4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6

walterb
@charter.com

walterb to cvig

Anon

to cvig
Yes, same thing.

Charter in Alton Illinois.

can't connect to google, but everything is fine. the IP it tries to use is 64.105.53.126, but if a ping google I get a different IP. It makes me think a proxy server is being used?

Dax
@charter.com

Dax to cvig

Anon

to cvig
I'm also in the St. Louis area and have been having this particular problem for three days now. I can't get to Google at all with www.google.com, however it works if I use www.l.google.com. It must be a Charter problem because it works fine if I go through an anonymous proxy or if I use my AOL dialup connection.

Several weeks ago I had a problem with Google through my Charter connection - it kept directing me to the German Google site.

janet
@charter.com

janet to cvig

Anon

to cvig
Just wanted to echo the issue in St. Louis. Someone I know with the same issue called Charter, and they said since it is only affecting one site, it isn't their fault.

But in my experience, Charter never accepts fault.

sakodak
@xo.net

sakodak to Tarball

Anon

to Tarball
said by Tarball:

If you all would just switch to opendns or level3's dns you would never have this or any other dns problem again..
That's incorrect. The problem appears to be with routing, not name resolution. I've switched my DNS servers at home, and at a client who's having the same trouble, to level 3's DNS servers and the problem persists.

You can watch it happen, it resolves, then says "connecting to ip.add.re.ss" and it just sits there.

What's even more fun is that anything that resolves to google doesn't work. The client I was talking about has google hosting their mail on their own domain, and the behavior is the same: if you connect to mail.theirdomain.com it fails just like you're going to www.google.com.

It appears to be affecting every google related domain except for www.l.google.com.

gmail.com
googlemail.com
google.com

etc...

User in St Louis
@charter.com

User in St Louis to ChtrHelp

Anon

to ChtrHelp
said by ChtrHelp:

Has anyone done any more troubleshooting when the problems is existing?

Can anyone ping www.google.com, google.com or the ip address when it does not appear to be resolving?

Any additional information, specifics would be helpful.

Thank you
Yes, I've tried pinging www.google.com - It returns IP address 64.105.53.126 and times out with 100% packet loss. Yet when using an alternate dialup connection, I have no problem getting to Google.
ChtrHelp
join:2008-01-15

ChtrHelp to cvig

to cvig
This issue is currently being looked into. FYI.

CapnSupermarket
@charter.com

CapnSupermarket to sveg

Anon

to sveg
Sveg, how have you confirmed this? Has Google made a statement about this issue?
ChtrHelp
join:2008-01-15

ChtrHelp to cvig

to cvig
The primary issue with Google that started on friday (4/4)has been isoloated and resolved.
cvig
join:2003-12-31
Marquette, MI

cvig to sakodak

to sakodak
There may be routing issues but the issue discussed in this thread is 100% related to DNS queries returning the wrong IP.
cvig

1 edit

cvig to koz83

to koz83
Yeah, except OpenDNS screws around with Google queries too! They claim this is for getting around some builtin annoyance on the standard Dell images for Windows but I think that is going too far. See this for details:

»blog.opendns.com/2007/05 ··· he-page/
cvig

cvig to ChtrHelp

to ChtrHelp
Thank you (to all the people behind the scenes)! I worked at an (small) ISP for a while and I have no interest in calling into a call center so I'm glad that Charter is active on this forum.

KKs
@charter.com

KKs to cvig

Anon

to cvig
I am in St Louis and was also experiencing this problem. I called charter and asked them if they had any reported issue with their DNS servers since I couldn't connect to google except using openDNS. It was a bit of a wait, but they finally they gave me new DNS IP addresses and that fixed the problem. I still get those annoying requests for passwords, and weird certificated when doing google search.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to ChtrHelp

to ChtrHelp
said by ChtrHelp:

The primary issue with Google that started on friday (4/4)has been isoloated and resolved.
I'm in the Atlanta area, and just started a week ago having a problem connecting to Google mail only [except 2 days I couldn't load BBR].

The Google mail site just keeps flipping in and out with a blank "Loading" page. Is that their internal problem?