uniqs

tomkb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

[Windows] How big is RDP traffic

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into RDP and how many sessions can be opened and used simultaneously for a given bandwidth. I have heard that the load is only one way, on the server sending the rdp.

Any insights appreciated.
utahluge
join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

1 edit

utahluge

I am interested too. I can make a connection over 5Mb and it seems to run ok. My house has 10Mb WAN so I will see how many connections I can make before it gets sluggish (I will try to remember anyway).

Edit 10Mb WAN
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

There is no simple cut-and-dried rule. It very much depends on the amount and the nature of change happening on screen. I've also seen a big difference between remote admin mode and application server mode.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to tomkb

Premium Member

to tomkb
56k/session is usually a good rule of thumb. You can use much less if you select a lower resolution, don't share printers/drives if not needed, turn off sound, etc.

tomkb
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

I'm hearing 80k is worst case, but only one way from the server serving the session. The return traffic is very light. Does anyone know if there is a max number?

thanks.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

I manage video servers as part of my job and I can self-inflict pain when RDP'ing into my NetDVR with even low frame-rate full screen video feeds. This is over a WAN/internet link of load balanced 512Kbps circuits. Despite the two links, load balancing allows me to use only one 512Kbps link.

Doing a very rough test now, I can push my gig link to 5% RDP'ing to my NetDVR.

tomkb
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

said by LLigetfa:

I manage video servers as part of my job and I can self-inflict pain when RDP'ing into my NetDVR with even low frame-rate full screen video feeds. This is over a WAN/internet link of load balanced 512Kbps circuits. Despite the two links, load balancing allows me to use only one 512Kbps link.

Doing a very rough test now, I can push my gig link to 5% RDP'ing to my NetDVR.
Ok, if I read what you are saying, it's possible that it can go much higher than 80k. I'm being told this will be terminal services instead of rdp, but only used for desktop access and not application presentation.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

We run several high speed camera systems in our production facilities and those run RDP in application server mode but the simple test I did above is not one of those.

We have a bunch of low speed cameras for monitoring and security and the NetDVR server that hosts them is in Remote Admin mode, not application server mode.

We also have a lot of Citrix servers that serve up desktops and seamless apps. They have no issues over the 512Kb WAN links and some users even use them over dialup. Dialup is painful once you've had a taste of high speed.

tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL

tekmunki to tomkb

Premium Member

to tomkb
This might be of help during your load testing.

»ts.veranoest.net/ts_faq_ ··· tion.htm
said by [website :

Q: How can I measure RDP bandwidth usage?
Last modified: June 17, 2007

A: You can use Network Monitor (Netmon) to capture all RDP traffic. You can install Netmon on your server through Add/Remove Windows components.

Before starting the capture:

Choose Capture - Buffer settings and increase the buffer size to 256 MB
Choose Capture - Trigger, check Buffer space, 100%, and Stop Capture
Choose Capture - Filter, Create two pattern matches, connected by an OR condition. One for an offset of 0x22 with a pattern of 0d3d and a second one with an offset of 0x24 with a pattern of 0d3d
These patterns tell Netmon to only capture data with a source or destination port of 3389 (the default port for RDP)
Click the Start capture button, check the Captured Statistics section (the numbers should be increasing), and then minimize Netmon. You want to minimize Netmon because the updating of its display will generate rdp traffic thus skewing the numbers.

Check back later to view the results. Netmon will stop capturing automatically when it has captured approximately 256 MB of RDP traffic. You can look at the elapsed time, captured frames, captured bytes, and calculate bandwidth statistics from them.

It is also possible to adjust your filtering so that you only capture packets from certain IP addresses.

Leathal
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Richmond Hill, ON

Leathal to tomkb

Premium Member

to tomkb
RDP in administrator mode only allows for 2 connections simiantiously.

RDP in application mode (Terminal Service) allows for as many licenses as you have purchased, Microsoft unfortunately gives you no grace when it comes to TS licenses like they do with their other products, so if you have zero license zero users will be able to connect in application mode.

Secondly this talk about bandwidth is important but what is also important is the machine itself and what purpose these uses will have. If they accessing databases, accounting software, anything that is intensive on the machine you will have to dish out the $$$ to support it.

I agree that 5Mbit/sec bi-directional is the minimum connection speed one should consider but 10Mbit/sec bi-directional is recommended to start.

TS shouldn't be treated as toy as it's a very serious application with very high expectations when it comes to the hardware it runs on.

Leathal
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

3 edits

LLigetfa to tomkb

to tomkb
said by tomkb:

I'm being told this will be terminal services instead of rdp, but only used for desktop access and not application presentation.
Not sure what distiction you are trying to make. Terminal Services is a term that applies to both Application Server and Remote Administration modes. RDP is a lower level communication protocol that both of the above use. With the addition of Citrix, ICA is also available.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl to tomkb

MVM

to tomkb
Click for full size
I just ran across this while going through the Vista SP1 Release Notes.

»download.microsoft.com/d ··· otes.htm

You may, or may not, find it interesting...
quote:
Windows Vista SP1 includes a new compression algorithm for the RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) that helps reduce network bandwidth required to send bitmaps or images via RDP. The compression, which can be selected by administrators via Group Policy settings, is transparent to all RDP traffic, and typically reduces the size of the RDP stream by as much as 25-60%, based on preliminary test results.
The group policy is illustrated in the screen shots (from my Vista Ultimate laptop) and is in the Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Terminal Server path.

tomkb
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

hey, thanks.