Search similar:

uniqs

aelfwyne
join:2004-01-28
Houston, TX

2 edits

aelfwyne

[Vista] Disable mobsync.exe in Vista?

I would like to know how to permanently kill mobsync.exe. It is the process for the Vista Sync Center. I have read many tips, but obviously nobody who wrote the tips actually tried them out. It is not listed on any startup lists (not found by msconfig, autoruns utility, etc). Nor do I have any sync partnerships enabled. Yet mobsync.exe still runs, and periodically launches wmplayer.exe, and grinds drive & CPU when it does. I have gone to the sync center in control panel, and there are no partnerships listed. There seems to be no other way to disable this cpu-sucker. From what I understand, in XP you can disable this on Folder|Options, but this does not work on Vista.

Anybody know how?

EDIT:
I think I came up with a solution. Same method I use to keep iTunes from loading endless useless "helpers" - took ownership of the file, and set to Deny Everyone for all permissions. Should prevent it from running.

However if anyone knows a PROPER way to disable this useless appendage, I'd like to know.
grreyeyezz
join:2002-01-05
Cleveland, OH

grreyeyezz

I think this works for Vista also

»web.ukonline.co.uk/cook/ ··· rtup.htm

aelfwyne
Houston, TX

aelfwyne

said by grreyeyezz:

I think this works for Vista also

»web.ukonline.co.uk/cook/ ··· rtup.htm
Nope. Vista doesn't put mobsync.exe in the CurrentVersion\Run or in any other normal startup location. So far the only way I've found to do this is to deny permissions to the file using security.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to aelfwyne

MVM

to aelfwyne
disable offline files and it will disable mobsync.exe
»www.vistastic.com/2007/0 ··· s-vista/

Cudni

aelfwyne
Houston, TX

aelfwyne

Been there, tried that.

Problem is, those directions seem to be cut/pasted from someone who used XP and didn't try it on Vista.

Here is a screenshot of the control panel page where they claim you can disable Offline Files:

»img442.imageshack.us/img ··· eyl7.jpg

Notice the lack of the very option that page says should be there? There is instead Sync Center - which if you load, shows sync partnerships, etc. It also has no Offline Files option.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

click in Start Search, type offline files

Cudni

aelfwyne
Houston, TX

aelfwyne

No results.

From further investigation, apparently Microsoft decided NOT to include the "Offline Files" control panel in Vista Premium - it is only available in Business and Ultimate.

Silverspur
@customer.tele.dk

Silverspur

Anon

Excuse me if this is a complete newbie question, but how do you take ownership of a file in Vista (home premium). I REALLY want to get rid of mobsync — absolutely useless if you ask me.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

see
»www.vistax64.com/tutoria ··· hip.html

Cudni

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

1 edit

Freddy to aelfwyne

Premium Member

to aelfwyne
aelfwyne,

Using google, I found the following statement by someone with the same issue, quote:

I found a registry entry that stopped it in Vista, change 'enabled' to 0 from 1.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{b44aec44-38f4-4b59-8 df3-10306abf19b2}

Unquote,

Freddy