spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pinkdotts
join:2002-07-09
Wichita Falls, TX

pinkdotts

Home Run Question

Ok whenever my service gets up im going to do a homerun regardless of signal stats.

I moved into this house about 3 weeks ago and still waiting on service..
anyhow i opened up my nid and see i have 2 wires going to the IW of the house. Blue and organge pair. I checked the house and im using only the blue pair. Not shown in this picture I already disconnected the orange pair off the red and green terminals on the coustomer side (lower left corner)

I already have a pots splitter SPS-H70-SR1. My question is when i wire up the network part do i just screw into the red/green block on the coustomer side or do i screw into the red/ green protection block on the telecom side?

Thanks!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Legally speaking, you are not supposed to open the Telecom side of the NID much less alter the wiring on that side. All homeowner initiated wiring alterations/changes are supposed to be done only on the customer side of the NID as I understand it. I'll respectfully defer to the AT&T Techs who frequent this forum for their response.
pinkdotts
Wichita Falls, TX

pinkdotts

I understand the legal point, There is no lock and the screw was already loose on the telecom side of the nid to the point i just opend it up, to take a picture of the wiring

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l to pinkdotts

MVM

to pinkdotts
Splice the wires to the splitter so that they they are still "downstream" of the test jack on the customers side, e.g. the test jack will still be functional after the splitter installation. This will enable you to still be able to run a true NID test if your splitter should fail or be suspected of causing problems.

Use "peanut splices" obtainable at Home Depot or maybe Radio Shack to make the connections. I used Ideal UY (the yellow ones) telephone splice connectors, part #85-950, from Home Depot.

Edit: To be more clear, you would run a wire pair from the test jack lugs to the input lugs of the splitter, and then run another pair from the POTS output lugs back to the NID to splice to your existing inside wiring that you have pulled from the test jack lugs.
pinkdotts
Wichita Falls, TX

pinkdotts

the wire pair from the test jack lugs to the input lugs on the splitter would be the network correct? and the other pair that is getting spliced is obviously the voice.

thanks

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to pinkdotts

MVM

to pinkdotts
I think to the network lugs from the test jack lugs would be correct. I've forgotten what the labels are. If the third set of lugs is labelled "data", then the "network" lugs for input is right.

The paste on label for the lugs in my older corning splitter was put on upside down. So it was a little confusing to wire up.
pinkdotts
Wichita Falls, TX

pinkdotts

looks just like this
»/r0/do ··· copy.jpg

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l to pinkdotts

MVM

to pinkdotts
OK then. I had it right from memory. The newer corning splitter is much easier to wire up than the older model.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to pinkdotts

MVM

to pinkdotts
said by pinkdotts:

My question is when i wire up the network part do i just screw into the red/green block on the customer side or do i screw into the red/ green protection block on the telecom side?
Connect to the customer side test jack, the purpose of the test jack is to provide a easy way to disconnect the buildings inside phone wiring from at&t's wiring. If you lose dial tone its the first place to test.

Are you going to use a different wire pair in the existing phone wiring for the modem or run a separate cable?
pinkdotts
Wichita Falls, TX

pinkdotts

I will be running a seperate cat5e cable for the dsl line

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You will get the same results by using the orange pair in the existing cable and a dual rj11 wall plate at the modem.
pinkdotts
Wichita Falls, TX

pinkdotts

ill have to check that out as well. i went around to all the telephone jacks in the house and pulled off the orange pair just to make sure nothing was using that.

my line isnt totally up yet but i actually went from a flashing red light to a flashing green light today. ill plug into the nid later when i get home to see if anything will change.

checked the line stats and got this
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 6016 kbps
Upstream Rate: 768 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 17.0 dB (Downstream) 19.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 25.6 dB (Downstream) 13.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 10.1 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0x00} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The stats look like what a 2wire has. If the 2wire is a 2701HG-B when the dsl and internet light goes green the dsl is ready for use.