spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JDCMAN
join:2006-02-23
Somers, NY

JDCMAN to potbellypig

to potbellypig

Re: [OOL] [OOL] Does Optimum Online still regulate torrents?

By the way, I got a response from Glasnost- they're working on a new test to see if particular bittorrent behavior is interfered with, including seeding,
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

1 edit

majortom1029 to potbellypig

to potbellypig
Question You guys doing these tests from people who are not using comcast? IF the person is getting throttled at the other end wouldnt that make it look like its cablevision doing it?

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

Of course. Infact, oddly enough I can upload to comcast hosts. But my upstream REALLY opens up to other optonline.net hosts. The conclusion is obvious - intra network isn't using anti p2p tech.

I would be up for a test of setting up a tracker [on my OOL line, obviously having only a few test files), and letting other OOL subscribers use it as a test say once a week for a few hours (on a schedule). The glasnost test in it's current form is fairly meaningless for us. I pass with flying colors yet i cannot seed.

Dave
JDCMAN
Somers, NY

JDCMAN to potbellypig

to potbellypig
Hey, if you want to setup a host to tracker for a little bit, I'll take a part in your experiment. If it's legal content (which it naturally will be) we can even use ImageShack's Torrent service to test seeding to non OOL hosts.

StreetSpirit
Premium Member
Roslyn, NY

1 edit

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

I would need MxxCon See Profile's help. He's the torrent expert, but I am sure I woud like to do this. The test files will be just that, and of course will be legal.

Another problem is schedule, on my end. This month is extremely busy, almost everyone (including Mom!) has their birthdays coming up in early June. I figure I'd want to do it afterwards.

I'd like to hear from Mxxcon as to how to set up a simple tracker. Infact, running a tracker from the OOL connection serves no useful purpose other than simplicity as we're interested in basically the transactions of the peers and seeds in the swarm.

Max? Any thoughts?

BTW using a third party torrent service makes good sense. I didn't know Imageshack had one. Will take a look- thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of Imageshack, I have many photos in RAW format which were taken by a pro-Paparazzi' friend, that he couldn't sell. They are copyrighted but he will without a doubt give us permission to use them as test files.

Dave
dozebeats
join:2003-09-10
Brooklyn, NY

dozebeats to potbellypig

to potbellypig
Just to confirm, changing ports also boosted my speeds greatly.
JDCMAN
Somers, NY

JDCMAN to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
Or we could just get a bunch of creative commons songs, or a Linux ISO...whatever test files are fine. Photos would be cool though.

@dozebeats

Yeah, Alcohol was right, changing the port helped my speed immensely too.
slicknick198
join:2002-09-10
united state

slicknick198 to Alcohol

to Alcohol
Thanks for the advice about trying a lower port number. I'll try it out.

cheers

StreetSpirit
Premium Member
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Try using lower number ports, like 1000-1200 if you're getting throttled.
Hey!! I'm seeding! ) GREAT JOB dude!
StreetSpirit

StreetSpirit to JDCMAN

Premium Member

to JDCMAN
said by JDCMAN:

Or we could just get a bunch of creative commons songs, or a Linux ISO...whatever test files are fine. Photos would be cool though.

@dozebeats

Yeah, Alcohol was right, changing the port helped my speed immensely too.
Absolutely. I've been a little short on free time lately, and won't be able to participate for another week or two due to family obligations.

If someone else would like to work with JDCMAN See Profile , please feel free to take my spot.

Dave
JDCMAN
Somers, NY

JDCMAN

Bit of a snag...

Boost's TOS permits servers only on ports 80 and 25 (HTTP & SMTP). This means we can't setup a tracker (well, not within the TOS for OOL anyways).

Maybe ooltech could shed some more light on this for us instead?

As I've said before, Glasnost is working on a test for this type of throttling.

Also, as Alcohol has found, changing the ports to lower ports (1000-1200) for incoming connections allows you to seed normally.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Then again when you are seeding using P2P, I am pretty sure, Cablevision considers that as running a server, so I am not sure that it should matter.

In fact, any time you run P2P you are technically running both a client and a file server.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to potbellypig

to potbellypig
I'm in Connecticut and I'm thinking of signing up with Optimum Online. Does anyone know if they interfere with BitTorrent in CT?

The customer rep I talked to said that they have no bandwidth usage limits, but when I asked about problems with BT, she wasn't sure what to tell me. She said that she hadn't been told about any company imposed limits on specific uses, but then again, they may not even tell the reps things like that.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

You'll be fine.

Use uTorrent with encryption and ports around 1000-1200.

tomoo
@optonline.net

tomoo to potbellypig

Anon

to potbellypig
just to let you guys know i believe that ool is throttling uploads not downloads. I have noticed when I seed torrents, my max upload on bt goes to only 10KB and after a while dies down to 0KB. However, when i download i am able to max out my uploading.
modmop
join:2002-10-08
Tuckahoe, NY

modmop

I have Optimum Online for quite a few years. I use bittorrent every day. D/l speed used to be 12mb's and still is. Upload speed used to be 1.3mb's, now it's 312kb/s. I'm not happy about the slower speed but I'll live.
modmop

modmop

I just reinstalled vista and did the speed test at speakeasy.com. D/l is 13 mb's and the upload is 1.7mb's. Now I'm happy with optonline.
modmop

modmop

When I did the speed test I hadn't installed an antivirus program. So I installed Avg pro and I had 12mb down and 317 k/bs up. So I uninstalled the Avg pro antivirus and did the speedtest again and it was 13mb's down and 1.7mb's up without any antivirus program. So I guess it was the antivirus slowing down the speed and not optonline. I now have the free version of Avira Antivir Personal anti virus and it doesn't slow the up or download speed at all. I'm getting 13911 mb's down and 1842 mb's up. Mystery solved.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

I use AVG pro and have no problems with speed. That seems a bit strange that an anti virus program is slowing your internet speed down.
modmop
join:2002-10-08
Tuckahoe, NY

modmop

I use FF, avg installed 2 buttons on the top of FF for protection from harmful websites. I'm assuming that's what slowed the connection. There's a choice to install the 2 browser buttons. MuDvAyNe did you install the 2 browser buttons when installing Avg?

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

yes I have and notice no difference at all.

radmish
Hi
join:2000-04-15
Oakland, NJ

radmish to potbellypig

to potbellypig
I was having various torrent problems like not being able to connect to trackers on some torrents, lots of torrents being listed red (and yet somehow downloading still), and slower than expected download speeds. I upgraded from µTorrent 1.7.7 to the 1.8 RC2 and they instantly all solved themselves after the upgrade.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Probably a tracker issue, not related to Optimum Online..
stupidangelx
join:2004-08-20
Schenectady, NY

1 edit

stupidangelx to Alcohol

to Alcohol
»/speak ··· VudHM%3D

how do u get to this page?

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

It's a program called DU Meter
vexation
join:2008-09-29

vexation

Ok.. I've had Opt Online since '99. They have ALWAYS capped when uploading. I haven't tried to upload anything silly in a couple of years. Back in the day if you even thought of running an FTP your modem would be throttled in a matter of seconds. Is that sill the case? I would like to run an ftp, but don't want to deal with opt online capping me to 20kbps upload.

Is this still the case, or am I in the free and clear? Anyone else running ftp's?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

OOL never capped for running servers, especially not instantly. Rarely they would actually call you/cut service if they found a server, but there have been few/no reports of that here since I've been reading the board.

Caps were only for uploading at high speeds for long durations. OOL no longer caps (hasn't in a couple of years).

While running servers is still technically against the TOS, I highly doubt you'd show up on anybody's radar. Just keep the server simple and traffic to a minimum. Don't make some warez ftp. Personal stuff is fine.

If you want to be a little more in the clear, you can upgrade to OOL Boost (30Mb/5Mb). It specifically allows SMTP and HTTP servers (ports 25 and 80), while the TOS still prohibits running servers on any other ports.

Personally, I have Boost and run a variety of servers, all for personal use. I haven't had any problems since I got OOL back in 2001.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

2 edits

eival to potbellypig

to potbellypig
Azureus just sent congress a letter in light of the recent attack on Comcast for this same issue, in the letter they named a bunch of other ISP's including Comcast whom they've tracked via their torrent client which show TCP connection resets for all P2P traffic still going on even after congress ruled against these types of actions by ISP's last month, includeded in this list of providers who also reset P2P connections is Cablevision/Optimum Online. google for more info

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

Did you read this old thread, or just decide to resurrect it? Read the posts by Alcohol - no issue with torrents on OOL. No capping, no resets.

If you are having problems with torrents, just READ this thread (and follow the advice given) and you will be fine. If you still have problems, start a thread and I'm sure you can get help here to resolve it.

BrooklynFans
@optonline.net

BrooklynFans to potbellypig

Anon

to potbellypig
Guys don't try to download torrent with those fresh stuff I keep getting 2 letter that optimum sell out their customer. I keep receive those warning letter from optimum talk about those torrent shiT that I just download the movie. I never had those problem until I met Optimum. They are good citizen but shit service