Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to Gridfear

Premium Member

to Gridfear

Re: "The Grid" a long way away from general internet use

said by FFH5:

The idea is that it will ultimately be what replaces the current Internet for the mainstream public across the world.
Sounds right to me. I see us following the same path to deployment that we followed for the established internet.
said by FFH5:

Think of it like the road system in Germany. Super high speed autobahns tie together cities. But when you get to those cities, speeds drop off precipitously.

Roads and transport are governed by numerous physical limitations that don't apply to shuttling the electrons around.

As far as the data rate differences, it's the same as our existing media structure. Data across the peers travels at one rate. Data to the CO, a fraction of that. Data to the node, a fraction of that.

At present, the average (don't know about median) speed to the user is acceptable-to-good, but not inspirational.
said by FFH5:

The cities will NEVER have speeds like the autobahns. And home users will NEVER have the speeds that tie these research centers together - at least not in my or even current teens lifetimes. Will home users speeds rise? Of course. But it won't approach the speeds tying together these research centers.
Sounds like the class warfare talking points. Our (USA) poorest people live far better than kings did for thousands of years, but many only focus on the top tier and the gap between.

It's OK by me if the Top Tier Standard of Living doubles if it means mine triples. That would mean our gap would widen even further, but I would be ahead.

It's OK by me if the pencil neck's internet increases ten-fold, even if mine only increases five-fold. It's a losing game to base your success on others.

NV