Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

Just want to chime in on the subject. Right now my BitTorrent speeds are far lower than they have ever been on TekSavvy. Not sure what's going on, but I'm going to try reconnecting to see if being on a different ERX makes any difference.

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms

Well, I just restarted my router, and here's what happened...

I started up my torrent. It went up to around 200 KB/s, stayed there for a few seconds, then immediately jumped back down to around 27 KB/s. It's staying there now.

This is very, very curious. I don't want to start pointing fingers but something very strange is going on here...

justa thought

@mc.videotron.ca

Maybe this is whats happening:

»Nexxia throttling?

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
reply to ajhaji

I just ran a speed test, and it comes in normal...

4276 kbps/630 kbps

This speed weirdness is only happening with BitTorrent. I've tried it with various different torrents, so it's not just an isolated thing.

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to justa thought

said by justa thought :

Maybe this is whats happening:

»Nexxia throttling?
This looks like it could be EXACTLY what is happening. This really, really stinks.

BozoTheCl0wn

join:2005-04-01
H0H0H0

I wonder if even legal???

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to ajhaji

A person has had his problem resolved using bt by using another client yesterday.It happened he was using BC also and his downloads were crawling too.He went to azereus and speeds were normal again.

justa thought

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ajhaji

andrewhaji, if this is indeed whats happening, it would be area specific as the institute it.

I don't want you to give up your anoniminity of where you live, but if you feel this is the case and you state the area you are in maybe others in your immediate area, hopefully the same c/o, can confirm that this is happening to them as well. The more info the better.

I just looked though this topic and it seems you are not alone... and with the other topic in the canadian Broadband forum going... well... it does stink.

Maybe a teksavvy employee can confirm/deny?

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to andyb

Yeah, there are some clients which are better at beating throttling than others, but the major thing here is that we shouldn't HAVE to be worrying about throttling. TekSavvy's main selling point for MANY users is the fact that there is no throttling, and if Bell is forcing throttling down resellers' throats, then there's a problem here.

Ank14

join:2008-01-04
reply to Bee Beep

hmm... seems im being limited to under 50 KB/s right now... This is very odd.

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
Reviews:
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to justa thought

said by justa thought :

I don't want you to give up your anoniminity of where you live, but if you feel this is the case and you state the area you are in maybe others in your immediate area, hopefully the same c/o, can confirm that this is happening to them as well. The more info the better.
Sure, I live in Toronto, around the Ossington subway station.

BozoTheCl0wn

H0H0H0
reply to Bee Beep

Some people are going to owe the OP an apology

Seems he was right after all.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to ajhaji

It was the client causing the problem.Probably screwing up plug and play or something but as I know the customer is never wrong so it would'nt have anything to do with a software failure or something along those lines.

Ank14

reply to Bee Beep

well something is defiantly wrong because my torrent speeds are ridiculously low.

JayTS

@teksavvy.com
reply to Bee Beep

Click for full size
Hmm...

I've been on with TS support several times today trying do figure out why my line appears to be throttled. From around 4:30 this afternoon utorrent suddenly plunged to 56k for a while and finally dug in at 26k. And it's a near-perfect 26k - within 1 k, regardless of the number of torrents I open or the number of trackers. I tried adding Ubuntu with hundreds of seeds & I'm still maxing out at a pathetic 26 k! (Upstream is also fixed at 26k.)

I know that TS does not throttle. I know it should be impossible for Bell to throttle me TS account. Yet I can't come up with anything that would cause this exact performance other than some sort of throttling.

Just to rule out some of the obvious suggestions:

* I get the exact same performance with the SpeedTouch 516v6 (in both regular and bridge mode!) and a SpeedStream 5200 (both with a router, and connected directly to the computer.) That's two modems in four configurations giving me identical results.

* I've tried limiting torrents and also adding more torrents from different trackers. I've tried restricting connections & unrestricting, limiting & unlimiting upload & download bandwidth - nothing affects the overall maximum attainable speed!

* My line stats are good - and TS see them as good.

* Non-torrent activity seems completely unaffected - normal speeds for browsing & direct downloads.

* uTorrent properly configured. (And it it plunged from full speed mid-transfer without my making any changes so that kinda rules out any fiddling with the app.)

* I've scanned the computer, drives, re-booted several times.

* I'm hard-wired, wireless is turned off on both router & notebook.

Since this throttling effect began, I've had a few very brief windows of normalized speed - twice at full (normal) speeds, and a few more where it seems to climb to about 56k for 10 - 20 minutes, only to settle back to ~26k again afterward.

Finally, in the past few days I've had difficulty with timeouts from various trackers. This is absolutely not a matter of the trackers going offline as it happens to multiple torrents (from different trackers) simultaneously. It has not, until now, directly affected my speeds. It may or may not have anything to do with this current issue.

I've included a grab of my uTorrent grid. This is after about 90 uninterrupted, running 9 different files (served by at least 12 trackers) One of those files is Ubuntu with several hundred seeds available.

I'm completely stumped, not to mention extremely frustrated.

sMURF

join:2007-02-27
Toronto, ON
reply to BozoTheCl0wn

said by BozoTheCl0wn:

Some people are going to owe the OP an apology

Seems he was right after all.
Not really, since TekSavvy isn't throttling anything.

Think about it, one of the core reasons why TekSavvy continues to grow is because they do not throttle anything. If one day they implemented some sort of throttling system, their reputation would be destroyed, and people would probably leave TekSavvy in droves.

I sure hope Bell isn't throttling wholesalers like TekSavvy. I can't even see that as being legal.

Ank14

I am not saying Teksavvy is throttling but I mean i have never seen my download speeds the way they are right now since I have been with them... so something is up.

ajhaji
Premium
North York, ON
reply to JayTS

You seem to be stuck right around where I'm stuck at right now. I'm bouncing between 25 KB/s and 30 KB/s. Never any higher, never any less.

BozoTheCl0wn

H0H0H0

1 edit
reply to sMURF

said by sMURF:

Not really, since TekSavvy isn't throttling anything.

Think about it, one of the core reasons why TekSavvy continues to grow is because they do not throttle anything. If one day they implemented some sort of throttling system, their reputation would be destroyed, and people would probably leave TekSavvy in droves.

I sure hope Bell isn't throttling wholesalers like TekSavvy. I can't even see that as being legal.
I meant in the sense that they were telling the OP it was impossible etc. I don't doubt TS at all but it was confirmed in another forum that nexxia is doing this so it is in deed happening. Can't wait to see something official from TS on this.

Radar73

join:2008-01-20
Ajax, ON
reply to Bee Beep

So nice to be throttled again. Maybe ROCKY didn't read the fine print in his SLO with Bell.

davidbrown

join:2005-05-31
Toronto, ON
reply to Bee Beep

I doubt TekSavvy is doing this but it seems a little more then odd that this same speed behavior is showing up on the the wholesale dsl providers at the same time.

One or two seeing it maybe but the same exact speed bell does makes one go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Guess it would make sense for bell to do so to prevent people from leaving and you can be sure they have the contracts worded in such a way to get away with it.

babaganush

@teksavvy.com
reply to Bee Beep

man...i was planning on catching up on Lost tonight.....

Radar73

join:2008-01-20
Ajax, ON

said by babaganush :

man...i was planning on catching up on Lost tonight.....
At least there's IRC ... I'd like to see what TSI has to say about it all though ...

MikeA1972

join:2008-02-06
Brantford, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Yup me too.. and I am on a different ISP.. (no not Bell).. just started tonight. This bloody sucks.

davidbrown

Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to Bee Beep

Just chatted with a few buddies and it the same thing is happening on Colosseum too.

I think we have gone past flux here.

Or ^ what he said states it better...lol.

babaganush

@teksavvy.com
reply to Radar73

"At least there's IRC ... I'd like to see what TSI has to say about it all though ..."

funny you should mention that because I was just looking through some right now. The speeds are fine on it, getting around 250 kb/s. its no 400 but itll do for now.

davidbrown

Toronto, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Likely if this is the case of whats happening then they are starting slowly and then reach out and cover the rest.

smoki

join:2000-10-19
Oakville, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Click for full size
I thought I'd try Lost, it seems like i'm not affected yet...

smoki

join:2000-10-19
Oakville, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Click for full size
speed is picking up...

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Earth
reply to Bee Beep

Click for full size
Click for full size
I don't see an issue. Downloading Open Suse. Image 1 Graph at 1 sec Image 2 Graph at 5 sec.