Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to hottboiinnc

Re: teksavvy

Because it's not reselling. Under the CRTC's model, Bell is used for the coppper, the DSLAM (what your DSL modem talks to), and the ATM network to get you to your ISP. From there, you're on your own ISP's network, using their upstream providers and peers. Some ISPs colocate their own DSLAMs in COs, in which case they're only using the dumb copper.

This is why they're called wholesellers and not resellers; they're relying on Bell for the last mile, but using their own networks for actual internet connectivity. The result is TekSavvy can sell 200GB/mth for $30/mth while Bell charges something like $42 (last I checked) for 30GB/mth.

Now, TekSavvy themselves have many resellers, and I don't understand why somebody would want to go with one of them; they really are just resellers. Might as well go with TekSavvy directly.

Xanet

@teksavvy.com
"TekSavvy themselves have many resellers, and I don't understand why somebody would want to go with one of them;"

Because my clients trust me and appreciate the services that I provide. They also appreciate the fact that I've introduced them to the great service and cost savings that TekSavvy offers and want me to be paid for my efforts... and so does TekSavvy.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz
Are the lines from the wholesalers BC circuit or packet switched?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
Telus has a packet-switched network, but it doesn't matter; DSL works directly over the raw copper wire. From there, it's just a question of how it's backhauled to the ISP's PoP. I believe Bell uses L2TP over ATM.