MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

4 edits

HRM

MVM

SOLUTION to Error 1327. Invalid Drive: G:\ for Office 2003

SYMPTOM:

I have just updated MS Office 2003 via the Microsoft Office update site on a pc running Windows XP Pro SP2. At the end of the installation of the updates an error message appeared stating the installation of the updates was unsuccessful.

First find the log file as outlined here
»support.microsoft.com/kb/884290/

Looking in the install log I get Error 1327. Invalid Drive: G:\.

I have never changed c drive letter. And currently there is not a G drive.

There is no G:/ reference in the registry. *(shell folders, etc.) I searched for "G:"

I have tried most things I found in Google.

»support.microsoft.com/?id=884298

When I went to add/remove I get the same error trying to repair office. ( Invalid Drive: G:\ )

I also notice ...
Event viewer shows generic failure error error 0x80070643 for the failed office installs. During the office failures, windows itself updated fine. The fact the Office uninstaller is looking for a "G" drive tells me some file is pointing to it. I searched the "C" drive for any reference to "G" hoping I will see an office log or file with a reference to "G".

While looking around MS KB,I found and DLed Office 2003 Tool: Local Installation Source Tool
»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· Lang=en#

This had an error installing the LIS, but selecting "move cache" it found MS error reporting pointing to a G: drive location. I used it to remove the "G" reference and point it to C and am now plugging and prAYing.

ANSWER FOR FUTURE GOOGLERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

UPDATE: HRM = SUPERGENIUS (As said by Wil E Coyote)

fixed...screw expurt Xchange and their fees..

How to solve this issue.

Download and install (really more like unzip) Local Installation Source Tool (the exe needs to go somewhere)

»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· Lang=en#

PLEASE NOTE, I have to tell you what I did, which may contain steps that are unneeded and useless, but I don't know what worked exactly, so here is what I did.

Once Unzipped, try to install and start the LIS feature. (I got an error failure)
Then uninstall the LIS that just failed.
Then choose "move LIS to another drive" I moved it to "C" and I also moved the error reporting thing that was pointed to the phantom "G" drive.
Once that is done, try to install the office update... (plug and prAY) that worked for me.