share rss forum feed

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

2 recommendations

Thanks Karl.

It's about time Google started to be called what they are, which is an "advertising company concerned with selling ads". I would complete that thought by including "a publicly traded" in that sentence before "advertising". Their duty is to their shareholders and if that somehow benefits a customer here and there then great.

They do marketing by press release. Unfortunately a lot of the press swallows it whole without a single critical thought.

Thanks for shining the light.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

Fisamo
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
·VOIPO

Agreed.

Based on the posts in the forum attached to yesterday's article about the spectrum winners, it's apparent that it wasn't just the press that was swallowing Google's releases without much critical thought.

Google didn't fail anyone, as they never promised to win any of the spectrum...

decadent
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Piscataway, NJ

I think, the price of wireless spectrum has been inflated by Google participation, i.e. telco has overpaid for it. There is saying: "Generals always prepare to fight the last war". Wireless voice market is near saturation and telco won't be able to get the same revenue for data as voice. It is actually the same was with landlines. Voice was true cash cows, not DSL. Otherwise they would not go to video market. I think, in near future they start selling unused spectrum for 30%-50% of original price.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to RadioDoc

quote:
a lot of the press swallows it whole without a single critical thought.
All of the press.

Every single report I've read this morning suggests Google was "winning by losing":

»news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8&rl···rch+News

It's suddenly like we're in one of those highly progressive self-help education classes where nobody loses.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

3 edits
reply to decadent

Making Verizon overpay for something is like saying you forced someone with a 70 IQ to say something stupid.

It's negligible and irrelevant. Verizon would have spent twice that if it meant protecting their massive profit margins (caller ID, SMS, MMS) long term -- without batting an eyelash. Verizon is an epic U.S. business operation with one of the most powerful lobbying machine's on K-Street, and Google just started lobbying Uncle Sam last month or so...

reply to Karl Bode

Not everyone, Karl

said by Karl Bode:

quote:
a lot of the press swallows it whole without a single critical thought.
All of the press.
Not all of the press:
»www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/···se-loses

You wrote it far better than I did, but not everybody saw this as some kind of Google victory for the ages.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to Karl Bode

Re: Thanks Karl.

said by Karl Bode:

...is like saying you forced someone with a 70 IQ to say something stupid.
I resemble that remark!

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to David Utter

Re: Not everyone, Karl

"Only the prospect of Google or a similarly-minded company winning the spectrum excited us. Imagine if Google's nascent Android mobile platform would have arrived at one of the big Asian manufacturing firms with specs for a 700MHz antenna in place."

Well, you weren't giggling and grinning that Google had somehow fooled the big guys into their tent but are still giving them a pass on intent.

As Karl put it much more generally, Google is an advertising company. The only interest they had in this auction was to make sure their ad model was not totally locked out of whatever "new" services climb from the swamp. You're still talking like they are some benevolent rich uncle making sure the bullies don't take over the playground. In reality they are more like that odd guy in his trench coat sitting on the bench every day, watching.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

I think it's more that I gave Google the benefit of the doubt. The ability to drop a few hundred thousand phones carry Google advertising onto the mobile market, with voice/data priced much lower than the entrenched wireless companies offer.

Think what you will about Google, such a scenario could have created an amazing shift in the market.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

So could free, unlimited service delivered by flying monkeys. Which has about the same probability of happening.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

David Utter

@insightbb.com

said by RadioDoc:

So could free, unlimited service delivered by flying monkeys. Which has about the same probability of happening.
So that's how Google plans to deliver wi-fi without interfering with TV or wireless mikes! Cool! Good catch RadioDoc.