All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Sam2723
join:2008-04-03
Milford, CT

Sam2723 to potbellypig

to potbellypig

Re: [OOL] [OOL] Does Optimum Online still regulate torrents?

My good sir I refer you to the wonderful copyright infringement email as well as the Walled Garden page.

Had an incident where a woman with an unsecured wireless network was walled.

Her router's IP was tracked uploading CRYSIS or whatever that game is.

Security team got an email, subscriber got throttled.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

How exactly did she get throttled by cablevision?

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Sam2723

Premium Member

to Sam2723
said by Sam2723:

My good sir I refer you to the wonderful copyright infringement email as well as the Walled Garden page.

Had an incident where a woman with an unsecured wireless network was walled.

Her router's IP was tracked uploading CRYSIS or whatever that game is.

Security team got an email, subscriber got throttled.
"Had an incident....."? WHO "had an incident"?

What about non copyright file uploading? Do they "throttle" that too?

What you are talking about has NOTHING to do with OOL, it has to do with someone getting tagged via their torrent program by the RIAA/MPAA (who sets up bogus files), who then requires that the ISP sends the "letter", which can be ignored if the infringement is stopped. Please stop spreading FUD claiming that OOL blanket "throttles" of their own accord.

To the OP....OOL/BOOST does NOT "cap" or "throttle" and hasn't for years. Whether you will get tagged for copyright infringement via other ways is unknown and has nothing to do with OOL.
Sam2723
join:2008-04-03
Milford, CT

Sam2723

OOL doesn't blanket throttle.
But our network security team will throttle uploads if asked by RIAA/MPAA. It's more of a liability issue than anything.

The same thing happens if you've got an out of control trojan. Network security bricks your modem.

We block ports that are generally huge holes in network integrity. 80, 8080, 25, Squid, UDP 1080, etc.
This decreases hacking, spamming, and the like.

That's how the Quality of Service team tracks bad stuff coming from your computer.

I'm not saying that OOL will throttle your uploads just because you were torrenting. I'm saying that you not only get an email from the QOS team, your modem gets walled and you get a nice page explaining that in order to reactivate your service you need to call us.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

1 edit

Bobcat79

Premium Member

nm