spc
uniqs
Hajman
join:2001-12-17
Newtown Square, PA

Hajman to tew1165

to tew1165

Re: Phillies games missing from fios

Opinion: if having local philly sports is that important to you, you should stick with Comcast. Being on any system other than Comcast puts you at risk for not having that content.

And, no, I don't expect Verizon to seek access to CN8 or some other arrangement with Comcast to show a few Phillies games, nor would I expect Comcast to entertain such an arrangement even if Verizon was interested.
Hound7
join:2006-03-08
Princeton, NJ

Hound7

Well I have Comcast as well as Verizon and Comcast does not provide me CN8. Luckily I am blacked out for Yankees and Mets on MLB EI, so I am watching the Phillies Reds tonight on MLB EI.
Hajman
Newtown Square, PA

Hajman

said by Hound7:

Well I have Comcast as well as Verizon and Comcast does not provide me CN8. Luckily I am blacked out for Yankees and Mets on MLB EI, so I am watching the Phillies Reds tonight on MLB EI.
My point was not that Comcast carries CN8 on all its systems. Apparently it does not carry CN8 on all its Northern NJ systems. However, not having CN8 is not a problem for those on Comcast in the Philly region as all Philly region Comcast systems carry CN8 and CSN.

Thus, my point was that Comcast controls the rights to home game broadcasts of the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers and with the sole exception of Verizon carrying the Philly region CSN (I assume only in the Philly region systems), to my knowledge Comcast does not make these properties (or the Philly region CSN or CN8) available to any other service provider. Further, there is no guarantee that Verizon will be able to get its contract covering CSN renewed. Clearly, for a Phildelphia region subscriber (like the OP), being on Comcast is the only way to ensure access to the regional sports content controlled by Comcast.
lets456
join:2008-01-21
Hainesport, NJ

lets456

said by Hajman:

said by Hound7:

My point was not that Comcast carries CN8 on all its systems. Apparently it does not carry CN8 on all its Northern NJ systems. However, not having CN8 is not a problem for those on Comcast in the Philly region as all Philly region Comcast systems carry CN8 and CSN.

Thus, my point was that Comcast controls the rights to home game broadcasts of the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers and with the sole exception of Verizon carrying the Philly region CSN (I assume only in the Philly region systems), to my knowledge Comcast does not make these properties (or the Philly region CSN or CN8) available to any other service provider. Further, there is no guarantee that Verizon will be able to get its contract covering CSN renewed. Clearly, for a Phildelphia region subscriber (like the OP), being on Comcast is the only way to ensure access to the regional sports content controlled by Comcast.
How long is the contract for CSN to be carried or shown on Verizon Philly area? That's the ONLY reason I went from D* to FIOS.... year, years... months?
Hajman
Newtown Square, PA

Hajman

I have no idea as that information is not publicly available. The deal was signed in December 2006 and covered a wide range of programming controlled by Comcast.

See »news.thomasnet.com/compa ··· y/501159
lets456
Hainesport, NJ

lets456

Well I'm sure or hope it's "in stone" and long term, because if FIOS loses CSN, they will lose a majority of their customers. I don't think they would put out tens of millions of dollars and time on "short term" speculation....but then again, I could be wrong.

My guess is the FCC let them "get away' with the Satelitte or terrestrial viewing loophole, but will not let Comcast get away with this as well. They probably gave them a decision of one or the other and Comcast probably figured that Verizon will NEVER be able to provide all the homes in the immediate city of Philadelphia like D* could. Even though they lost or are losing the outskirts to FIOS in the build out areas, they may have much less to lose in the city.

BTW, anyone know what % of the market share that FIOS has taken from Comcast recently? Also, why doesn't Comcast seem to care that people are jumping ship?
MrSpock29
join:2008-02-09
Hammonton, NJ

MrSpock29

I don't have fios, but I switched over to DirecTv, so I have a lot of experience with all of this already. I found this post a while back, and post no. 4 is interesting, if true.

»www.satelliteguys.us/dir ··· lly.html

I don't know if that will affect distribution of CN8, if at all, but if true, maybe it does.

I have complained to the FCC about the anti-competetiveness of the situation with sports programming down here, but I doubt that matters. There are quite a number of people here who keep Comcast only for CSN Philly. When fios is available here, people will jump at the chance to switch. I will leave DirecTv for fios tv even if they by some miracle carry that channel by then. I've had an open ticket there since Feb. 1st that still hasn't been addressed LOL (It will be any day now.......any day.....lol)

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

2 edits

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

Wait a sec. Why all the talk about a channel that no one watches except for backup Phillies and Flyers games? The problem on Friday was the Flyers were on CSN and the Sixers were on CW-57. IOW, the "backup" OTA channel (CW-57) that is used by the Phillies was already taken.

I only see CN8 listed for games in April. I'm guessing that's due to other conflicts. Check against the Sixers schedule and you'll see them listed on CSN on 4/9 and 4/16, which is the same dates as the Phillies for CN8. No clue why CW-57 doesn't pick up these games, but I'm guessing it's due to contractual commitments. The better choice is to renegotiate for Phillies coverage on CW-57, not to add a channel that no one wants (at least for me).

Don't forget to factor in the TV ratings of baseball in the early part of the season vs. basketball nearing playoffs.

Versus has the hockey playoffs. I'd push Verizon to carry Versus HD. At least they carry it in SD.
lets456
Hainesport, NJ

1 edit

lets456 to MrSpock29

to MrSpock29
said by MrSpock29:

I don't have fios, but I switched over to DirecTv, so I have a lot of experience with all of this already. I found this post a while back, and post no. 4 is interesting, if true.

I don't know if that will affect distribution of CN8, if at all, but if true, maybe it does.

I have complained to the FCC about the anti-competetiveness of the situation with sports programming down here, but I doubt that matters. There are quite a number of people here who keep Comcast only for CSN Philly. When fios is available here, people will jump at the chance to switch. I will leave DirecTv for fios tv even if they by some miracle carry that channel by then. I've had an open ticket there since Feb. 1st that still hasn't been addressed LOL (It will be any day now.......any day.....lol)
I had D* for 7 years and loved them....but I wanted the Phillies and did not want Comcast....Viva la Fios!!!

I still endorse D*...I think it's a good service. I do like FIOS as well.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to lets456

Premium Member

to lets456
the percentage is published like once a year. its still not near as drastic as people believe. the last statistics had cablevision as the biggest loser with comcast at a few hundred thousand subs. enough to make comcast notice thats for sure. when you figure what comcast lost to verizon you also have to figure what verizon lost to comcast in land line revenue.
MrSpock29
Hammonton, NJ

MrSpock29 to lets456

to lets456
said by lets456:

said by MrSpock29:

I had D* for 7 years and loved them....but I wanted the Phillies and did not want Comcast....Viva la Fios!!!

I still endorse D*...I think it's a good service. I do like FIOS as well.
Except for the poor customer service, I like D* also. The pic is definitely better than Comcast, and I like the extra channels. Having said that, I would gladly switch to fios tv whenever it gets here. It looks to me like the Phils on are MLB EI for most of the games so far, even though it isn't the CSN feed. From what I've seen of the free trial, I think I might get MLB EI even if I had CSN PHL.
Hound7
join:2006-03-08
Princeton, NJ

Hound7

MLB EI on Directv is well worth even if you get Fios. Almost every game is in HD and they have both the home and away feeds for all games. For each game they have up to four
feeds, home and away, 2 SD and 2 HD.

There is also a feature with the green, red and yellow buttons on the remote that you can access the in game box score of any game at any time, plus the current league standings, and league leaders superimposed over the game that you are watching. Really neat. Never saw this before on
anything.

I am blacked out for the Mets. But since I get SNY and SNY HD on Directv, in MLB EI, I am not blacked out on the SNY MLB EI feeds. Just the opposing team against the Mets feed.

Luckily I live in whats called a contiguous county under the
MLB television agreement and Fios provides me with CSN HD,
YES HD and SNY HD. Directv gives me MSG HD, MSG+ HD, MLB EI
HD, NBA TV HD, NBA LP HD, NHL Network HD and NHL CI HD. Between the two, I can get just about every MLB, NBA and NHL game in HD.
MrSpock29
Hammonton, NJ

MrSpock29

said by Hound7:

MLB EI on Directv is well worth even if you get Fios. Almost every game is in HD and they have both the home and away feeds for all games. For each game they have up to four
feeds, home and away, 2 SD and 2 HD.

There is also a feature with the green, red and yellow buttons on the remote that you can access the in game box score of any game at any time, plus the current league standings, and league leaders superimposed over the game that you are watching. Really neat. Never saw this before on
anything.

I am blacked out for the Mets. But since I get SNY and SNY HD on Directv, in MLB EI, I am not blacked out on the SNY MLB EI feeds. Just the opposing team against the Mets feed.

Luckily I live in whats called a contiguous county under the
MLB television agreement and Fios provides me with CSN HD,
YES HD and SNY HD. Directv gives me MSG HD, MSG+ HD, MLB EI
HD, NBA TV HD, NBA LP HD, NHL Network HD and NHL CI HD. Between the two, I can get just about every MLB, NBA and NHL game in HD.
Yes, I decided last night I am going to subscribe via DirecTv, and I would likely still do it with fios. I do like those features on the remote. Down here, I don't get the PHL feed, but I can get over that. Sounds like you live in the best spot to see all the sports, I certainly am not lol