how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz

@comcast.net

4 edits

DOCSIS 3.0 "wideband" Service starting with Twin Cities

Comcast is going to be deploying wideband to the twin cities using SA/Cisco wideband techs and SA/Cisco modems. Prices will be up to $150 for up to 50 down/5 up and $200 for business customers.

Sounds good but a bit pricey for my tastes. wonder if they will offer 25 or 30 or even 40 mbps for cheaper? Will prices come down eventually?

here is the article:
»www.multichannel.com/index.asp?l···A6547304

no sub needed to view article

Mod Note: BBR front page article is here ---> »Comcast Offers 50Mbps

Mod Note to All: Please read this post from the BBR News Guy ---> »Re: wideband coming to twin cities this week

See also ---> »[Connectivity] Twin Cities power cycle your modem
»My adventure with Comcast and 50Mbps thus far...

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

Re: wideband coming to twin cities this week

prepair to be locked in 5.4.3.2.1

Seriously though read the front page!

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT
said by Chiyo:

prepair to be locked in 5.4.3.2.1

Seriously though read the front page!
Well.hopefully the mod's leave either this thread open or open up the news thread. We do need a thread for this 50Mb rollout to discuss it.

This certainly isn't powerboost or blast.

It's Docsis 3.0 Wideband.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by Rick:

This certainly isn't powerboost or blast.

It's Docsis 3.0 Wideband.
Downstream only as far as channel bonding goes..

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1
reply to mikedz
Well I spoke to an insider they said that they are still working on 25meg but wanted to get 50 out the door sooner so right now they are pushing 50. Still going to be interesting by the end of the year!
--
My Blog:
»abanzai.animeblogger.net/

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
reply to mikedz
It will be interesting to see how quick they roll this out. I know it should be 100% by 2010, but that is still a ways out. $150 for 50/5 is a bit steep. Now, if it was $150 for 50/50 I would be more open, or a guarantee that it would be upgraded to 50/50 when upstream channel bonding comes along. If that were the case I think I might jump all over that, cause its Comcast or Qwest in my area, and Qwest is a joke at the moment. Only time will tell, and I can almost promise that Denver will be one of the last markets to get upgraded. We don't even have Blast!

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
50/50 won't be coming to DOCSIS systems anytime soon. (read: maybe when your kids grow up they can order it)

Der_Idiot

join:2008-02-10
Norwood Young America, MN
reply to mikedz
I've heard a sale was made friday for the 50/5 service, install is sched for today.

He's going to be one happy individual

melek76
Premium
join:2008-04-04
Saint Paul, MN
reply to mikedz
Has anyone signed up for this?

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
I signed up but ended up canceling for now. I really wanted the additional upload speed, but with the free bump from 8/768 to 8/2 it got tougher to justify the extra expense.

garitaar

@comcast.net
reply to mikedz
I had this installed today. I was motivated by the added uplink bandwidth, only.

I will post if there are any interesting observations.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
Would like to see some pictures of the new installs to use for the site's front page, so if anyone is getting this installed, please document it....

Particularly interested to see what Moto modems they're using...

Ciscoboy

@comcast.net
Just had this installed this afternoon.

Download Speed: 49351 kbps (6168.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4691 kbps (586.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Modem being used is the Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) DPC2505.

ciscoboy4
Premium
join:2008-04-07
reply to EG
said by Rick:

Downstream only as far as channel bonding goes..
Cable Tech said they are using 3 downstream channels and 2 up stream channels. They just enabled the 2nd up stream channel a few weeks ago.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to mikedz
Cisco,
where are you testing to/from?
Is your Ip range the same/similar to before?
Did they offer a seperate different TOS?
Seperate/differnt support #'s?

ciscoboy4
Premium
join:2008-04-07

1 edit
Testing from my command bunker to the Comcast speedtest site.
»68.87.xxx.x
Different IP Range, I have been switched from the normal 75 range to 98.240 range.
Only issue so far is google.com defaults to google.de (germany)

No mention of a separate TOS.

Tech mentioned that if any issues, mention you need support for the "50/5" service, apparently someone already called and made a stink because they got the national support desk, not the local support that knows about it and can assist. They have been testing it in the Twin Cities area for about 4 months.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to ciscoboy4
said by ciscoboy4:

and 2 up stream channels. They just enabled the 2nd up stream channel a few weeks ago.
I don't think so.

»www.sciatl.com/products/customer···w-US.pdf

[Snip]

Greater Bandwidth, Lower Cost –
Channel Bonded Modems
Consumers are increasingly demanding “many
services to many screens” resulting in more bandwidth
demands on the network than ever before.
Scientific Atlanta offers modems that are specifically
designed for the Cisco’s Modular DOCSIS
3.0 Downstream Channel Bonding solution.
Our modems use multiple channels to deliver
more packets simultaneously, providing high
throughput performance compared to existing
downstream speeds. The DPC2505™ Channel
Bonded Modem delivers the following
capabilities:
• Up to 100+ Mbps downstream/30 Mbps
upstream data transfer speeds
• Maximum of 3 bonded downstream channels,
1 upstream

• Meets DOCSIS 2.0 specifications and DOCSIS
3.0 compatible
Get Things Moving Fast –
High-Speed

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
reply to mikedz
Has anyone heard if they are going to deploy 50/50 when the upstream channel bonding is approved? $150 for 50/5 is a little steep, but I would still get it. I would be much more inclined to get it if it was 50/50, or if they have plans to upgrade to 50/50 when the upstream channel bonding comes out. As of right now the cable modems they are deploying don't do upstream bonding, which means they will have to change them out when to do it.
--
HOT JAMZ 94FM
Listen Live at »sc7.shoutcaststreaming.us:8206/listen.pls

pipdipchip
8 Megabits A Second
Premium
join:2003-12-04
Hanover, MN
reply to mikedz
They're starting to show commercials here in Minnesota for the 50Mbps service. I'm planning to upgrade this summer once they get everything worked out. I might wait until the 3.0 final spec modems are released.

Can those who have it post their experiences with some benchmarks?
--
Webmaster of WRTrouters.com - Computer Science Major

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to mikedz
we're testing a third modem carrier here in delaware, so hopefully shouldnt be much longer till we see it come through

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Cjaiceman
said by Cjaiceman:

Has anyone heard if they are going to deploy 50/50 when the upstream channel bonding is approved?
Doubtful. If by some unlikely chance they did decide to market this tier you can be assured that it would make the $150 for 50/5 look like fire sale pricing. Upstream scaling on DOCSIS systems is a tougher nut to crack, making it much more expensive to develop and deploy.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

2 edits
reply to Ciscoboy
quote:
Just had this installed this afternoon.

Download Speed: 49351 kbps (6168.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4691 kbps (586.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Modem being used is the Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) DPC2505
Pix please!

melek76
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
reply to mikedz
Here is the user guide for the modem.

»www.scientificatlanta.com/produc···5259.pdf

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to espaeth
said by espaeth:

said by Cjaiceman:

Has anyone heard if they are going to deploy 50/50 when the upstream channel bonding is approved?
Doubtful. If by some unlikely chance they did decide to market this tier you can be assured that it would make the $150 for 50/5 look like fire sale pricing. Upstream scaling on DOCSIS systems is a tougher nut to crack, making it much more expensive to develop and deploy.
By design DOCSIS is an unbalanced transport, available bandwidth will always have a 6:1- 10:1 down:up ratio. That doesn't mean that will always be the way bandwidth is offered, but to offer a balanced 1:1 tier (say 50/50) they need to find a way to profitable market the remaining download capacity (around 350-400Mbps in this case)IPTV or other streaming services seem a likely choice, but that sort of app/package has yet to be developed.

mike12806
Premium
join:2007-08-28
Newton, MA
reply to mikedz
two things....don't know if they apply to your install...do you have comcast digital voice? If so, did they leave the old emta in place? And did they have to rewire or install new splitters??

melek76
Premium
Saint Paul, MN
I still have the emta, along with the SA DPC2505.

mike12806
Premium
Newton, MA
interesting! I wonder if they're procuring any pre-3.0 emtas? Seems the average sub who would be upgrading probably has CDV too....

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

1 edit
said by mike12806:

interesting! I wonder if they're procuring any pre-3.0 emtas? Seems the average sub who would be upgrading probably has CDV too....
It seems the current eMTAs do not even work with Blast speeds yet so no reason to believe they would work with Wideband.

Edit: Added...oh and I'm curious to any Wideband upgraders about RWIN settings.

Der_Idiot

join:2008-02-10
Norwood Young America, MN
reply to mikedz
Absolutely not. For this speed, the modem will remain separate. This is mostly for reliability reasons, as well as ease-of-repair. Can you imagine having to reset your mta and lose dialtone every time you called in with speed issues?

mike12806
Premium
Newton, MA
I have to do this with my comcast arris EMTA now when I have internet issues....what difference does the speed make? I doubt the higher speed is making these connections less reliable!