spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dreven
join:2006-11-05
Keller, TX

Dreven

[Shower] Ripping out and re-doing one newb style

My wife wants our shower re-done. I'm talking about ripping everything out (tile, shower frame, shower head/hardware, shower pan). I've never done anything like this: never cut tile, don't have a wet-saw, never seen it done, never put a shower frame in.

With no help and no knowledge at all... would I stand a chance? How difficult is it to cut tile and get vertical pieces pieces flat and level for a first timer? It just seems like doing it yourself is a 500% or better savings. I'm trying to figure out if I want to even attempt this. If I do decide to try, I could always go buy a wetsaw and a use a trash piece of sheet-rock and cheap tile to practice with I suppose.

My wife is wanting one of those rain shower heads, full 1' tile top to bottom (no pan), and a new shower frame (it is needed).

I'm guessing:
-Rip out the old frame
-Rip out the old tile
-(probable water damage) replace sheetrock with water-proof sheet rock)
-Call a plumber to put in the new hardware
-Tile
-Install new frame

The half-wall part of the shower confuses me. I could rip that out. But, if my wife doesn't want that ripped out I'd need to rip off the old topper on and and get a new one or use tile.

?

asasfd
@cox.net

asasfd

Anon

Frankly, It's a shower and I suggest you have a professional do it. Floor tile or wall tile you could do, but if you don't get that shower pan right your in real trouble. We just had a shower redone for about $1500 that includes new faucet and 12 by 12 tiles.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to Dreven

Premium Member

to Dreven
This is a pretty challenging project for a man who has no experience and limited tools.

The demo work is the easiest thing.

Maybe you could do it if you had a month.

sdsdsfd
@cox.net

sdsdsfd to Dreven

Anon

to Dreven
mitty, You forgot the first question. Is this the only bathroom?

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

Even if they have another bath this looks like the master and his wife won't be happy with that mess for that length of time (I'm just guessing).
JTech4
join:2001-11-13
Springfield, MO

JTech4

Could cost you more in the long run if you handle the water mitigation properly. I am not just talking about the drainage for the shower, You need to put up green board, Properly tape it then I would put up some sheeting over that. Do everything you can to prevent anything for mold to take a hold of, otherwise could cost a fortune.
Dreven
join:2006-11-05
Keller, TX

1 edit

Dreven

We do have another shower. I guess I should just get an estimate and see how much it would cost. I'm willing to try it but don't want to screw up anything water related.

ravencajun
Premium Member
join:2004-08-12
Houston, TX

ravencajun to Dreven

Premium Member

to Dreven
Putting in a shower pan is a project best done by someone who knows what they are doing or you will be paying the price in the end. IF you do not get it done right and sealed right you will have water leakage issues not to mention mold issues.
Personally I would have part of it done professionally and the part you think you can tackle then do it. But the drain, shower pan and plumbing I say pro. IF you had some experience in these fields that would be different.
Heck on Holmes on Homes I have seen him "tear it all out" showers that were done by supposedly pros that were a joke and the home owner had major leak problems and mold.
Be sure you do get someone you check out first.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Michail to Dreven

Premium Member

to Dreven
I did it but it wound up taking me about 6 months. My shower is also 6 sided so that added a bit to the complexity.
Everything is harder and takes longer than you would expect but it's not impossible work. I could have probably done it sooner if I had been forced to do so.

However, I've heard many horror stories involving contractors also. Sometimes taking as long or never even finishing the job.

Make sure to plug the drain before beginning demo. I've seen two cases where contractors didn't do that.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

2 edits

1 recommendation

natedj to Dreven

Premium Member

to Dreven
I respect any guy willing to DIY.
Note: It might cost you a bit more than you might initially planned but that's the price you pay when learning.
I usually check Youtube for a lot of my DIY projects there are a lot. check out these two.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to Dreven

Premium Member

to Dreven
Tiling floors isn't that hard, since little needs to be cut. I pay no attention to the silly 'start in the center of the floor'. I started at the far end and worked toward the door - no problem and looks fine.

Tiling walls, on the other hand, is hard... Maybe not quite as hard if you use 12" tiles, but little tiles..cutting those for corners, trim tiles, and making sure spacing is right...
Blah.

I'd tackle a floor job again, maybe (if my back can handle it) but I'd definitely pay someone to do the walls.

But, heck, I only came to that conclusion trying it myself!

If you do go for it, don't just demo crazy-like. Pay attention to how things are setup as you take them down. Pictures at various points may eve be a good idea.
KM

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

1 recommendation

rockotman to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Even if they have another bath this looks like the master and his wife won't be happy with that mess for that length of time (I'm just guessing).
Testify! I did our master bath back in 2002, and it was out of commission for two weeks (new tile floor, new ceiling, faux marble painting of the walls, new cabinetry, and refurbished the tub/shower). Even though doing all this was the wife's idea, and I warned her that it would take me at least two weekends and a solid week of full evening shifts, she was still PO'd that she had to use the smaller bath roon after only about a week. Oh well.

Happy wife, happy life.