spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

too little upload..

10% upload is really the deal killer for 50/5 at the $150 price-tag. If it's not at least 10-12 megabits upload, they really shouldn't bother. Docsis 3's whole point was to see at least "3" bonded channels, which on an even oversold node is 9 -12 megabits not 5... FYI; even docsis 1.x modems can do 10megabits upload.. if provisioned as such, so that's the starting point.

Verizon for it's part has gotten the message with releasing symmetric tiers... although the pricing is at a premium. 15/ 5-15, 20/20. 30 / 5-20, 50/20. Hopefully, REAL competition and economies of scale (subscriber uptick) will bring down prices.. but don't hold your breath-- it will happen only slowly.. (as in once in a generation..) Another comparable is how long it took to get all you can eat cell phone plans at a headline breaking price point.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

Re: too little upload..

said by tmc8080:

If it's not at least 10-12 megabits upload, they really shouldn't bother.
I'm glad they bother, because 5mbps is still a far cry better than the 768k I have now.
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow to tmc8080

to tmc8080
tmc

Do not forget that that 10megabits(upload) is SHARED between all the people on that node. That is where the older Docsis standards bite (and why we are provisioned so low). By the same token the download could be 38meg (?) on the older standards but again that is shared.
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4

All DOCSIS systems are shared, even DOCSIS 3.0- it's a limitation of the basic coax medium that isn't likely to change anytime soon. What DOCSIS 3 can do is allow a lot more bandwidth to be shared than the earlier limit of 38mbps.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

1 recommendation

majortom1029

ugh its not the coax medium. ITs been proven by verizon themselves that coax can go up to 270/270.
its the way the docsis specs are set. Just look at narads old stuff 100/100 via coax.

I wish people would stop with this coax is slow crud. its not the medium its thre docsis spec that stinks.
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4

I never said it was slow because it was coax, but the reason cable systems are shared are definately because of how they built the infrastructure of the network. You could have a shared system using telephone-style cable, or have dedicated coaxial lines to each home, but that's not how the cable network is built.