spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

sparks

how do you bypass c:\windows\temp

Every time I dl something with mozilla it is directed to dl it to g:\tempDL and it shows up there while downloading but it is really being downloaded to c:\windows\temp.
Is there any way to tell it to dl to the directory I have specified?

rosco35
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
USA

rosco35

Premium Member

is your default download directory set in (firefox?) preferences?
sparks
Little Rock, AR

sparks

thats what I have but it is still downloading to the c:\windows\temp directory.
But if I got to the path I selected save files to it shows up there as well.

I was dl the multiplayer demo of world in conflict that is 3 Gigs and my c drive ran out of space. I was surprised since it was dl to g:

then in the temp directory there was a 2.4G file that was the same as the 2.4G file in g

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to sparks

Premium Member

to sparks
Probably because your TEMP environment variable is set to c:\windows\temp.
sparks
Little Rock, AR

sparks

jjoshua can I say DOH LOL

thanks big time for pointing that out.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

Odd. I know IE always downloads to your %temp% directory first and THEN moves it to the proper destination, but I was under the impression that the Mozillas downloaded directly to their real destination drives/folders....

According to one guy, "Both Opera and Firefox download to the Local Settings\Temp, while IE downloads to the bowels of Temporary Internet Files\schmutz."

From a Metafilter post:
Go to "about:config". Search for the preference "applications.tmp_dir". If it's there, right click on it, select modify, and change it to the directory you want to use. If it's not there (it's not for me in Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 on Linux), right click anywhere, select New -> String, input "applications.tmp_dir" as the preference name, and the directory for the value.

It should work without restarting Firefox.
posted by Plutor at 4:35 AM on September 27
Ah, here's some more meat at »www.mozilla.org/quality/ ··· mgr.html
Once of the biggest issues that affects download UI, including the download manager, is the fact that Mozilla starts downloading the file into a temporary location, rather than directly into the specified target location. This has resulted in a slew of behavioral and appearance issues.

* bug 55690: Spool file should be moved once the user picks a filename (saving a file creates a file before location is chosen)
* bug 129923 (meta): Bugs related to pre-saving files to temp directory
* bug 132456: Download manager appears for files being opened by helper applications
* bug 155426: Download manager broken on Mac OS X (trunk)

Bugs specific to this feature should reside in the Download Manager component of Bugzilla.

* Currently open bugs under Download Manager (Unconfirmed, New, Assigned and Reopened)
* Currently Resolved Fixed bugs under Download Manager (but not yet Verified)
* Bugs otherwise Resolved under Download Manager as Duplicate, WorksForMe, Invalid or Won't Fix (but not yet Verified)
Somehow the bug at »bugzilla.mozilla.org/sho ··· d=129923 was reported in 2002 but is still classified as "NEW"!!

-- B

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

Strange, I don't have that about:config entry and FF always downloads to the target folder. I can see the temp file grow until complete and renamed.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

Yep, me too! I can confirm that in Seamonkey (largely unmodified) it uses whatever I tell it to, and creates a "requestedfilename.part" file during the download, IN the directory I specify and apparently nowhere else.

My settings are "when saving a file, prompt for download location, and default to Last download folder". (Yes, Seamonkey, unlike Firefox, gives you this level of control in the GUI.)

Hey sparks (OP) what version of Mozilla / Phoenix / Firefox / Netscape / Seamonkey are you using?

-- B