TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

2 recommendations

yock

Premium Member

I'd like to propose a solution

To those of you who say you don't mind a metal box the size of a small trailer in your front yard, I say volunteer. Take the burden from those of us who refuse such eyesores and volunteer your property for right-of-way. That way the people who are concerned with their property value are unaffected and we all get our high-speed broadband.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI

burgermeister

The problem is that if they have these nasty things exposed throughout my sub, I think I'd be a little pissed -- even if it wasn't in *my* yard.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

said by burgermeister:

The problem is that if they have these nasty things exposed throughout my sub, I think I'd be a little pissed -- even if it wasn't in *my* yard.
Everything is a compromise, my friend. In 10 or 15 years even the best galvanized cabinet will begin to rust and I bet I know who will be the first to complain.

People often have to learn lessons the hard way. They'll think better of it next time when they fetch $15,000 less for their home when they sell in a few years.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI

burgermeister

You are correct. Well, for me, I'll take what I have for the broadband. I already have two cable things in my yard (those green things about 3' tall) and I don't want any more!

If they did want to install more, I may have no choice, but I have to tell you, I'd do everything I could to prevent it if the equipment was unsightly.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

We have some kind of acces box the size of a child's toy chest on our cul-de-sac and it really does affect the property value. Newer neighborhoods are constructed with these facilities in mind, and there are planned rights-of-way that sit to the side of the residential lots away from public sight. The problem comes when you want to retrofit these suburban neighborhoods that they started building after the second world war. There simply isn't any other choice for equipment location, unless you put it underground. That creates its own issues.

DiscardedVet
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Sturgis, SD

1 recommendation

DiscardedVet to yock

Premium Member

to yock
said by yock:

To those of you who say you don't mind a metal box

My money is on the fact that they don't mind when it is only a matter of "saying so" on a forum. Should a metal box appear next week in THEIR front yard, I'de bet they would be here, with pics, bitchin' about it.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
Miamisburg, OH

1 recommendation

yock

Premium Member

said by DiscardedVet:

said by yock:

To those of you who say you don't mind a metal box

My money is on the fact that they don't mind when it is only a matter of "saying so" on a forum. Should a metal box appear next week in THEIR front yard, I'de bet they would be here, with pics, bitchin' about it.

Or they don't mind it being in their parents yard. I think I get your drift. =)
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to yock

to yock
You can always put poles up.