All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NiGHTS
join:2008-03-23

2 edits

NiGHTS to Bee Beep

to Bee Beep

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

I'm trying to download CBC's "Canada's Next Great Prime Minister" and getting throttled @50K in Sheppard & Kennedy. I have the Premium package.

I'm afraid to use VPN wouldn't be a solution. Bell, like Rogers will just throttle encrypted traffic.

Maybe this is all some bad mistake, but that is doubtful. We will find out tomorrow.

The only options may be:

1) Some action by a government organization CRTC, Competition Bureau, etc. I'm afraid the CRTC may be clueless. If the CRTC wants to exist, they need to become relevant, and stop this anti-competitive behavior.

2) Net Neutrality Legislation. This may come into fruition in the USA, as Obama is a big proponent of Net Neutrality. If he wins, and passes legislation, hopefully Canada would follow. Unfortunately Canadian politicians probably won't lead in this area, they are really out of touch. Green party is the only party for Net Neutrality.

3) Unfortunately until 1 or 2 happens maybe the independent ISP's can get together and install their own DSLAM's, like Primus did.
Expand your moderator at work

toned down
@mc.videotron.ca

toned down to NiGHTS

Anon

to NiGHTS

Re: Teksavvy's throttling now? Just a vent, nothing is needed.

The mods didn't seem to like my little play on Bell... So guess I'll tone it down a bit....
said by NiGHTS:

I'm trying to download CBC's "Canada's Next Great Prime Minister" and getting throttled
Canadian Content can only be downloaded at full speed outside Quebec & Ontario.

Those in iceland, North Korea, or europe however can have unfettered access to Canadian content.

hope this was toned down enough for their liking

Gokuu
join:2001-08-27

Gokuu to NiGHTS

to NiGHTS

Try other torrents

Try some different torrents with a lot of seeders and report back.
said by NiGHTS:

I'm trying to download CBC's "Canada's Next Great Prime Minister" and getting throttled @50K in Sheppard & Kennedy. I have the Premium package.

NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Actually looking at it closer, it is actually capped at 30kBps. This downloading both the CBC show and Fedora-8-Live-i686. This is unencrypted.

At the moment I can get around this by using encryption, but I wonder how long before Bell starts throttling encrypted traffic.

My client is Azureus.

Gokuu
join:2001-08-27

Gokuu

Give us your location/area

Provide us with info or update the google map.

Thanks.
said by NiGHTS:

Actually looking at it closer, it is actually capped at 30kBps. This downloading both the CBC show and Fedora-8-Live-i686. This is unencrypted.

At the moment I can get around this by using encryption, but I wonder how long before Bell starts throttling encrypted traffic.

My client is Azureus.
NiGHTS

NiGHTS

I have added my location to the Map.
gord27
join:2005-05-01
Mississauga, ON

gord27 to NiGHTS

to NiGHTS

Re: Try other torrents

said by NiGHTS:

My client is Azureus.
encryption in utorrent works fine for me as well. i wonder why encryption works for us and not for most other people. i'm connected to a co vs a remote if that makes any difference.