spc
Search similar:

uniqs
n00bicals3
join:2006-01-18
Carleton Place, ON

n00bicals3 to jfmezei

to jfmezei

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

reminds me of dial up. once i tried to download a movie on kazaa, and it took a week of night downloading to get it, and then it turns out to not be what i wanted, damn fakes

GDSComp
join:2004-08-30
London, ON

GDSComp to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
I don't see any need to get upset. I saw the news tonite on CBC and Rocky was doin a fine job on the phone..15 calls in conference. ...oh ya, who's your long distance provider ? Ma Bell is playin games as usual..don't get mad..get even..Boycott all Bell appliances..cell phones etc. just wait ..the guys at TekSavvy are lookin into phone service...keep up the great work Rocky..you know what I think of Beavers....LoL...
Reimer
join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON

Reimer to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
throttling seems to be at 60 KB/s at times
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

At 02:02 EDT, my torrent went from a pretty stable 56KB/s down, and 43 up to 180KB/s and 65 up. (this didn't last long because my download finished quickly once that rate was achieved.)

So it looks like Pointe Claire Québec got infected by Bell's throttling disease.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz

MVM

Pointe-Claire got throttled as far as Sympatico is concerned quite some time ago :P
georgej214
join:2007-12-11
Montreal, QC

1 edit

georgej214 to BozoTheCl0wn

to BozoTheCl0wn
I have noticed some kind of throttling today. Switched from Bell to tekavvy for a few months. Usually I can get around 300KB/s download speed. Now download speed has been sharped at around 70KB/s, sometimes even worse, only at 30KB/s. Speedtest was normal as usual. What happen?
I am going to cancel my bell home phone!
sknighti8
join:2004-12-21
North York, ON

sknighti8 to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
I heard newsgroups were throttled but was wondering which newsgroup services were and what ports they were using

xPBxNaStY
join:2007-08-17
Harrow, ON

xPBxNaStY to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
im still unthrottled. im 30 km's south of windsor

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

drjp81 to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
Still unthrottled in Longueuil (Quebec) dloading ubuntu at 500KB/s
Sash55
join:2007-12-13
Brampton, ON

Sash55

Hey, seems not everything is throttled. The CBC's next great prime minister I was able to download at full speed.

»www.mininova.org/tor/1266417
dscott23
join:2008-05-03
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

dscott23 to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
Well, I've been throttled since this all started, but it was limited strictly to torrent transfers. Now, it seems I've got a different problem.

I run a Debian system, and am in the middle of a dist-upgrade from stable to testing. It's a large upgrade, about 700MB of new packages required. When I started, I was getting my full transfer speeds... then it suddenly dropped, around 7:30pm.

I would consider it a slow connection from the debian server I'm getting the packages from, except it's maxing out at 30KB, and it's the only thing affected (aside from torrents, which are also capped at 30KB). So what was to take 20 min. to download is now going to take 4 hours.

Any other linux users experiencing this? This is absurd.

edit: I tried changing the repo server I connect to, and speeds are back. I was initially using the servers at York University, and have changed to http.us.debian. Hopefully it keeps up.

An0nymous
@teksavvy.com

An0nymous

Anon

If you have problems with Linux upgrades with all mirrors, at specific time, find someone who does not (e.g. a friend with cable), then report it to the CRTC:

»Is your VoIP or VPN affected by Bell's throttling practices?
berethorn
join:2008-05-07
Russell, ON

berethorn to dscott23

to dscott23
I have Ubuntu, and since the release of Hardy 8.04 the repositories have been slow as you described. At least with Ubuntu, it's not a throttling issue.

I see you fixed it, but for anyone else who might be experiencing this problem, try this:

System > Administration > Software Sources > click "Download from", then "Other", then "Select Best Server"

Worked for me - I just did it a few minutes ago and now I'm back to full speed downloading!

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Bee Beep

Premium Member

to Bee Beep
Ok,

I'm brand new to DSL and to TekSavvy and this whole throttling thing has me confused (formerly from Rogers Portable Internet/WiMax 1.5mb connection).

Is this 30kB/s strictly from a download standpoint on the throttle or a combined 30kB/s (say 15kb up/15kb down)...

Just wondering so I know if I should goof with my connections and whatnot or just leave them alone...

I don't know if its listed in here, but ...I'm lazy

UT_CK
Premium Member
join:2008-01-28

UT_CK

Premium Member

Ok Lazy,
The 30 KB/s is download only.

CK
{:(B)

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by UT_CK:

Ok Lazy,
The 30 KB/s is download only.

CK
{:(B)
Oh ok, then I don't feel the throttle . Had some torrents going at around 100-150kB/s last night...I'm wireless so I'm happy enough with that performance...
xraminx
join:2008-04-26
Montreal, QC

xraminx to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
Anyone has a practical technical workaround that can readily be deployed and will help us avoid being throttled.

Something like a "secure channel" that can be established over a random port each time the service starts. This way they have to throttle all services (including http). Is there such service/software out there?

What about other alternatives? Satellite? WiMax? ...

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

1 edit

drjp81

In all honesty the only supplier I know that is 100% throttle free at the moment is Videotron in the province of Quebec and Telus elsewhere.

Problem is, you'd have to get everyone to use the said secure channel tool. (open SSH or open VPN are a few) The moment bell's DPI boxes detect a Torrent packet, incoming and possibly out, bang throttle. So if everyone was throttled equally, something would pop up quite quickly.

I don't see how it would be feasible.

Edit spelling

Anyone?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Bee Beep

MVM

to Bee Beep
Talk about thread necrophelia...

The community has found numerous solutions to get around the throttling. Look around the forum.
hardywang
join:2006-01-13
London, ON

hardywang to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep
Samething happens to me. BT download won't be faster than 30k/s. If I download from Microsoft web site, it easily reaches 400k/s.

Anon Name
@teksavvy.com

Anon Name to Bee Beep

Anon

to Bee Beep
Yeah I don't care what you say ... i've been a client for a long time and you started throttle....damn you or whoever is doing it!