Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

TCP Resets a Red Herring?

This makes me wonder ... there was a huge outcry about disconnecting and throttling the heavy users, so I wonder if the Sandvine fiasco was a red herring ... the lesser of two evils so to speak.

Now, instead of everyone yelling about the bandwidth hogs, they've accepted that the bandwidth hogs will be throttled, but everyone else won't be. The problem is, who determines what a bandwidth hog is or what is deemed excessive usage?

Very clever ... or as Monte Burns would say, "Excellent!"

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by Matt3:

Now, instead of everyone yelling about the bandwidth hogs, they've accepted that the bandwidth hogs will be throttled, but everyone else won't be. The problem is, who determines what a bandwidth hog is or what is deemed excessive usage?

Very clever ... or as Monte Burns would say, "Excellent!"

Yeah, let's analyze this.

1. BitTorrent, Inc., who is not a party to the FCC complaint or rule-making petition, has "made a deal" with Comcast, who has never told a straight fact twice.

2. Comcast and BitTorrent both stipulate that
a. BitTorrent is the most popular P2P protocol, and
b. that it is the heaviest user of bandwidth.

3. Comcast will change its discrimination target from
a. the BitTorrent protocol, to
b. BitTorrent's users

4. Representing BitTorrent in these negotiations was Jessica "Is Chicken of the Sea chicken or tuna?" Simpson.

Actually, I'm more optimistic than that -- but I have learned that Ronald Reagan's "Trust but Verify" policy was a good one.