Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rblomeyer

join:2007-08-30
Lisle, IL

Waiting with "baited breath" in Lisle for improved QOS

Friends:

I've been quick to grumble and whine about my AT&T DSL when it was occasionally unreliable. It's only fair I should report preliminary evidence; possibly foreshadowing positive developments.

Yesterday, an AT&T field rep knocked on my door. I answered, we talked, and this is what I learned.

AT&T is working on "cleaning the lines" in my subdivision, to enable providing television programming as a service option to Dupage county IL subscribers.

I probed to find out more about what this means. AT&T's underground wiring follows an "abatement" under the back of my lot and I was curious about what it might mean for the roots of nearby trees.

He admitted the copper pairs carrying the signal now are a Kafka-esque maze of splices and dead ends; resulting from years of unsystematic maintenance on what began as a POTS, analog, copper installation.

He indicated they're pulling new fiber through the underground races to replace the spaghetti/copper (!?!) and assured me that there would soon be an unbroken, un-spliced run between my Telco terminal and the nearest POP, and EVENTUALLY be fiber all the way to my Telco Terminal.

I asked him about digging and he assured me there would be none; only pulling.

I told him about a "cyclonic wind storm" (a year or so ago)back that twisted a half cord of maple (one big piece) from one of my trees & dropped it squarely on top of their distribution box (pole); bending it at a 45 degree angle.

At the time there was no interruption in service & no one was interested in even surveying the scene. I had to remove the limb myself and subsequently attempted to right their distribution box... but it still "lists."

He said he'd take a closer look at it...

I don't have anything substantial to report yet about improved QOS. I can report that it's stopped snowing, the sun is out, and there is an AT&T crew in my back yard, poking around in the distribution box.

Somehow, this all reminds me of Prokiev's "Peter and the Wolf" where the wolf paces round and round the tree, looking up at the cat and bird with "greedy eyes."

If & when there's anything verifiable to report (cat, bird, or evidence of improved QOS), I'll let you all know.

Waiting with baited breath.

BobBl
(This makes me THE HUNGRY WOLF!! LOL!!!!!)

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

said by rblomeyer:

Friends:

I've been quick to grumble and whine about my AT&T DSL when it was occasionally unreliable.
Occasionally or all the time? Anything will occasionally go down or have issues.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

Understood.

My "package" nominally has 512 up and 3 mb down. Actual performance norms have been more like 450kb/2200mb. That's acceptable.

I've complained in this forum when tests showed results consistently below 150kb up and less than 500 kb down.

I haven't generally complained here publicly when there have been fluctuations lasting less than 4-5 days.

When things have gotten and stayed "bad," I've said something about it here and provided data for people to examine to verify I'm not a crank or a cyber-hypochondriac.

My postings are still available in this forum for anyone to read. Decide for yourself.

BobBl

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to rblomeyer

I have the same package.

--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

Here's mine from Argonne's ANL server. I trust them more.
----------------------------------

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.5.1
click START to begin
Connected to: miranda.ctd.anl.gov -- Using IPv4 address
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 416.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 127.01kb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem
[S2C]: Packet queuing detected
------------------

That's typical for mine.

BobBl

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

said by rblomeyer:

I take all online speed tests with a grain of salt.
--

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to rblomeyer

It's "bated".

said by Merriam-Webster :

Main Entry:
bate
Pronunciation:
\bt\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
bat·ed; bat·ing
Etymology:
Middle English, short for abaten to abate
Date:
14th century

transitive verb
1: to reduce the force or intensity of : restrain < with bated breath >
2: to take away : deduct
3 archaic : to lower especially in amount or estimation
4 archaic : bluntintransitive verbobsolete : diminish, decrease

Unless your mean your breath smells of small fish or worms.

--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

Not me. It's AT&T that's been wormy.

As I began with a conceptual metaphor using the Wolf from "Peter and the Wolf," it almost works as a pun. Maybe you're being too literal minded.

In defense of the AT&T moles who were in my back yard this AM, it's now graced by a shiny new distribution box. Performance is about the same:
--------------------
click START to begin
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 407.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.92Mb/s
--------------

But the new distribution box shines nicely in the afternoon sun.

BobBl

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to rblomeyer

The fiber pull is AT&T getting ready to bring U-Verse in your neighborhood. It will be an offering of IPTV Television, Broadband Internet, and a choice of a POTS or VOIP telephone line. For the time being it will be fiber to within at most 3000 ft of your house, and the rest over copper. I would guess that at some point in the future, it will become fiber all the way to your house, but that could easily be years away.

If you only want the internet portion of U-Verse, that is possible too. The price is the same as the regular Pro Package DSL (or so I have heard), and you get the FULL 3 meg down, and you get 1 meg up. Other tiers of service for the internet are 1.5 down/1 up (express), 6 down/1 up (elite), and 10 down/1.5 up (max). There is no loss of .5 meg down for overhead with U-Verse internet.

After they pull the fiber thru, the next thing you will notice is next to your neighborhood phone cross box, a new tan colored box will be next to it -- called a VRAD, and that is where the Fiber comes to deliver the U-Verse Service that is then connected to your incoming phone line, and then you have it.

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30
reply to rblomeyer

said by rblomeyer:

Friends:
AT&T is working on "cleaning the lines" in my subdivision, to enable providing television programming as a service option to Dupage county IL subscribers.
That "cleaning the lines" is the line conditioning that should have been done with the introduction of DSL service. Someone at at&t has finally figured out that when a tech comes out to condition one pair, he can do the rest of the pairs in that terminal in only a few more minutes. (all the pairs probably have the same bridge taps, loads etc.) They are eliminating the potential for 10 additional dispatches for pairs in the same box.
This may result in improved service for DSL customers whose pairs have never been properly "conditioned". The down side is that litespeed conditioned pairs are permanently assigned and are very difficult to change. When your pair goes BAD, it must be fixed and not just transferred to another good pair. If your pair is a "lemon" it may stay that way for a long time.

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL
reply to ILpt4U

Joe:

Thanks for the useful info. I'll watch for a tan box near the shiny, lt. green "pole" now gracing the back of my lot.

What the AT&T technician told me about a painless "switch-over" (3-28) makes lot more sense now. Still, I'm not inclined to try holding my breath till then.

If and when that happens, I'll know to inquire about U-Verse internet; as opposed to my current DSL package w. 3 Mb down & .5 Kb up (promised but not actual).

If Waterbug is right in the following post, I might never realize improved QOS over the installed DSL pair.

BobBl

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

I just got the same results almost on the test:

click START to begin
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 426.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.81Mb/s

but I'm sync'd at:
Connected at 3008 Kbps (downstream)
512 Kbps (upstream)

meh...grain of salt indeed.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

Meet my son, Connor.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to rblomeyer

said by rblomeyer:

What subdivision would that be?

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL
reply to Waterbug

Waterbug:

You seemingly speak with authority. Are there any circumstances under which AT&T would consider switching my DSL service over to a different pair?

I pay for two POTS lines. Each has two pairs w. inside pairs carrying phone service for both lines. My second phone line is for fax only and isn't used much.

The two numbers have different exchanges & terminate at switches in different locations. I requested AT&T to install my DSL originally on the unused pair for the primary number.

I question whether or not AT&T did much "conditioning" when they originally installed DSL on my primary line. That entire history is documented in posts here; if anyone is interested.

The current DSL performance is better than connecting at 40-45 Kb tops over a modem. But your reference to a "lemon line" is hauntingly familiar.

What (if anything) would persuade AT&T to try switching the DSL connection to the outside pair on "line two" and conditioning that line?

It could precipitate a change for the better, or for the worse. It might go either way.

Here's my most recent test from Argonne's ANL server:
--------------------
click START to begin
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 420.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.94Mb/s
----------------

Honestly, that's the best performance I've seen for a while. Consistently dropping over a Mb downstream seems like a lot to me.

Do I live with the DSL as is? Or, realistically, is there anything AT&T can do to improve my current DSL QOS?

Or... do I watch and wait for that mythical "tan colored box" signaling the advent of U-Verse in my neighborhood?

BobBl

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

Jon:

The Meadows (I) in Lisle.

BobBl

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to rblomeyer

That server is not reliable, even though you might think it would be given it's location. It has never worked right for me in 8 years. What does your modem show for sync rates?

Try testing your speed here: »www.speedtest.net/ . Use the Chicago test (Speakeasy), which you should default to.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to rblomeyer

said by rblomeyer:

Well you should not trust just a speed site. And if anything should try more then on site to see where your speed is at.
--

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

This is for those of you who believe speed testers created, maintained and operated by the providers and telcos are "best" (if not efficacious) performance mesures, check THESE results from Argonne's ANL server:

---------------------------------------------
click START to begin
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 417.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 293.24kb/s
[S2C]: Packet queuing detected
--------------------------------------------
That's THE best downstream speed test I've seen since my AT&T DSL was installed; period!

The last week was apparently without noticable performance inconsistencies. It was "nice."

BobBl

BobBl

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL

Whoever said that? Not really sure what your point is.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

downloadmuchbetter.au.zip 15,360 bytes
Two points:

1. I don't trust performance data as reported by tools provided by either telcos or service providers. I do trust Argonne because they have nothing to gain or lose by biasing their metrics.

I'm not suggesting anything other than that our opinions about which broadband performance metrics are "trustworthy" differ substantially. You have your rationale for your beliefs, and I have mine.

2. When I signed up for AT&T DSL, things worked "right" for about 30 days. The line speed stabilized and "settled in" at a downstream speed of about 2.8 Gbps. Then my neighborhood experienced a 72 hour power outage and when the DSL came back up it's performance was at best "inconsistent."

I'd known about DSL reports for some time. But since I didn't at the time have a DSL, I didn't create an identity or post in the forums. But READING the forums I learned that AT&T "lurk" her and do "damage control" if any customer publicly says too many negative things about their QOS; in ways that can't be dismissed or demeaned.

Hence, I began posting detailed accounts documenting my poor QOS in this forum for all to read. Over time, my "strategy" has either made a difference or the appearance of an AT&T service crew in my back yard, and the recent "independently measured" improvement in my downstream speed was only a coincidence.

My advice to AT&T DSL subscribers is simply this:

High speed internet access is a VERY competitive marketplace. Comcast, AT&T and ALL the major telcos & providers are justifiably sensitive about well documented and articulate public criticism.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR AT&T DSL QUALITY OF SERVICE, YOU PROBABLY DO. In that case, you should start posting "DETAILED" and authoritative accounts describing those problems here and don't let yourself be intimidated, dismissed, or "laughed out of it" by forum readers who may be AT&T employees doing "damage control."

Remember, it's much cheaper for AT&T to discourage complainers than it is do the work needed on their infrastructure to fix most of their inherited network problems.

People DSL subscribers probably don't know the difference between good and bad service, don't know how to document or describe it (one way or the other), or who to report it to if they did.

Most subscribers with poor QOS probably might use the "trouble shooting" tools on the CD AT&T sends with the "self installation" package. Those diagnostic reasings are (in my opinion) probably "biased" (spun) to convince consumers that everything is JUST FINE... when it probably isn't.

That's all about AT&T keeping their customers "pacified," but without investing the big $$'s required to REALLY solve the infrastructure problems they're encountering during the transition between an analog POTS network; with lots of "dirty," spliced, and unterminated copper pairs underground.

I honestly tried calling those "support numbers" before I began posting the detailed public accounts here describing my variable and unreliable QOS. I talked to lots of nice young people in India (outsourced support) who knew considerably less about infrastructure design and troubleshooting network problems than I do myself.

Accounts of some of those useless and even "laughable" interactions were posted here when I first started. My interactions with "outsourced" DSL "technical support" personnel from Bangalore and New Delhi were the precipitating events that caused me to begin posting detailed accounts here.

A quote comes to mind that perfectly fitted my attitude at the time, from the classic cartoon Popeye:

"I'd had all I can stands. And I can't stands no more!"

When I first posting documented complaints here, a few "forum regulars" tried suggesting I didn't know what I was talking about, used humor to blunt my criticisms, and generally used all the rhetorical tricks available in a synchronous forum to intimidate a newby and shut 'em up.

It didn't and won't work with me. I'm still here and STILL POSTIN'! And I'll continue to "be here" until I have the fully reliable and "robust" broadband performance I was implicitly promised when I signed up for DSL with AT&T.

I'm a critic, but I'm also honest and I try to be "fair." It's important to me that I could publicly report (last posting) there was an "apparent" improvement in my QOS since AT&T technicians appeared at my door, and subsequently repaired the "distribution box" "on the back of my property (easement), and probably "cleaned up" the copper pairs inside.

That's done. Thanks AT&T for fixing something that needed to be fixed. I'm even hopeful now that someday in the foreseeable future (before I move or die...) a tan VRAD might appear next to the new, shiny green distribution box.

If and when that ever happens, I'll explore switching over to AT&T's mythical U-Verse. That "6 down/1 up (elite)" service joe_washu described sounds tempting.

Here's a suggestion for AT&T's "marketing people." I currently get all the hi-def TV signals I need off air. The quality of that service is so astoundingly good that I can only think of ONE THING that could possibly swing me to purchase television programming from AT&T, Comcast, or anyone else who is currently in our market.

That would be for AT&T to purchase the syndicated rights to current BBC programming; specifically to Doctor Who (Season 4) and to Torchwood (just finished Season 2).

Yes... I'm a geek who LOVES GOOD SCIFI! (You suspected it anyway, right?)

Both the current (David Tenant) Dr. Who and the Torchwood series is probably the best TV sci-fi television series that's ever been produced in the English language. It is too expensive for PBS to purchase broadcast right till YEARS after episodes are premiered in the UK.

No one in the Chicago market carries either series till years later. But Warner cable in Ohio and some other cable companies in the US DO syndicate this first rate BBC programming after not much more than a weeks delay.

I'm presently going to a "lot of trouble" to obtain copies of Who and Torchwood after they're broadcast in the UK.

If AT&T were to syndicate BBC's current programming and distribute Dr. Who, Torchwood, and other examples of their clearly superior TV programming, I'd happily disconnect my off-air antennas & signal boosters and become an AT&T television programming subscriber.

Don't say ever say rblomeyer hasn't done any favors for AT&T. If you lurkers pass on my suggestion to someone in Marketing, they'll probably end up with a big promotion.

If you do, send me their e-mail address so I can submit an invoice.

I feel better. This was fun! We should do this again sometime!! (unpack & play attachment)

BobBl

psx_defector

join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX
kudos:1

said by rblomeyer:

Blah, Blah, Blah
There is an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation called "The Tapestry" that I quote whenever I see this amount of junk.

"To be blunt, you're not that important."

But please, keep on thinking this way. Maybe my Alcoa stock will increase with all the tin foil you must be buying.

Waterbug

reply to rblomeyer

said by rblomeyer:

I feel better. This was fun! We should do this again sometime!! (unpack & play attachment)
I'd love to, but common sense tells me not to download anything from a stranger who is on a rant.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

Funny think is he won't even go to any other online speed test. He keeps running the same test on the same site but then types the results instead.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to rblomeyer

Fastest download I have seen on Pro.
said by rblomeyer:

Two points:

1. I don't trust performance data as reported by tools provided by either telcos or service providers. I do trust Argonne because they have nothing to gain or lose by biasing their metrics.
Do you have a link to that test? The site is very large, and a brief attempt at navigation drew a blank on speed test.
I'm not suggesting anything other than that our opinions about which broadband performance metrics are "trustworthy" differ substantially. You have your rationale for your beliefs, and I have mine.
I have, on occasion, seen my download run at 309kB/s, which is right about the maximum (in Bytes) for the Pro package (see the screen shot).

I have never had a need to contact AT&T (or, before the name change, SBC) tech support about DSL line issues. The only problems ever had were with the voice line (spilled over to the DSL side).

I did contact SBC Direct once about a speed issue; relied on the SBC speed test to show that my throughput was half, or less than my synch speed. They changed me to a different aggregation router, which did fix the issue.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

said by NormanS:

Do you have a link to that test? The site is very large, and a brief attempt at navigation drew a blank on speed test.
»miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to rblomeyer

You really should just go post in AT&T Direct, and ask somebody to look at your line. Using just speed tests is like trying to diagnose a car engine with just a hammer.

Waterbug

said by Dennis:

Using just speed tests is like trying to diagnose a car engine with just a hammer.
Wrong analogy! In the old days befor onboard computer diagnostics, a hammer was sometimes the only thing that worked.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to rblomeyer

Click for full size
AT&T Speed Test results.
said by rblomeyer:

Here's mine from Argonne's ANL server.
My results from Argonne Laboratry:
quote:
click START to begin
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 373.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.84Mb/s

My results from the Stanford NDT:
quote:
TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.4.12
click START to begin
Connected to: netspeed.stanford.edu -- Using IPv4 address
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 426.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 2.59Mb/s
Information [S2C]: Packet queuing detected

A couple of trace routes:
Tracing route to ndt.anl.gov [146.137.222.101]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     2 ms     1 ms  suzuka.aosake.net [192.168.0.1]
  2     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  adsl-69-110-151-254.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net [69.110.151.254]
  3     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  64.164.107.2
  4     9 ms     8 ms    10 ms  bb2-g3-0.pltnca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.43.56]
  5    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  ex1-p10-0.pxpaca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.190.82]
  6    11 ms    11 ms    10 ms  paix-pa.es.net [198.32.176.145]
  7    12 ms    12 ms    11 ms  sunncr1-paixpart2.es.net [134.55.218.134]
  8    62 ms    62 ms    61 ms  denvcr1-sunncr1.es.net [134.55.220.49]
  9    61 ms    60 ms    61 ms  chiccr1-denvcr1.es.net [134.55.209.46]
 10    60 ms    61 ms    61 ms  anlmr1-ip-chiccr1.es.net [134.55.220.38]
 11    62 ms    61 ms    61 ms  guava-esnet.anchor.anl.gov [192.5.170.77]
 12    62 ms    62 ms    62 ms  fwzv662.net.anl.gov [130.202.222.65]
 13    61 ms    61 ms    60 ms  t2-221v911.net.anl.gov [130.202.212.129]
 14    61 ms    60 ms    61 ms  ndt.anl.gov [146.137.222.101]

Trace complete.

And...
Tracing route to ndt2.stanford.edu [171.66.6.38]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms     2 ms  suzuka.aosake.net [192.168.0.1]
  2     9 ms     9 ms     8 ms  adsl-69-110-151-254.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net [69.110.151.254]
  3     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  76.246.22.129
  4     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  bb2-10g2-0.pltnca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.42.102]
  5    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  ex1-p10-0.pxpaca.sbcglobal.net [151.164.190.82]
  6    10 ms    11 ms    10 ms  po5-3.core01.sjc04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.13.97]
  7    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  te3-2.mpd01.sjc04.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.49]
  8    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  Stanford_University2.demarc.cogentco.com [66.250.7.138]
  9    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  bbrb-isp.Stanford.EDU [171.64.1.155]
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  ndt2.Stanford.EDU [171.66.6.38]

Trace complete.

I don't know if being closer to Stanford than the Argonne National Laboratory is the difference, or network congestion between my location and Argonne. FWIW, I have also included a screen shot of my latest AT&T Speed Test result; I test to Pleasanton, California.

There is a significant difference between the AT&T results and the Argonne results. There is only a very minor difference between the AT&T results and the Stanford results.

--
Norman

rblomeyer

Lisle, IL

Based on some of the reactions my last posting drew from a "faction" within the forum's regulars, I think I struck a nerve...

One of the easiest ways to identify forum participants who have "covert agendas" is first publicly define (out) the agenda (whatever it may be) and then watch while the discussion participants having or representing whateveer the related ideological viewpoint or "interest" may be distinguish/identify themselves by the volume and negativity of the individual's reactions.

Rather than engaging in a boring exchange of views about which site has a more accurate "speed tester," let's revisit a more important issue for this forum's readers.

This posting isn't a rant. It's about truth and honesty in public discourse. Readers who care about these subjects are invited to read on. But be warned I'm about to shift the focus from "technology" to social philosophy.

David Collingridge is a British analytic philosopher who's written much about the impacts of technologies on culture and society. One of his best books is entitled "The Social Control of Technology." (1980) I won't get into the details, but a readable summary of his premise can be read here: .

The Collingridge book explores his premise, illustrates it with case-studies based on historical events triggered by the release and diffusion of many different technologies, and ends by proposing some "decision rules" that are potentially useful for avoiding some "unintended consequences that often follow decision made to adopt or "buy into" particular technologies.

My favorite from the Collingridge recommendations about limiting or reducing collateral damage from adopting wrong or technologies by de-empahsizing influence from "expert opinion."

"An expert is traditionally seen as neutral, disinterested, unbiased and likely to agree with his peers. On the view proposed here, none of these qualities can be attributed. Instead, an expert is best seen as a committed advocate, matching his opinion with other experts who take a different view of data available to them in a critical battle." (Collingridge, op cit, P.12)

I believe it's in everyone's' best interest (particularly readers' choosing not to post) for participants to honestly identify the nature of their expertise and whether or not they're employees of telco's or service providers.

I'll start! I'm an educational policy analyst and my specialty is educational technology policy and practice. That quote is from my published Doctoral dissertation (1985) from the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign entitled:

"The Use of Computer-based Foreign Language Instruction in Foreign Language Teaching: An Ethnographically Oriented Study" by R.L. Blomeyer. (It's in the UIUC card catalogue.)

I'm not now and have never been employed by any technology vendor or service provider and have no "interest" except promoting an honest and open exchange of ideas in this (and other) public forums and enabling better instructional applications of technologies supporting teaching and learning in our nation's schools.

I challenge other participants in this exchange to identify both their expertise and employers.

Further, speaking as a "policy analyst," I challenge the forum managers of dslreports.com to require forum participants employed by TELCOS and service providers to publicly identify their affiliations as a prerequisite for continuing to participate in discussions.

Not doing so risks encouraging misrepresentation, dishonesty and occasional "intimidation" of forum participants by persons who may not be altogether honest about their reasons or motives.

I commend Waterbug who said this about the attachment (sound file) to my previous posting: "I'd love to, but common sense tells me not to download anything from a stranger who is on a rant." Wise choice!

It's a great sound clip; downloaded from here:

»www.palantir.net/2001/tma1/wav/better.wav

Under present circumstances, maybe an even better one is:

»www.palantir.net/2001/tma1/wav/stresspi.wav

rblomeyer (BobBl)

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I am not employed in the communications industry (Telco), or the entertainment industry (Cableco); never was. Nothing more technical than component level repair for Hewlett Packard.

I am just reporting my own experiences, and test results.
--
Norman