dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
System

Anon

No DSL Due to UDC

I recently tried to get DSL through Juno/Covad but found that this wasn't possible due to "Electronics being on the Line". According to Quest, this electronics is a UDC, otherwise known as a Universal Digital Channell. After 45 minutes of who knows how many phone calls, I got in contact with a lady in Salt Lake that told me that it is against Federal Regulations for Quest to remove this UDC ... even replacing this device for one that would allow DSL to my home is against Federal Regulations (Purely a BS answer if I have ever heard one). She also informed me that Juno or Covad could replace this hardware if they wanted to since they aren't under the same Federal controls that Quest is. However, Juno and Covad aren't willing to touch anything on the phone lines since the lines are controlled and owned by Quest. I would really like to know the truth here. Clearly I'm not the only one on earth with this problem. And if Quest is so lazy that they aren't willing to do anything about the hardware, it would be nice to know of other options. I shouldn't have to pay for a third line. I have two already. Digital cable isn't offered in my area.
Travispdx
join:2000-10-06
Portland, OR

Travispdx

read my post below with the title "the smoking gun" - i think it will help you.