spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

potbellypig

join:2008-01-20

1 recommendation

[OOL] [OOL] Does Optimum Online still regulate torrents?

Hi, I did a search and found some posts about Cablevision regulating the upload speed of torrents. Is this still the case? Most of the posts state that if you seed alot, you would be capped. I would be interested in the 30/5 boost package but if they are going to play games with torrents then I'll stay with my current DSL albiet it is much skower. Thanks in advance for your advice. I am in the Bronxd, NY.

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
I have been uploading non stop for months and have not been capped.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to potbellypig
Click for full size
They have never restricted torrent uploading in any sort of way.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

potbellypig

join:2008-01-20
So there is no problem seeding public torrents? I am not talking about stuff like copyrighted movies. I saw in some places that OOL interferes with connecting as a seed and causes frequent disconnects and caps. I looked at this link and it worried me. There is also some mention of the same on the Optimum Online Wiki Page.

»www.encyclocentral.com/18563-Opt···and.html

jpr281

join:2006-01-12
Shirley, NY
said by potbellypig:

So there is no problem seeding public torrents? I am not talking about stuff like copyrighted movies. I saw in some places that OOL interferes with connecting as a seed and causes frequent disconnects and caps. I looked at this link and it worried me. There is also some mention of the same on the Optimum Online Wiki Page.

»www.encyclocentral.com/18563-Opt···and.html
That's old news. Ever since Boost went to 5 Mb/s upload (close to 2 years ago?) there have been no reports of capping on regular OOL or Boost.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to potbellypig
OOL never regulated torrents exclusively. There had been reports of traffic shaping, but I never had any issues and the "evidence" was inconclusive imo.

OOL used to cap users that would upload at high speeds for prolonged periods of time. This was over any protocol, not just torrents. They no longer do that.

You can upload all you want on OOL now. Hopefully it will stay like that.
--
University of Southern California - Class of 2010. Fight On!

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to potbellypig
OOL has really progressed.

I remember being reprimanded by a tech in December 2004 when I uploaded lots of data to a backup server. I had to acknowledge that I wouldn't do it again like I was a second grader. The entire process made you feel like dirt.

But that's all gone now. You're the first to mention cap in a very long time.

blanka2k2

join:2002-05-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to potbellypig
This might be a coincidence that this topic was posted around this time, but I think my OOL is being shaped in terms of torrent DL's and UL's. For the first 10 seconds or so when the torrent just starts it reaches full speed around 1500 kB/s but after that the download speed goes to about 90 - 200 kB/s in a matter of seconds and remains steady at that. Mind you Upload speed remains consistently at about 1 - 5 kB/s. I have not changed anything at all, this problem just started maybe 3 - 4 days ago. Thought it was just a "bug" going around but its staying consistent so far. Anyone else having the same issues? By the way, I do have a router but I tried d/c it and still same problem. I have not changed my setup at all from when it was working normally up until this point.

Sam2723

@optonline.net
OOL security team doesn't regulate torrents.

However, you will get throttled or walled if the MPAA finds out you're stealing stuff and contacts your ISP.

If you've ever played around with a bittorent client you'll notice that you can cap your upload speed. This means that even if you have 10 seeders and one leecher speeds can still suck.

Bypassing a router is always an option, and d/l torrents is always dependent upon whoever is uploading it.

Upload speeds are universally slower than d/l speeds.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

not true.
Back in 2005 OOL was doing the same thing that Comcast is doing now. read »Re: Why Is OOL Selectively Blocking Bit Torrent Pa and how this problem was solved »Good news and »more good news for us and »Re: Why Is OOL Selectively Blocking Bit Torrent Pa

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by MxxCon:

said by Alcohol:

not true.
Back in 2005 OOL was doing the same thing that Comcast is doing now. read »Re: Why Is OOL Selectively Blocking Bit Torrent Pa and how this problem was solved »Good news and »more good news for us and »Re: Why Is OOL Selectively Blocking Bit Torrent Pa
I never experienced any problems with high amounts of uploading in the years of using OOL.

Attack Gypsy

join:2007-05-10
Milford, CT
reply to potbellypig
I didn't start with Cablevision until September of 2006.

I remember that the main reason for people being capped was because of torrents, and that people who said they weren't d/l'ing were probably lying.

I'm glad they stopped capping people. It always seemed kinda stupid to me.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
reply to Sam2723
said by Sam2723:

However, you will get throttled or walled if the MPAA finds out you're stealing stuff and contacts your ISP.
No you won't.

Sam2723

join:2008-04-03
Milford, CT
reply to potbellypig
My good sir I refer you to the wonderful copyright infringement email as well as the Walled Garden page.

Had an incident where a woman with an unsecured wireless network was walled.

Her router's IP was tracked uploading CRYSIS or whatever that game is.

Security team got an email, subscriber got throttled.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
How exactly did she get throttled by cablevision?

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:8
reply to potbellypig
This thread is bullshit
I have yet to be throttled and I use Usenet at the same time as using torrents for obscure stuff.
--
Spread the joy of herpes

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Sam2723
said by Sam2723:

My good sir I refer you to the wonderful copyright infringement email as well as the Walled Garden page.

Had an incident where a woman with an unsecured wireless network was walled.

Her router's IP was tracked uploading CRYSIS or whatever that game is.

Security team got an email, subscriber got throttled.
"Had an incident....."? WHO "had an incident"?

What about non copyright file uploading? Do they "throttle" that too?

What you are talking about has NOTHING to do with OOL, it has to do with someone getting tagged via their torrent program by the RIAA/MPAA (who sets up bogus files), who then requires that the ISP sends the "letter", which can be ignored if the infringement is stopped. Please stop spreading FUD claiming that OOL blanket "throttles" of their own accord.

To the OP....OOL/BOOST does NOT "cap" or "throttle" and hasn't for years. Whether you will get tagged for copyright infringement via other ways is unknown and has nothing to do with OOL.

--
10,830 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11~~TEAM DISCOVERY
Can't feel you anymore, don't need you anymore, don't believe you anymore, I don't need you anymore

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by MxxCon:

said by Alcohol:

not true.
I never experienced any problems with high amounts of uploading in the years of using OOL.
"I never experienced" is a HUGE difference from "They have never". Your original statement is plain wrong.

Sam2723

Milford, CT
reply to La Luna
OOL doesn't blanket throttle.
But our network security team will throttle uploads if asked by RIAA/MPAA. It's more of a liability issue than anything.

The same thing happens if you've got an out of control trojan. Network security bricks your modem.

We block ports that are generally huge holes in network integrity. 80, 8080, 25, Squid, UDP 1080, etc.
This decreases hacking, spamming, and the like.

That's how the Quality of Service team tracks bad stuff coming from your computer.

I'm not saying that OOL will throttle your uploads just because you were torrenting. I'm saying that you not only get an email from the QOS team, your modem gets walled and you get a nice page explaining that in order to reactivate your service you need to call us.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

"I never experienced" is a HUGE difference from "They have never". Your original statement is plain wrong.
So they choose to throttle some users and leave others?

Sam2723

Milford, CT
if you are deemed a threat to the network due to hacking, spamming, uploading copyrighted material, or serious trojan activity... then yes, you will be throttled and/or bricked.

but you've got to think of it in terms of speeding on a highway. sure, people get caught, but not everybody does.

I've only really seen ten or twelve of these situations since I started in October... the bricking/throttling is to get your attention, it's like a warning shot.

All ISP's do it to some extent, I remember when I lived in Albany NY my mother got throttled for having some serious trojan virus issues.

destinz1

join:2007-11-15
Weehawken, NJ
reply to potbellypig
Something has changed in the past day or so. RST's aren't being reset anymore. Instead, u/l and d/l speeds have horribly declined. It's hard to notice on torrents with a bunch (100+) of peers, but when there's 10-15 (or so) peers, it's like watching grass grow. Like before, though, if I sign on to my VPN, my speeds instantly go way up on that same torrent.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

my statement have been perfectly clear. i don't need to explain what i said any further. if you think otherwise, it means you don't know what you are talking about.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by MxxCon:

said by Alcohol:

my statement have been perfectly clear.
Negative.

blanka2k2

join:2002-05-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to destinz1
said by destinz1:

Something has changed in the past day or so. RST's aren't being reset anymore. Instead, u/l and d/l speeds have horribly declined. It's hard to notice on torrents with a bunch (100+) of peers, but when there's 10-15 (or so) peers, it's like watching grass grow. Like before, though, if I sign on to my VPN, my speeds instantly go way up on that same torrent.
Exactly what I am facing right now.

Somatica

@optonline.net
reply to blanka2k2
I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. THIS JUST STARTED.
I get good speed, then the speed drops.. The peer stays connected according to utorrent. but no data is sent.. My download speed is horrible on all torrents.. Sometimes very rarely I get a constant connection to a peer. I have tried using deluge and a proxy to connect, which worked before when I needed to upload, otherwise peers would disconnect.. Maybe this is punishment for trying to get around their peer disconnect thing.

Somatica

@optonline.net
reply to Alcohol
I have no idea how the hell you can upload so much.. Are you telling your torrent speeds haven't been affected as of yet?

Somatica

@optonline.net
reply to destinz1
What VPN are you using.. How fast are speeds? Is there a bandwidth limit?

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
reply to Somatica
said by Somatica :

I have no idea how the hell you can upload so much.. Are you telling your torrent speeds haven't been affected as of yet?
No they have not. Still maxing out my upload (550-600 kB/s)

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:8
reply to potbellypig
I upload a lot, I have never been throttled
last month I uploaded may over 231gb's
--
Spread the joy of herpes