out of Bell...this throttling thing seemed to follow me.............
s49
join:2004-03-05
canada

s49 to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep

So uhh, I jsut spoke to a mate that works with Bell, apparently they're progressively going area by area in re: to throttling between a certain time, like 6pm - 2am.

I didn't notice it until this evening when my usual 430KB/s is now averaging at most, 30KB/s lol.

I'll put in a call to someone at TS and see if they can check it out as well, even though I read what Rocky and other TS techs mentioned so far.

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
Click for full size
i got no problems with this either 350kb/s as we speak :P
i think it depends
BozoTheCl0wn
join:2005-04-01
H0H0H0

1 edit

BozoTheCl0wn to s49

to s49
So are you saying that Bell is throttling Teksavvy users? Not impossible I suppose since the traffic goes through their network but you would think Teksavvy would know about it... I'd like to see what Rocky and co think about this. The pattern is the same as when Sympatico did it. A few people notice it, everybody else thinks they are crazy until it starts happening to them too.