how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bee Beep

join:2007-09-21
Scarborough, ON
reply to Bee Beep

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

Remember when Bell first start throttling and most people say there is no such thing happening? Calling people lier? Posting stat to show off how good the downloading is?

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

We do not throttle.

GKC

join:2008-03-07
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teksavvy's throttling now?

I don't know how many times I've seen posts by Rocky and Rick assuring their subscriber's that TekSavvy does not throttle, and that, TekSavvy does not believe in throttling, and, yet, the message still isn't across that TekSavvy does not throttle. Wake up and smell the coffee, people, or we'll throw you all into the darkness for one hour on March 29 between the hours of 8-9 p.m. for Earth Hour to think about it.

NoOneImportant

@adultxspace.com
reply to JGROCKY

said by JGROCKY:

We do not throttle.
Rocky, I'm not a technical expert but is it possible that Bell is doing the throttling before it goes to your network?

zinc
Premium
join:2004-02-17
Kitchener, ON

AFAIK Bell doesn't have the technology to throttle like that. Instead what is possible if all downloads are going slow (not just torrents) then it's possible that Bell's network is saturated in the op's area... that wouldn't be anything that hasn't happened before.

sMURF

join:2007-02-27
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to GKC

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now?

said by GKC:

I don't know how many times I've seen posts by Rocky and Rick assuring their subscriber's that TekSavvy does not throttle, and that, TekSavvy does not believe in throttling, and, yet, the message still isn't across that TekSavvy does not throttle. Wake up and smell the coffee, people, or we'll throw you all into the darkness for one hour on March 29 between the hours of 8-9 p.m. for Earth Hour to think about it.
It's easier for people to blame the ISP instead of themselves.

Bee Beep, try this torrent, it should either max out or get close to your max download speed: »releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ubuntu-···.torrent

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Bee Beep

said by Bee Beep:

Remember when Bell first start throttling and most people say there is no such thing happening? Calling people lier? Posting stat to show off how good the downloading is?
If everyone says they're not being throttled and the owners/employees says there is none, you better believe it.

GKC

join:2008-03-07
Toronto, ON

Teksavvy's throttling now?

Exactly!

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to zinc

said by zinc:

AFAIK Bell doesn't have the technology to throttle like that.
Even if Bell had the equipment, they probably would not have the legal clearance to actively interfere with wholesale traffic.

As you said in the rest of your post, Bell is most likely experiencing local link or equipment overload. Me and a few others in the Anjou and St-Leonard areas have encountered somewhat lousy speeds during peak hours over the last few weeks or months. In my case, line stats certainly are not to blame with 4dB up / 10dB down attenuation and 26dB down SNRM. Everything was great for the first two weeks from activation but it has been slowly going downhill with no change in line stats.

While downloading torrents, the highest I can push my upload before the whole thing starts falling apart is around 45KB/s. This is at least 20KB/s short of what I was expecting from a 800kbps sync.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to The Flash

>If everyone says they're not being throttled and the
>owners/employees says there is none, you better believe it.

If you've said something that irritated the network guru(s), then it is possible that guru would have added some router filters that affect just you. (and of course, the owners wouldn't know about this).

The best bet is for you to write a public apology to the network gurus at Teksavvy, and then send half a dozen bananas as well as 2 dozen timbits via FedEx to the Teksavvy barn in Chatham, and then pray that they remove the filter that applies just for you.

(Make sure the courrier company you use delivers to the small farming community of Chatham in reasonable time, if Teksavvy ends up getting a box full of decomposing bananas mixed with moss-covered timbits, they may get even more mad at you and lower your speeds even further

Seriously though:

Have you tried »speedtest.teksavvy.com ?

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium
join:2002-06-18

jf forgot to mention to include a note of what you expect to be resolved

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium
join:2002-06-18

1 edit

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pQjoVRYY8

smihaila

join:2004-08-17
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by zinc:

AFAIK Bell doesn't have the technology to throttle like that.
Even if Bell had the equipment, they probably would not have the legal clearance to actively interfere with wholesale traffic.

As you said in the rest of your post, Bell is most likely experiencing local link or equipment overload. Me and a few others in the Anjou and St-Leonard areas have encountered somewhat lousy speeds during peak hours over the last few weeks or months. In my case, line stats certainly are not to blame with 4dB up / 10dB down attenuation and 26dB down SNRM. Everything was great for the first two weeks from activation but it has been slowly going downhill with no change in line stats.
Yes, I'm in the same situation as you (Anjou). After 4PM the best download speed I can get is 600kbit. In the mornings it is 4.4megabit. It's been 2 months since I'm waiting for the ticket that TSI opened with Bell to come to a resolution.

Bellundo

@teksavvy.com
reply to InvalidError

Read a post posted by FCKINFEDUP in the sympatico forum. Suppose he's right?

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON

1 edit

What thread?

Edit: just found it... Not sure this is related... I think it's more of a load thing from what we're seeing on the way they're doing this, if this is what they're doing.

load of what

@mc.videotron.ca

from the times given in the complaints above and from the times given till the complainers mentioned the "load-balancing" stopped, its the same times exactly as the predefined times of the Bell throttle.

I guess the users who are affected should watch the times their speed drop to 30kB/s and when it stops.

But so far the times match bells throttle exactly.

So if bell is trying to toss technical terms such as "load balancing" to mean their throttle, then I think the only "load" is the "load" bell shoveled to you as the explanation

sad day indeed for those affected.

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON

1 edit

I personally used the words load balance as they said a sort of global throttle, when the loads were heavy, but the problem with using throttle in this case is they're spreading the pain in areas that are overloaded. So, as it seems a throttle is in place it may also be a load-balance tactic of sorts.

Will respond with more details as they become available, as right we're pretty much just guessing too.
--
TSI Rocky - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

BozoTheCl0wn

join:2005-04-01
H0H0H0

said by JGROCKY:

I personally used the words load balance as they said a sort of global throttle, when the loads were heavy, but the problem with using throttle in this case is they're spreading the pain in areas that are overloaded. So, as it seems a throttle is in place it may also be a load-balance tactic of sorts.

Will respond with more details as they become available, as right we're pretty much just guessing too.
A load balance that only affects BT? Sound like throttling to me. People affected can do other protocols at full speed. Even the start and stop times seem the same as with BS.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

sMURF

join:2007-02-27
Toronto, ON
reply to JGROCKY

said by JGROCKY:

Is throttling Bell's answer to everything?

While I wasn't affected by any throttling last night, I'm still pissed off. Does Bell even realize that demand will continue to rise? All the money they're spending on throttling technologies, all the money they gain by raping their customers, or all the money saved by using low skill scriptmonkeys in India could be used to upgrade their pathetic network.

I don't use torrents that often anymore, as I mostly use Usenet. However, I'd still like to know that torrents aren't crippled should I decide to use them, which is just one reason why I left Rogers.

Bell pisses me off, they need to get their shit together.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to JGROCKY

I am very suspicious of "load balance".

Load balance would imply spreading the load on multiple links to provide more throughput.

From what I read here, it appears that they would be doing "load management" by reducing maximum throughput so that a few users don't take up all available bandwidth between a BAS and a DSLAM (or wherever there is a bottleneck).

Is raising DSL speeds beyond 5mbps results in such tactics, then I would rather they delay speed upgrades until they can raise speeds without any funky undocumented network "management" stuff.

Secondly, and more importantly, if they are doing load management or whatever they wich to call it, it should be done on all packets, not packets of a certain protocol.

My relationship is with Teksavvy. Not Bell. Bell is a supplier of data communications, like a transit provider and has no business messing with my traffic. They are paid to bulk carry it to Teksavy.

They can look at the PPPoE headers to determine the routing of the *PPPOE* packet, but they have no business looking at the TCPIP header to determine what type of data is being transmitted between me and my ISP.

First, Bell convinces Teksavvy to stop offering Login only accounts. and now it start to do funky network management stuff that negates the policies of the ISP.

Someone will have to put their foot down and tell Bell to stop this.