spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thejad
join:2008-03-21
North York, ON

thejad

Free Trial

I was curious, what is the turn around time on getting the information back on the 1 month free trial? I submitted the information through the link early last week, and currently haven't had any response. I also PM'd Acanac, with no response as of yet.

Thanks
thelurker
join:2006-03-24
North York, ON

thelurker

thejad, might have something to do with the fact that Bell has pretty much declared war on all 3rd ISPs... I would imagine that Paul (aka Acanac Inc) is currently in the process of mobilizing with the other 3rd ISP reps... be patient, he'll come through
alanosr4me
join:2008-02-23

alanosr4me

I finally got my free account. Seems to work ok but dont expect to see the blazing speeds promised unless you a) already have a fast profile on your current account or b)sign up for a full account. Just a heads up.

I am also considering doing the year but i am "concerned". If a company has to make fake forum accounts in order to boost their reputation, it can't be a good sign. (and yes I am 99.9% positive that Farshid is an Acanac employee) I think I'll give it a shot anyhow. Whether things go well or poorly, I'll make sure to let everyone I can know about it.
thelurker
North York, ON

thelurker

hahahah I'm so glad that people think I have this many jobs
VanDivX
join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON

2 edits

VanDivX to alanosr4me

to alanosr4me
said by alanosr4me:

I finally got my free account. Seems to work ok but dont expect to see the blazing speeds promised unless you a) already have a fast profile on your current account or b)sign up for a full account. Just a heads up.
that would be silly to limit trial acct in speed when you trying to entice pple in

have been wondering if the business acct with acanac buys one anything appart from the static ips, I mean in terms of more guranteed connection which is more likely to deliver the speed it is supposed to have or does one get hung on the same modems same as everybody on home acct

I always wanted to have more public IPs than typical one but three in total would be enough, six is overkill as I wouldn't have use for most of them

I am wating to have free trial acct, I want to dump bell canada completely incl the phone service but after the decades with them it would nice to have a try before burning bridges completely as I intend to do (its because of the caps, I don't generate too big traffic but here and there I go a bit over and by charging me extra they are saying I was not worth the business for them all these years and I take the message and relieve them of my business I had with them)

vanDivX

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Acanac does not limit the trial account speed, but if the client is set on a 1Mbps profile our PPPOE user account will not increase the speeds. The limition here is not Acanac, but the line it's self. When you become a client we can always try to increase your speeds by asking Bell to raise your profile.
thelurker
North York, ON

thelurker to VanDivX

to VanDivX
And just to add to what was just said, the only reason why your profile would be lowered (in any situation) would be because of Bell... Acanac has nothing to gain from lowering its users profiles, as they pay the same amount to Bell regardless of the profile speed of their customers...
VanDivX
Toronto, ON

1 edit

VanDivX to Canaca

to Canaca
thank you for the trial acct details, I connected this weekend no problems, however I may have some DNS issue on your connection - many websites become unreachable when I log into the free trial, possibly one third or half of them, the browser is not even trying to load them but loads 404 page right away, when I log back into Sympatico acct I can load all websites no problem

I went into acct login and and besides login details (username/pass) I also entered in primary and secondary DNS servers (normally they would be assigned automatically and I suppose they were but DNS wasn't working right) - because I didn't know which DNS servers Acanac uses, I found myself some public OpenDNS servers on internet and used those and it worked, I could connect even to those websites that previously didn't work, when checking later on which DNS serves are actually used, I found I was automatically assigned DNS 1&2 from Acanac (67.55.0.11 & 66.49.220.95) and the third DNS was OpenDNS server, one of those I entered in myself (208.67.222.222)

however after some time it all reverted and again websites became inaccessible and when I connected back to Sympatico it was OK again, possibly something fishy with your DNS servers perhaps?

anyone out there with such problems?

vanDivX
VanDivX

4 edits

VanDivX

well, I don't know anymore what to think, five minutes ago I couldn't load dslr forums at all incl this my post here, now I can, if I open up google in IE7 some of those links you see there at the top like 'groups' or 'documents' or 'photos' simply wouldn't load, now they all do without myself doing anything except that I have been copying and pasting links btw firefox and IE to see if its browser dependent or not (seems like it is not) and also btw two computers to see if its computer dependent behaviour (doesn't seem to but with things changing as they do I can't be sure of anything anymore), I find this bizare and its hard to keep my head on my very own shoulders, this is like nightmare Acanac, I don't see how the fault is on my LAN and on my PCs

I would hate to fault your service but something is not right here

all I can think of is that I log to Acanac free trial and it works except I may run into this flaky DNS problems (or what seem very much like that) and it makes me not trust my browser, I don't know when it will fail me next, never seen anything like that when logged to sympatico, do DNS servers somehow have to settle in or what

right now when these forums work and I posted this, I tried to reload this page »www.clarkconnect.com/dow ··· isos.php and it comes up blank without even trying to reload much (I use their gateway firewall but so far don't have reason to suspect it)
what's funny is that this webpage won't load in firefox or IE on this PC but will load just fine on another one, before when I tested the google links, they were inaccessible in the same way on both PCs, things change on me that I must say I can't make head or tail of it, something very rotten here.dslrepr

vanDivX

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

I know for the last week or so dslreports.com has been under a DOS attack. I don't know if your problems are related to this. As for this service we have not encountered any problems over the last while. You can also ask current clients in our own forums located at »community.acanac.com/acanac/
VanDivX
Toronto, ON

VanDivX

I took a break and also to see if it is ISP dependent, so far it seems so

tonight or more likely tomorrow I will try again, I use ClarkConnect gateway and can either connect in with DNS servers automatically assigned or I can manually add them, it didn't make any difference btw the two and it is most certainly trouble with DNS, there is no logic to it which websites can't be loaded but they seem to be more or less the same ones as far as I can tell

also it is abrupt refusal to load site - no trying to load them - which points very strongly to DNS problem

most bedeviling is that situation can change in ten minutes either way, sites can be loaded but later on they can't anymore and then they can again

thx for response, I am not trowing towel in yet
VanDivX

2 edits

VanDivX

I give up, DNS problems persist even when I switch to another router and power down the modem (bridged Speedstream 5200) before connecting (it might be keyed somehow to Sympatico's modems connection), loading up of websites fluctuates on and off with some always loading and some loading for a while and then not again, its got nothing to do with some DOS attacks, apparently you won't be able to help and I don't know anymore what to do with this

not sure still if the 'trial mode' might be responsible or using Bell supplied equipment on Acanac servers, if once I would get the modem from Acanac (following subscription) it would be different, I just don't know, my experience doesn't reach that far even if I am fairly knowledgable in networking (like I know what DNS is)

BTW for how long is the trial login good for?
thelurker
North York, ON

thelurker

VanDivX, I believe 30 days

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

Farshid420 is correct. It will last for 30 days.

Best Regards,
Paul
»www.acanac.ca
VanDivX
Toronto, ON

1 edit

VanDivX

what kind of modem does Acanac sell and or recommend, I suppose it shouldn't make difference as far as my troubles go, still that's only thing I can think of that might make a difference

most damnable thing is that as soon as I loging back to sympatico the DNS issue goes away as if by magic and returns immediately as I loging to Acanac (while letting DNS setting to automatic in both cases - but it doesn't improve anything if I choose my own DNS servers with Acanac)

bottom line is I think, perhaps I got some rotten free trial login details if that is at all possible, could I get another set? I hardly used the free trial I got anyway because in half hour I always switched back to Bell, its not like I ask for some free ride
VanDivX

2 edits

VanDivX

seems after all there are some DNS issues @ Acanac

»community.acanac.com/aca ··· p?t=5805
thelurker
North York, ON

thelurker

VanDivX, you're right that there were DNS problems a few days back, and a thread was started regarding those issues in the Canadian Broadband section as well, but I don't think that those probs are the same as the ones that you've been having, as you've been having issues since April 20th. I wish I could help you further, but I can't seem to figure out what might be wrong... what you could do is test using the DNS servers at OpenDNS.org instead and see if you see any differnce when using the Acanac connection.

Hope that helps :P

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

The DNS issues were resolved over the weekend. We are currently getting an A+ ratting at DNSstuff. My feeling is that it's an MTU setting. Your Sympatico modem might not be able to support our higher or lower MTU settings. Please login to your modem and post your MTU stats.

Best Regards
Paul
»www.acanac.ca
VanDivX
Toronto, ON

3 edits

VanDivX

I believe I solved my problem (didn't test it yet but I am sure that will be it) and wonder why somebody didn't point it out already

I was reading up on clarkconnect forum (I use their router/firewall) about DNS issues hoping to come across some ideas and somebody over there mentioned -> "all my lan comps point to cc for dns" and that's when I saw the light, that must be it, all my PCs on LAN are on static IPs and their DNS server's entries (in TCP/IP protocol setting) point to Bell's servers DOH

if PC is given static IP, one has to enter DNS servers of course and I remember years back I set it to Bell's DNS servers because setting it to my firewall/gateway didn't work (although it should with CC since it provides DNS server but back then I had normal home router and those don't have them)

I didn't try this solution yet but I am fairly sure that will be it, next time chalk this one up as a querry to ask people who have DNS troubles (btw I need static IPs because I access PCs on my lan remotely, I realize not that many folks do that and run on DHCP and then this problem doesn't arise)

Edit: tested and proved I was right about it, case closed