join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Got some info on some possible causes of mail problems

Click for full size
err553.pdf
845,274 bytes
I have a few people that are getting an error 553. here's a document I got earlier today that should help with those.
Dugbert
join:2007-02-07
Newport Beach, CA

Dugbert

said by David:

I have a few people that are getting an error 553. here's a document I got earlier today that should help with those.
Thank you immensely for this. This is the first thing I've read for days that actually helped to solve my problem. I was unable to send with non-ATT/Yahoo "from" headers even after "verifying" the additional addresses. This revealed to me the additional step of "adding" those addresses as additional "accounts."

I raise my glass to you, David. Cheers!

(Apologies to anyone who posted the same info as it failed to soak into my thick head as well as this PDF did.)

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by Dugbert:

Thank you immensely for this. This is the first thing I've read for days that actually helped to solve my problem. I was unable to send with non-ATT/Yahoo "from" headers even after "verifying" the additional addresses. This revealed to me the additional step of "adding" those addresses as additional "accounts."
Thanks for the confirm that it helped, yea I think they are still allowing the from field to be different, but if you want it different you have to verify the account exists. Something I think spammers were getting away with.
said by Dugbert:

I raise my glass to you, David. Cheers!
Actually if you can pass me one that would suit me fine!

Oh wait... no drinking on the job!!

rdwyer
@sbcglobal.net

rdwyer to Lizz

Anon

to Lizz

Re: Email Problems?

I talked to Management at AT&T DSL. He said that the filter will remain, and that they won't change anything. I haven't received any emails for weeks. AT&T sux!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to David

MVM

to David

Re: Got some info on some possible causes of mail problems

said by David:

I think they are still allowing the from field to be different, but if you want it different you have to verify the account exists. Something I think spammers were getting away with.
I have not seen much, if any, spam through Yahoo! Mail servers. This does not stop spammers from forging sender email addresses using other mail hosts. jordanair See Profile offers a more plausible suggestion here:

»ATT Email powered by Yahoo

Closing a loophole which allowed businesses to use Yahoo! Mail servers (including 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com') on the cheap ($19.99 a year) instead of paying for hosting their own domains.
NormanS

NormanS to rdwyer

MVM

to rdwyer

This "filter" is a requirement of Yahoo!, not AT&T Internet Services. It applies to all Yahoo! Mail servers, including 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com'.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

Re: Got some info on some possible causes of mail problems

now that makes sense. What kills me is some people,even though they have their own SMTP server for their own webhost, thought it was required to use our SMTP.

One thing to note: if you have your own Webhosting/email SMTP server connection, it is not required that you use at&t Yahoo! 's SMTP server at all.
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

said by David:

One thing to note: if you have your own Webhosting/email SMTP server connection, it is not required that you use at&t Yahoo! 's SMTP server at all.
However, it should be noted that to do this you'll either have to change the SMTP port number to 587 (if your hosting company supports 587, most do) or else you'll need to request that port 25 be unblocked. To get it unblocked go here, fill out the details of your Master Account and select "**Opt Out Port 25" from the Abuse Type pull down....

»helpme.att.net/servabuse.php

AT&T will unblock 25 within hours of receiving the request.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

2 edits

David

Premium Member

Thanks tony, I forgot to mention that one, one thing to note also is on tony's info is 3 things

• once the unblock is requested it can take up to 24 hours but I have heard of them being done in 15 min. So keep that in mind.

• Another thing you will also have to re-authenticate with the ID that you request unblocked. Note: if you use say your master account with e-mail but use say a sub-account for say your person router authentication, the router's account would need to be unblocked and equipment re authenticated in order to complete the unblock. Any unblock of port 25 you request is 1/2 done by at&t and in order for it to be completed you have to re-authenticate in order for it to take hold.

• Also note: Once unblocked, do keep in mind if you are caught spamming, or show up on blacklists you can be locked back down. That's just security measure and best e-mail practice.
tonydi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

tonydi

Premium Member

Good info on the re-authentication, I wasn't aware of that requirement. What a PAIN this whole authentication idea is! Perhaps once MS takes over Yahoo, AT&T will find email service from someone who looks at changes from the customer's perspective.
DennisKeith
join:2008-05-22
Dana Point, CA

DennisKeith to Lizz

to Lizz

We started having problems with the service about 2 months ago. We were legacy customers of PacBell and were forcibly moved to the Yahoo servers 3 weeks ago. Our links to people in France have been interrupted almost continuously since the move to Yahoo. The blocking messages, forwarded to us from the senders contain the information :
host pbimail7.prodigy.net[207.115.37.22] said:553 5.3.0 nlpi035,DNSBL:521_is_blocked.
These people had been sent to the RemoveMe site and, after 5 days, the block was removed. One day later, it is back. Is there any more permanent solution to this problem short of switching email providers?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by DennisKeith:

We started having problems with the service about 2 months ago. We were legacy customers of PacBell and were forcibly moved to the Yahoo servers 3 weeks ago.
This is the first I have heard of this. Did you actually not take steps to migrate?
Our links to people in France have been interrupted almost continuously since the move to Yahoo. The blocking messages, forwarded to us from the senders contain the information :
host pbimail7.prodigy.net[207.115.37.22] said:553 5.3.0 nlpi035,DNSBL:521_is_blocked.
These people had been sent to the RemoveMe site and, after 5 days, the block was removed. One day later, it is back. Is there any more permanent solution to this problem short of switching email providers?
The host, 'pbimail7.prodigy.net', is not run by Yahoo!. The error message does not reflect anything to do with the Yahoo! mail servers, and everything to do with changes at the mail servers run by AT&T Internet Services. Without seeing the offending IP address, I can only guess. But some European ISPs allow their customers to run mail servers on dynamically hosted IP addresses. I block those on my MTA, as well. As do AOL, and, sometimes, Comcast. Your correspondent might need to send his email through his provider's message submission servers.