Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

Copy a folder and retain the creation date?

When you copy a folder/subdirectory, the creation date and time is set to the current date/time (which is technically correct). Is there any Microsoft or third party tool the will copy a folders and assign the original creation date to the copied folder? I looked at the XCOPY switches but didn’t see any that would do this.

By mistake I created a primary partition instead of an extended partition/logical drive and the only way I know to convert it to a logical drive is to copy everything to another drive, delete the partition, create a new extended partition/logical drive, and copy everything back.

Partition Magic 8 claims to be able to convert primary to logical, but the partition is larger than the maximum size Partition Magic supports.
--
Jim Anderson

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
How about this ?

Set your system date to the date you want the folders to have. Copy the files/folders. Reset the date on your PC.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to janderso1
Robocopy should take care of that for you..»www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta···ylang=en

If you want a GUI for it: »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga···891.aspx

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
Click for full size
The good news is robocopy does maintain the original file dates (not shown). Unfortunately it assigns the current date time to all the subdirectories. Here is my command line

ROBOCOPY F:\PC2A\ G:\PC1FDRIVE\ /E /XJ /COPYALL /NFL /NDL /LOG:G:\LOG.TXT /TEE /R:2 /CREATE

Am I doing something wrong?
--
Jim Anderson

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to janderso1
I may have found the solution.

»[Need Info] How reliable is XXCOPY?
--
Jim Anderson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to janderso1
quote:
How about this ?

Set your system date to the date you want the folders to have. Copy the files/folders. Reset the date on your PC.
About the easiest way i reckon..

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
I want the folder creation date to be the creation date of the original folder, not an arbitrary date for all the folders.
--
Jim Anderson

dantz

join:2005-05-09
Honolulu, HI
reply to janderso1
The new version of Robocopy that comes with Windows Vista allows you to copy the folder timestamps if you use the /DCOPY:T switch. The XP version of Robocopy is unable to do this.

bcastner
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to janderso1
First, the "rules" used on Creation and Modified Date and Time Stamps for all Copy and Move operations:

»support.microsoft.com/default.as···&SD=HSCH

There are a lot of freeware utilities that allow you to modify any date/time stamp on a file or folder; e.g.:

"Date Edit"
»home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm

"FPC" »www.segobit.com/fpc.htmhttp://ww···/fpc.htm

dantz

Honolulu, HI
said by bcastner:

There are a lot of freeware utilities that allow you to modify any date/time stamp on a file or folder; e.g.:

"Date Edit"
»home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/freeutil.htm

"FPC" »www.segobit.com/fpc.htmhttp://ww···/fpc.htm
Yes, you can manually edit your folder dates after the fact, but if you are going to copy several hundred or several thousand folders to a new location then you would probably prefer to keep your existing folder dates rather than editing the copied folders one by one.

Incidentally, we seem to have two threads going at once on this topic. See this thread for more information:

»[Need Info] How reliable is XXCOPY?

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to janderso1
If you zip the folder up when you unzip it it will have the origanal date.

dantz

Honolulu, HI
What zip program are you using?

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to dantz
downloadRCOPYFRF.BAT.zip 326 bytesdownloadRCOPYFRF2.bat.zip 325 bytesdownloadCOPYFRZ3.BAT.zip 309 bytes
downloadlogs.txt 3,991 bytes  
Thanks to all who replied.

The Vista version of Robocopy does optionally retain directory dates.

The batch file rcopyfrf uses the /CREATE switch to create the directory structure with zero length files. It took 7 minutes and 40 seconds to complete.

The batch file rcopyfrf2 is the same as rcopyfrf except the create switch is removed causing the actual files to be copied. It took 7 hours and 19 minutes to complete (running on Vista). This is about 2 hours longer than Xxcopy required to do the same copy running on XP.

The batch file copyfrz3 uses Xxcopy to do a byte for byte compare of the files. It took 4 hours and 18 minutes to complete running on XP. For some reason the X(clude) switches didn’t work causing “System Volume Information” and “RECYCLER” to be copied by Xxcopy

These times are for a total of 55973 files in 4460 directories with a total of 267 gigabytes.
--
Jim Anderson

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
said by janderso1:

It took 7 hours and 19 minutes to complete (running on Vista). This is about 2 hours longer than Xxcopy required to do the same copy running on XP.
It's an interesting observation.
Thank you for sharing
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to dantz
The default zip program on Winxp

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to janderso1

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
Saint Petersburg, FL
You forgot the .How long do you think it would take you to use that tool on 4000+ directories?
--
Jim Anderson