uniqs
share rss forum feed

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Thane_Bitter

Re: teksavvy

why use ISP email? why use their webspace? most people (especially on here just bitch about ISP email anyway). Why not just get a domain and have it hosted at Gmail Apps.

Just because Roger's has outsourced their email too; to Yahoo!. It's cheaper to outsource something than it is to do something else. But as far as Tech Support why use it if your line works fine? No need to use it.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by hottboiinnc:

Just because Roger's has outsourced their email too; to Yahoo!. It's cheaper to outsource something than it is to do something else. But as far as Tech Support why use it if your line works fine? No need to use it.
Except that when I need to use tech support, for instance when my line is down or I am having problems with email I would like to get good support, so that if it's an issue with my ISP it doesn't take 20 calls to figure it out!

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

2 edits

said by mlerner:

said by hottboiinnc:

Except that when I need to use tech support, for instance when my line is down or I am having problems with email I would like to get good support, so that if it's an issue with my ISP it doesn't take 20 calls to figure it out!
What is this good support you speak of? I know of very few ISP's who actually assist their customers well. In fact, I worked technical support for 2 different ISP's and nine times out of ten we're told to send them to a third-party such as Microsoft or Eudora etc. It's very rare that an ISP will admit to having difficulties with their mail servers, and even MORE rare for them to actually fix any issues with their mail servers.
--
Weeeeeee

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

You're right, it is very rare. That's why TekSavvy has such a loyal following. Their support is excellent, you talk to people that know what they're doing and aren't reading from a script. They also admit when they're having problems and say what the problem is and how long till its resolved.

Em Adespoton

@allstream.net

If you're tech savvy yourself, just run a traceroute to figure out where your connection stops, then run a traceroute from the outside (via a friendly wireless access point or something) to see where the problem is from the outside. Then call tech support with these two IP addresses and any telltale information their reverse DNS lookup gives you, and tell the person on the other end that you've noticed network issues between the two points and would like to talk to someone knowledgeable regarding their current network issues.

Using this trick always gets me escalated within minutes to someone who actually knows what they're talking about -- they often think I'm a wholesaler who somehow called in on the wrong line. Generally the answers are something along the line of "Bob currently has router X offline in building Y -- the failover to carrier X's network doesn't seem to be kicking in. When Bill gets there with the new hardware (should be an hour or so), we'll have more information)."

Sure beats "Try restarting your computer again while closing one eye and kissing your modem" that you get at the lower levels.

hypatia

@teksavvy.com

@Em Adespoton

that's the beautiful thing about teksavvy - you don't need to get escalated, because their first-tier techs are actually clueful.

TopSpeed6

join:2002-06-26
Gatineau, QC
reply to hottboiinnc

You need to also consider that under the U.S. Patriot Act, the government can intercept or view any email or electronic content stored in or transiting by the U.S.A. even if it belongs to a foreign citizen. Since Hotmail and Yahoo are in the U.S., the Patriot Act will apply even if you connect from Canada.
If I was Canadian, I'd stick with a Canadian ISP which stored my emails in Canada.