how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

"Protocol Agnostic" means EVERYTHING

I must be reading this differently from everybody else. By saying "protocol agnostic", that means they will target ALL types of traffic, not just BT!

I wouldn't be congratulating them just yet.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 edit

said by priller:

I must be reading this differently from everybody else. By saying "protocol agnostic", that means they will target ALL types of traffic, not just BT!

I wouldn't be congratulating them just yet.
Uhm... with rolling out Blast to many markets, then as you elude to targeting all traffic/protocols... that would be a PR nighmare!

"Here! Here's 16mbps down and 2mbps up for your things at break-neck speeds!"
"But, we are going to throttle all of it back to nothing... so you don't get shit after all!"

Yeah, that'll fly!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL
reply to priller

That terminology raises an uncertain eyebrow on me also. Can we say 'For sure...more latency for Wider, Deeper & Broader Packet Inspection?'
--
Browse A lot - Sign In Little - Post Even Less

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
japan
kudos:2
reply to priller

said by priller:

By saying "protocol agnostic", that means they will target ALL types of traffic, not just BT!
Yes, based on this press release, Comcast users can expect to see a wider swath of traffic shaping. I'm sure everyone will be happy now that Comcast won't be picking on the innocent P2P protocols...

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09

said by openbox9:

said by priller:

By saying "protocol agnostic", that means they will target ALL types of traffic, not just BT!
Yes, based on this press release, Comcast users can expect to see a wider swath of traffic shaping. I'm sure everyone will be happy now that Comcast won't be picking on the innocent P2P protocols...
It actually IS a good thing. When they start slowing down ALL traffic, more folks than just the P2P users will start bitching. Hence more calls for network neutrality.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
japan
kudos:2

I doubt that. How will screwing with a majority of people's "Internet experience" drive them to ask for network neutrality? If anything, I would think that this will drive a majority of people to say "f@*% the hogs, fix my connection" and you'll have a majority of customers asking for P2P throttling.