share rss forum feed

ArgyleDSL
Cute and Cuddly
Premium
join:2002-07-04
Flushing, NY

Bereavement policies at companies

Hi all,

Trying to do a survey to see what companies have in regard to bereavement policies.

Specifically

1) How many days can you take off?
2) Does the policy cover immediate family or extended family (such as grandparents)

If you post, can you state if
A) your company is
- less than 30 employees,
- 31 - 99
- more than 100
B) What field is company in?

I appreciate responses.
--
My heart is old, it holds my memories, my body burns a gemlike flame. Somewhere between the soul and soft machine, is where I find myself again

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

1 recommendation

--We get a maximum of three paid days, four if the funeral is more than 150 miles away. The clock starts on the next full day after death, so if your family member passes on a Friday, you would really only be entitled to take Monday off since two of the three days hit a weekend. They are flexible on this though and usually give three full paid days anyway.

--Includes death of any immediate family, including grandparents. Also includes step parents/grandparents and parent of child under 18 even if you were never married to them.

--More than 100 employees.

--This provision is part of a union contract but they give it to managers & non-union employees too.

mocycler

reply to ArgyleDSL

An interesting topic, I actually had to look this up since I didn't know offhand.

3 Paid days of bereavement, and up to 2 additional unpaid days of medical leave.

I do however accrue sick days and vacation time which I'm sure I could use if need be.

2) Does the policy cover immediate family or extended family (such as grandparents)

In-laws, stepchildren, step-parents, and grandparents are covered, in addition to any household member.

3) your company is

More than 100 employees.

City Government.

Langning
Premium
join:2003-04-28
Marlborough, MA

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

1) How many days can you take off? 4 paid days for immediate family members. In fact, I was given 4 days when grandma passed away last fall.
2) Does the policy cover immediate family or extended family
My company defines immediate family liberally as anyone who live in the same house plus grandparents too. I can look up the employee handbook tomorrow at work.
A) your company is - more than 100
B) What field is company in? Insurance

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

Social Services in my County:

1. A regularly scheduled employee may be granted up to five days of leave of absence with pay by the Agency/Department Head because of death in the immediate family. An employee shall be allowed to take such leave within a four-week period.

2. For purposes of this subsection, "immediate family" means mother, stepmother, father, stepfather, husband, wife, domestic partner (upon submission of an affidavit as defined in the appendices), son, stepson, daughter, stepdaughter, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, foster parents, foster child, mother-in-law, and father-in-law, or any other person sharing the relationship of in loco parentis; and, when living in the household of the employee, a brother-in-law, sister-in-law.

Entitlement to leave of absence under this subsection shall be only for all hours the employee would have been scheduled to work for those days granted, and shall be in addition to any other entitlement for sick leave, emergency leave, or any other leave.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

FBM

join:2002-07-25
Chicago, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

5 days off for grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, spouse or domestic partner, or sibling; or your spouse's or domestic partner's grandparent, parent, child, grandchild or sibling.

1 day off for non-immediate family member.

More than 100 in the IT industry.

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

3 Non-Paid, may use Vacation/Sick Time, must provide excuse
from Funeral Home.

2) Does the policy cover immediate family or extended family (such as grandparents). Immediate family+Grandparents.

Company employes greater than 100 people. Company is in Retail Sales--Specifically I'm in the Logistics Portion of the company.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

said by ArgyleDSL:

A maximum 5 paid bereavement days. I believe that might be "per death", but I've never asked that morbid question, nor have I ever had the need to, luckily.

said by ArgyleDSL:

Immediate family, including grandparents. Does not include aunts, uncles, cousins. Only parent, sibling, or grandparent. I believe there is a lower limit (2 or 3 days) for the death of an extended family member, but I'd have to find the employee handbook for that.

Company is greater than 100 employees (6,000 +). The field is Healthcare.

Before people think those benefits might be excessive, we don't get any sick time here. You get sick with the flu and need to stay home 3-5 days?...comes out of your vacation time.
--
And so castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Chuck22
Premium
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

I'm retired now, but before my retirement, company I worked for had a policy of 1/2 day paid (basically funeral time only) for extended family, or one day paid for immediate family (but could take two days with only one being paid).
Company size was 31-99 category, field was custom manufacturing.

ArgyleDSL
Cute and Cuddly
Premium
join:2002-07-04
Flushing, NY
reply to ArgyleDSL

Thanks to all for responses. Follow up/Additional question:

If you do take the days off, does your company require proof and if so, what (Death Certificate)?
--
My heart is old, it holds my memories, my body burns a gemlike flame. Somewhere between the soul and soft machine, is where I find myself again

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I never asked for verification of deaths when my staff asked for bereavement. I suppose I would have or could have if anyone had their mother pass twice.

I've taken bereavement leave and was never asked for verification of the death.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

said by My Companies HR Site :

Applies to
This policy applies to you if you are:
full-time or part-time working 20+ hours per week

Taking time off
To request bereavement leave, contact: your manager

You don't need any forms to take bereavement leave.

You can take up to three days for:
a death of an immediate family member which is defined as: a spouse, parent, step-parent, child, step-child, sibling, step-sibling, grandparents, step-grandparents, grandchildren, step-grandchildren and those of your spouse

Impact on pay

You will receive 100% of your base pay when you use bereavement leave.

You will receive your shift differential when you use bereavement leave.

Your time off is recorded as "other pay" on the intranet timesheet. Pay exceptions

Returning to work
You will be expected to return to work following three consecutive days of absence. Additional questions should be directed to your manager.
A)More than 100
B)Financial (Midwest Bank)
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

AtlGuy

join:2000-10-17
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

Up to 3 days.
According to the company handbook: spouse, children, parents (step parents & parent in-laws included), brother/sister, grandparents, grandchildren.

A) your company is
More than 100
Healthcare - specifically medical transcription/electronic document delivery.

To answer your follow-up question, the handbook says a manager can ask for documentation to validate the time off. I've never heard of anyone being asked though.

seqrets
Premium
join:2001-05-03
Nederland, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

Three days, immediate family.

Flint Hills Resources (Koch Ind.)

AricBrown

join:2002-12-11
Amarillo, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

3 days and 1 day
Immediate family (including in laws and grandparents) 3 days
Non-immediate family (uncles, aunts..etc) 1 day

A) your company is
- less than 30 employees,
- 31 - 99
- more than 100 ----------over 100k
Protein (Technically Meat)

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

Well at my present job I can take three days paid for Spouse, Parent(in-law), Grand-Parent(in-law), Sibling, or child, previous job was the same; the job before that, it included Aunts and Uncles(in-laws) and they were very liberal and un-officially included "partner's" family also.
--
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to ArgyleDSL

3-5 days, based on distance to funeral
yes extended is covered
more than 100 employees
telecommunications

no "proof" required