Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

JGROCKY

Premium Member

Update on throttling issue...

Ok... Here's the deal...

They're now openly acknowledging that they are rolling out a full throttling process. They plan to have things fully throttled by April 7th. All BT and P2P traffic will be affected.

They claim they are allowed to do so according to their Terms and Services under the Fair Usage Policy in the tariffed contracts... We'll be looking into this shortly.

The meeting was with Sales and Product Management. They will be preparing a formal letter before end of week.

In the meantime, we (many other ISPs) are going to prepare as well... I guess the high road is the path taken in this case.

Spread the word one and all as this topic needs to reach every level possible... There's now officially an issue and action must be taken by all if we're to rectify things...

anonguy
@teksavvy.com

anonguy

Anon

so JUST bt and p2p traffic will be affected?
Expand your moderator at work

Gokuu
join:2001-08-27

Gokuu to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY

Re: Update on throttling issue...

This thread should be locked. Mods..you there?
aver
join:2007-12-03
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

aver to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
Gotta love that we all leave Bell to send a message and now they screw us again.. I cannot even begin to comprehend how Bell feels they are justified. It may not have been the objective but Bit Torrent and P2P are integral parts of the internet today and no amount of throttling is ever going to change that. Do these companies (Bell, Rogers, Comcast, etc) not realize that they are fighting a losing battle?

I'm glad to see that profits still remain the top priority over any quality of service for these huge corporations.

Edit: Posted on Reddit
»reddit.com/info/6dcfz/comments/

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash to Gokuu

Premium Member

to Gokuu
said by Gokuu:

This thread should be locked. Mods..you there?
Why? R0cky started it.

renton
Come On You Spurs
Premium Member
join:2002-01-05
Toronto, ON

renton to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY
Thanks for the update Rocky!

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Well, Satellite TV with Bell just cancelled. As soon as I can find a way to get some sort of landline phone without paying the Bell tax, then that too goes.

let's hurt them where it count.
midnighter
join:2007-09-22
Etobicoke, ON

midnighter to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
Thanks for the update Rocky. Let us know how we can help. We are a small but vocal group and our voices with your lawyers could do some serious damage to the Bell image. Please keep us informed on how things will be proceeding from here on. I will be keeping my TSI account.

VoIPDude
join:2008-01-21
Montreal, QC

VoIPDude to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
We need to spread the word on this... and quickly.

Digg this story: »digg.com/tech_news/Major ··· r_action
newSymp
join:2003-11-06

newSymp to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
So under their Terms and Services under the Fair Usage Policy in the tariffed contracts they claim that they can do this? all this time and now they decide to do it?

Are these contracts available on the net, they should be there is not much information on it just rules and terms i am sure the contract doesn't say dont share it with others or let others read it. Mind posting a copy? or parts of it.

There might be some lawyers on these threads or people related to some that wouldn't mind a stab at it.

I dont believe for a second that they have such authority though to do that to others peoples bandwitdh. Sounds very fishy to me and a lot of other people.

The fillings should be implemented that these proceedings took without notice, and started the implemantation to its wholesellers without notification. This at hand might be a violation, in the aspect that if they did this over the holiday weekend, then they had enough time to send out notification to their wholesellers / resellers / people that lease the lines etc . They dont have to notify the user ( us ) but they should OF notified the buyers / etc.
Chaos_Armed
join:2008-02-12
Ajax, ON

Chaos_Armed to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
That is ridiculous. I'm so glad I purchased Teksavvy, I plan on cancelling Bell, maybe they will put me on interleave again like they did when I purchased Teksavvy. I need to convince my parents that Bell Satellite and Home Phone need to go, but it will take some convincing. I honestly cannot see any good in people that just decide to abuse their power the way Bell does. I'll be sure to spread the word.

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook to JGROCKY

MVM

to JGROCKY
said by JGROCKY:

They claim they are allowed to do so according to their Terms and Services under the Fair Usage Policy in the tariffed contracts... We'll be looking into this shortly.
Thanks for the update Rocky. Bell's position sucks, although that is hardly unexpected.

Something to look at is whether Bell is in breach of contract. Presumably they are obligated to provide TSI (and the other ISPs) access to your clients via Bell's existing POTS infrastructure. It seems to me that by throttling they are interfering with this access and thus may be in breach of contract.
newSymp

newSymp to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
No matter how many links we post.

No matter what we say, NO one but maybe 10-15 people will do anything.

no one right does what they say

Someone send this to michealgiest as well. i can't access his page?

this is just ridiculous. rthey think P2p and bittorent is all illegal, but they are showing how much legal stuff is on it. even cbc right?

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to Chaos_Armed

Premium Member

to Chaos_Armed
Well I think what needs to happen is for all of this to go in one thread. We now have at least 10 threads about the same topic.

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

AMailer to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
So, the question is: What are the chances of this throttle getting removed? Slim to none?
newSymp

newSymp

post some contracts!

DrZEUS
join:2004-01-13
Mississauga, ON

DrZEUS to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
oh well it was fun while it lasted...this is going to be ugly!

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY
STONE THEM!.. err, wrong thread.
GoogleFreak
join:2008-03-25
Etobicoke, ON

GoogleFreak to AMailer

to AMailer
I highly doubt that throttling will be removed in the next few months unless there is a court order or some kind of government agency involved. Obviously Bell people aren't stupid I am sure they are well planned for this. If this is what they want we should get all dsl users together, not just Teksavvy.
papaskitch
join:2007-02-10
Woodbridge, ON

2 edits

papaskitch to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
It couldn't hurt to contact your MP and ask them where they stand on Net Neutrality. Make sure they know that this is an issue they need to have a position on when the next election comes along.
ftp1020
join:2007-01-30
Canada

ftp1020 to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
So much for the 'play nice with Bell' strategy. Now that Bell sees Teksavvy (et al) as an actual competitor, there will be no high road. There never is when profits come into the picture.

Strength in numbers, Rocky. If your independent ISP assocation was an afternoon coffee klatsch before, it needs to grow some teeth now. I'd suggest that the first legal route is that the ILEC has no right to discriminate other people's (and companies') net traffic. Another would be to buy a few shares of BCE and create commotions at shareholder's meetings, and make the teachers aware that they are buying into the receiving end of an open-ended (class-action?) lawsuit.
Expand your moderator at work
midnighter
join:2007-09-22
Etobicoke, ON

midnighter to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY

Every major technology that got released got monopolized by a few firms before the Government got involved to make it fair for the consumer. Without the Gov'ts help on this, Bell will not budge. We need to somehow make the Canadian govt care about their consumers. If the CRTC is not responsible for Bandwidth, then who is. Almost every Canadian citizen has internet now and I find it amazing that there isn't an entity that protects the avg. Canadian internet user.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
I don't buy that it's just BT and P2P affected.... VoIP is also an issue, as I notice around the same time (4pm to 2am) my VoIP acts up..

This is a direct anti-competitive move. I've already filed complaints with the CRTC and Competition bureau.

The issue is, who you going to run to.. This basically has made EVERY provider in Ontario and Quebec Throttled!

SHAME ON Bell. My condo was to move to Expressvu and I'm thinking maybe I just might refuse access to them. (I don't watch much tv anyhow)

Gokuu
join:2001-08-27

Gokuu to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY

What timing!

Gotta love the timing. Just as Bell comes out with throttling across the board, the CBC begins to move forward with P2P distribution.

Are you listening CRTC!?!?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to koreyb

MVM

to koreyb

They throttle everything (whole connection) if they detect BT/P2P. They're also apparently misdetecting other stuff and throttling based on that. Are you doing anything else with your connection when your VoIP acts up?

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

1 edit

AMailer to GoogleFreak

to GoogleFreak
If every one of their resellers 'put their foot down (if they dare)' don't they HAVE to do something - or they should for the good of themselves (since thats what they only care about)
newSymp

newSymp to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
i'd Actually love to see portions of the contracts etc

lets see what is going on, if we are going to be paying for something we should at least know what is affecting us
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

koreyb to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

They throttle everything (whole connection) if they detect BT/P2P. They're also apparently misdetecting other stuff and throttling based on that. Are you doing anything else with your connection when your VoIP acts up?
Nope... I've even tried just having voip active with all computers off...

The VoIP thing is just to win back phone customers.

Everyone needs to file complaints with the governing bodies..