dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Good article
This is a sub-selection from Thanks Karl.

David Utter to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode

Not everyone, Karl

said by Karl Bode:

quote:
a lot of the press swallows it whole without a single critical thought.
All of the press.
Not all of the press:
»www.webpronews.com/topne ··· se-loses

You wrote it far better than I did, but not everybody saw this as some kind of Google victory for the ages.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

"Only the prospect of Google or a similarly-minded company winning the spectrum excited us. Imagine if Google's nascent Android mobile platform would have arrived at one of the big Asian manufacturing firms with specs for a 700MHz antenna in place."

Well, you weren't giggling and grinning that Google had somehow fooled the big guys into their tent but are still giving them a pass on intent.

As Karl put it much more generally, Google is an advertising company. The only interest they had in this auction was to make sure their ad model was not totally locked out of whatever "new" services climb from the swamp. You're still talking like they are some benevolent rich uncle making sure the bullies don't take over the playground. In reality they are more like that odd guy in his trench coat sitting on the bench every day, watching.

David Utter

Anon

I think it's more that I gave Google the benefit of the doubt. The ability to drop a few hundred thousand phones carry Google advertising onto the mobile market, with voice/data priced much lower than the entrenched wireless companies offer.

Think what you will about Google, such a scenario could have created an amazing shift in the market.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

So could free, unlimited service delivered by flying monkeys. Which has about the same probability of happening.

David Utter
@insightbb.com

David Utter

Anon

said by RadioDoc:

So could free, unlimited service delivered by flying monkeys. Which has about the same probability of happening.
So that's how Google plans to deliver wi-fi without interfering with TV or wireless mikes! Cool! Good catch RadioDoc.
« Good article
This is a sub-selection from Thanks Karl.