how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON
reply to Angelo

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

void main? VOID MAIN??????

*pulls hair out*

stick to php.

otheroptions3

join:2007-01-17
reply to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

said by jfmezei:

> for (;;)
> printf("We do not throttle\n");

Do you guys have any garantee from your transit providers that they do not throttle certain protocols ? Would such garantees apply to all transit providers, or are there now precedents where some transit providers reserve the right to throttle ?
Transit providers are just that, transit. They take each packets and transport them equally.
primus went through this issue..and yes can have a say in the traffic that passes thorugh the bell equipment

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to brassy
Does anybody actually check error codes anymore? Is there really any point in returning 0 or 1 or the like?

pwnedrice

join:2006-04-27

2 edits
reply to Bee Beep
ummm...are you sure??
my torrents are being throttled right now...and im positive that there is nothing wrong with my DL/UL speeds right now:

my ports are not blocked, my download speed was just stuck in the 20s...but about 3pm this afternoon, i had about 200+ kb/s on torrents...

and with 19000+ seeds, theres nothing wrong with the torrent at all...

and to further test it to see that theres nothing wrong with the torrent itself...i tried downloading Open Office 2.3.1 thu torrent...still the same speed...

TheS0urce

join:2008-02-26
reply to Bee Beep
NO throttling here slowest was around 100 and fastest was almost 400k. If there was throttling my downloads wouldn't be that fast. If you are using crappy bitcomet it maybe the reason since some trackers and torrent clients block bitcomet users.

pwnedrice

reply to Bee Beep
if you actually bothered to look at my screenshot...its uTorrent -_-

Cybrspin

join:2007-12-05
your only connected to 19 seeds on a public tracker, be happy to get 20k has nothing to do with throttling

TheS0urce

join:2008-02-26
Click for full size
Here's my snap shot of torrent download.

ForeverBlind

join:2003-11-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Bee Beep
You can't judge torrent speeds by public trackers. Find a good private tracker and then test it.

mandrews4

join:2008-02-11
Toronto, ON
reply to Bee Beep
Just 'cause you're getting slow link speed doesn't mean the problem is Teksavvy.

I live in a condo in downtown Toronto and for the past several months, my DL speed was 1.7Mbps.

Bell kept on telling me the DL speed was due to my distance from the CO until recently. A few weeks ago, another Bell tech told me that my location wasn't so far from the CO, and my DL speed had been capped to avoid repeated link drops.

They paid a visit a few days later, replaced some existing cable with a fiber optic link and dropped the cap. My DL speed is now 6.5Mbps, and it was no fault of Teksavvy.

I don't deal with Teksavvy tech support much, since problems are rare.

The few times I have dealt with them, I've found them to be much more technically aware and accurate than Bell and the other ISPs I've tried

pwnedrice

reply to Bee Beep

heres the Open Office torrent, and yes its from their own BitTorrent servers so thats considered private enough?

still the same speed...
ill shut off the modem and router to see if anything goes back to normal

ForeverBlind

Mississauga, ON

1 edit
Not enough leachers there...there is no one to download from you

Cybrspin

join:2007-12-05
start all 3 torrents too, cant judge anything from one torrent on a public tracker, ive seen 20000 seeds and only getting 5k a sec for weeks on a 10mb line. lol

ForeverBlind

Mississauga, ON
reply to Bee Beep

daboom
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to pwnedrice
Click for full size
2 mins in downloadin torrent
Click for full size
after 5 mins
No probs here definately something on your end dude.

and it just finished.
--
Come join us on EFNET irc.dks.ca #teksavvy for live chat

ForeverBlind

Mississauga, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Yup....definitely on your end.

pwnedrice

reply to Bee Beep
yeah...>.>
so much for switching out of Bell...this throttling thing seemed to follow me.............

s49

join:2004-03-05
canada
reply to Bee Beep

So uhh, I jsut spoke to a mate that works with Bell, apparently they're progressively going area by area in re: to throttling between a certain time, like 6pm - 2am.

I didn't notice it until this evening when my usual 430KB/s is now averaging at most, 30KB/s lol.

I'll put in a call to someone at TS and see if they can check it out as well, even though I read what Rocky and other TS techs mentioned so far.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to Bee Beep
Click for full size
i got no problems with this either 350kb/s as we speak :P
i think it depends

BozoTheCl0wn

join:2005-04-01
H0H0H0

1 edit
reply to s49
So are you saying that Bell is throttling Teksavvy users? Not impossible I suppose since the traffic goes through their network but you would think Teksavvy would know about it... I'd like to see what Rocky and co think about this. The pattern is the same as when Sympatico did it. A few people notice it, everybody else thinks they are crazy until it starts happening to them too.

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
reply to Bee Beep
Just want to chime in on the subject. Right now my BitTorrent speeds are far lower than they have ever been on TekSavvy. Not sure what's going on, but I'm going to try reconnecting to see if being on a different ERX makes any difference.

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
Well, I just restarted my router, and here's what happened...

I started up my torrent. It went up to around 200 KB/s, stayed there for a few seconds, then immediately jumped back down to around 27 KB/s. It's staying there now.

This is very, very curious. I don't want to start pointing fingers but something very strange is going on here...

justa thought

@mc.videotron.ca
Maybe this is whats happening:

»Nexxia throttling?

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
reply to ajhaji
I just ran a speed test, and it comes in normal...

4276 kbps/630 kbps

This speed weirdness is only happening with BitTorrent. I've tried it with various different torrents, so it's not just an isolated thing.

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to justa thought
said by justa thought :

Maybe this is whats happening:

»Nexxia throttling?
This looks like it could be EXACTLY what is happening. This really, really stinks.

BozoTheCl0wn

join:2005-04-01
H0H0H0
I wonder if even legal???

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to ajhaji
A person has had his problem resolved using bt by using another client yesterday.It happened he was using BC also and his downloads were crawling too.He went to azereus and speeds were normal again.

justa thought

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ajhaji
andrewhaji, if this is indeed whats happening, it would be area specific as the institute it.

I don't want you to give up your anoniminity of where you live, but if you feel this is the case and you state the area you are in maybe others in your immediate area, hopefully the same c/o, can confirm that this is happening to them as well. The more info the better.

I just looked though this topic and it seems you are not alone... and with the other topic in the canadian Broadband forum going... well... it does stink.

Maybe a teksavvy employee can confirm/deny?

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to andyb
Yeah, there are some clients which are better at beating throttling than others, but the major thing here is that we shouldn't HAVE to be worrying about throttling. TekSavvy's main selling point for MANY users is the fact that there is no throttling, and if Bell is forcing throttling down resellers' throats, then there's a problem here.

Ank14

join:2008-01-04
reply to Bee Beep
hmm... seems im being limited to under 50 KB/s right now... This is very odd.